Rock waltzes

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Rock waltzes

Post by Spin Echo »

I'm looking for various rock/pop/metal songs with waltz beats, for example, Nothing Else Matters by Metallica. Suggestions?
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

November Rain by Guns and Roses might qualify
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Deathstalker wrote:November Rain by Guns and Roses might qualify
I don't think that tune actually goes into 3/4, but it's been a while since I last heard it.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen is in 3/4 time (3/8?) and I personally think it's gorgeous.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Stormy Pinkness by They Might Be Giants is waltz.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

-"Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" by the Beatles is 3/4 in the verses with a 4/4 chorus
-"Waltz #2", by Elliot Smith
-"Whipping Post" by the Allman Brothers Band (although the intro is in this wierd 11/16 beat or something)
Last edited by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi on 2007-02-06 08:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Cemetary Gates by Pantera, perhaps?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

There's a song by System Of A Down that has a waltz beat. Damn if I can remember the name though. Maybe someone else knows? What do you need them for?
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, Hero by Chad Kroeger qualifies as a waltz.

EDIT: Also, since it's a parody of Piano Man, Ode to a Superhero by Weird Al.
Last edited by Executor32 on 2007-02-08 12:04am, edited 1 time in total.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Ooh, I forgot about Piano Man by Billy Joel. That's probably one of the best-known ones.

One of my personal favorites is Amazed by Poe. Hardly anyone's ever heard of Poe the recording artist, but I think she's brilliant, and Amazed puts a nice emphasis on the 3/4 time signature so it may be what you're looking for.

And although the music probably isn't quite rock (maybe folk-rock?), I have to mention Thea Gilmore's song, Land of the Free, because it's in a nice slow 3/4 and the lyrics are beautiful.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

The song "In the Flesh', by Pink Floyd, is in 3/4. I should know, because we did a winter drumline show to that, and I hate marching in 3/4, 5/4, 7/4, or variants thereof.
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

Aha! I found it. The name of the SoAD song is "Peephole". Took me long enough.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Wikipedia says Led Zeppelin- Kashmir is 3/4.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him