Don't piss off an engineer!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Don't piss off an engineer!

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Anyone got a calculator?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

What now? Randall gets the check returned and charged a late fee.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a check for $0.002

Of course I could be mistaken since I haven't taken any math courses in nearly 8 years.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

No aerius. You're correct. That's a check for 2/10's of a cent.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Which begs the question, how the heck does one end up with a bill for 0.2 cents? :?
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Indeed it is (.2 cents). It's really not even clever. If he had cared enough to make a single expression that would resolve down to .002, rather than just adding zero, I'd appreciate it a whole lot more... :|
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

muse wrote:Which begs the question, how the heck does one end up with a bill for 0.2 cents? :?
Literally the company could simply think the said person owes them .02 from an earlier bill and sent him a letter stating such.

Though as for the check? One, the company recieveing it will dispose of it because they cannot make heads or tails and send another letter demanding their money with added late charges. Two, It's easier if you know the company is filled with bullshit to dig through your records and contest the claim. Most companies fold pretty nicely under such demands.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

muse wrote:Which begs the question, how the heck does one end up with a bill for 0.2 cents? :?
IIRC, this is from a complaint WRT Verizon; the guy was quoted that it'd cost .002 cents per kilobyte of data, but they charged him .002 dollars per kb. Apparently he lost the fight and was charged the full $.002. In reply, the OP happened.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Link

The issue that started it.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Don't piss off an engineer!

Post by wautd »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Anyone got a calculator?
That wouldn't do me much good. I fail at math
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

The math of that check, with annotations. First is the $.002, which should be obvious. Second is the e^(i*pi) term; this is a special case of Euler's Formula, known as Euler's Identity, and it comes out to -1. The third term is the sum of all powers of (1/2)^n, starting with n=1; I was unable to find anything useful on this, but it sums to one, eventually. So the check reads .002 +1 + (-1), or $.002. Quod erat demonstratum.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

darthbob88 wrote:IIRC, this is from a complaint WRT Verizon; the guy was quoted that it'd cost .002 cents per kilobyte of data, but they charged him .002 dollars per kb. Apparently he lost the fight and was charged the full $.002. In reply, the OP happened.
Of course, the xkcd picture (check from Randall Munroe) is a joke in response to hearing about the Verizon .002 we-say-cents-but-mean-dollars thing, and said incident with Verizon happened to someone else.

(And, apparently, he writes checks about as often as I do... almost never...)
Later...
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

don't piss off the bank manager who tells the smart ass engineer that his check is not negotiable because the legal line is not valid.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy