Matching dress / bags

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Matching dress / bags

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Odd question for those more in tune with female fashions or matching colour stuff.

My girlfriend has had her eye on this dress

which I have picked up cheap on eBay for her birthday in a few months. Since I've got that, I'm thinking about trying to find matching accessories - in terms of colours though, I'm not sure. A friend says that if I get a bag, then it should match the shoes, but that the bag and shoes do not necessarily have to be the same colour as the dress, but that if it does, then the bag should probably be slightly more complex.

With that host of criteria, I'm now stuck wondering what colours do go with the dress and my girlfriend's paler complexion and what I think classifies as currently auburn hair.

Any thoughts by those of slightly better fashion mindedness than me would be useful.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Just leave it at the dress, if I was your GF I would want to choose my own accessories myself. Everyone has different tastes and if you get her some shoes or a purse that she doesn't like she'll feel bad and probably won't tell you. I think the dress is enough of a gift, especially if she's been wanting it for quite some time now.

That's just my opinion on the matter.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Re: Matching dress / bags

Post by salm »

El Moose Monstero wrote:... then the bag should probably be slightly more complex.
Why? :wtf:

Anyway, black or white matches everything.
Avoid all red things. Red will be an eyesore combined with that color.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Actually salm, with that colour I think black or white would stand out too much, if he's gonna get a bag he should get one a similar colour (like a lighter pink) or the same colour as the dress.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I´d rate it as a good thing if these accessoirs stood out. That way we have the dress as one part of the outfit and the combination of the rest as a second part.

(haha, i can´t believe i´m arguing about what matches a pink dress.)
El Moose Monstero

Re: Matching dress / bags

salm wrote:
El Moose Monstero wrote:... then the bag should probably be slightly more complex.
Why? :wtf:
Oh, I have no idea, this was her (the friend I asked) opinion on the subject, which was why I was additionally posting here. I was hoping to whisk my g/f off to an ultra posh restaurant on her birthday, hence why I was contemplating at least shoes/bag, so that if she wished, she could wear it out right away.

I do take your point, Mrs. Kendall, it's always risky doing these things, and I'm not 100% sure whether I will get anything else yet, was just trying to figure out what colours to go for if I did.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Ok then, if you do buy the shoes and purse, I would say go for a plain light pink purse and shoes. It's always nice if the shoes and bag don't match the dress exactly but best if the shoes and bag match eachother nicely. A nice subtle contrast.

I find that in the pic you posted the lady has beige shoes and while they sort of match her hair I find they look awkward with the dress colour. That's just my opinion.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and have a good time :)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

A 'more complex' bag would be on that has a different pattern to it, instead of being just pink. Perhaps it would have a touch of gold to offset the pink, or maybe inlays of various pink shades, including the dress's shade. Complimentary colors work as well.

As for a solid color bag, black or white is Right Out. You'd want a soft ivory or golden shade.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Christ, I'm glad I'm a guy.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Durandal wrote:Christ, I'm glad I'm a guy.
Well, the upside of being a guy in situation like this is that once you give the dress and bag and shoes combo then you are in for one awesome goddamn night.

And usually an awesome goddamn night every time she wears that outfit too. Its why I don't mind going clothes shopping with Sarah...
Namarie
Padawan Learner

Post by Namarie »

LadyTevar wrote:A 'more complex' bag would be on that has a different pattern to it, instead of being just pink. Perhaps it would have a touch of gold to offset the pink, or maybe inlays of various pink shades, including the dress's shade. Complimentary colors work as well.

As for a solid color bag, black or white is Right Out. You'd want a soft ivory or golden shade.
Agree, a soft ivory or a gold I think would look best.

Find out if shes a gold or a silver girl (if you dont already know). If shes into gold go with that, if shes into silver, look for ivory.
Yay.
El Moose Monstero

Namarie wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:A 'more complex' bag would be on that has a different pattern to it, instead of being just pink. Perhaps it would have a touch of gold to offset the pink, or maybe inlays of various pink shades, including the dress's shade. Complimentary colors work as well.

Agree, a soft ivory or a gold I think would look best.

Find out if shes a gold or a silver girl (if you dont already know). If shes into gold go with that, if shes into silver, look for ivory.
Generally a silver person, but I know that her best jewellery is gold, so it sounds like gold is the direction to go in - thanks for the help, all contributors. I'll be sure to post a picture of us both when it actually comes to it. :D