Doctor Who - The Master to return?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Doctor Who - The Master to return?

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php#ne ... FAxhxRkkXc

Was looking at Outpost gallifrey's news, and I found this
With the popular cult telefantasy series Life on Mars returning for a final time on BBC1 this Tuesday, the Independent on Sunday newspaper have a profile and interview with the lead actor, John Simm, which starts off with the statement:

"Travelling back through the years for hit show 'Life on Mars' has given the actor more fame than he knows how to cope with. But now he reveals to Liz Hoggard a new role that will mean seeing a Doctor."

During the course of the interview the article goes on to seemingly confirm a rumour first raised in the Sun by saying the following:

"Although the BBC is planning a spin-off to Life on Mars - called Ashes to Ashes, set in the 1980s and starring [Philip] Glenister, Simm is bowing out. 'My instinct tells me not to hang around too long.'

"He'd like to do some comedy 'in warm weather - preferably on a beach. I always seem to be doing drama in horrible brick locations.' And for years he's been dying to play a proper villain or a serial killer. The problem is Simm still looks 35 going on 15, but finally he's got the chance: he's just been cast in Dr Who - as the Master, the Doctor's evil nemesis. He'll be quite brilliant, of course, but heaven knows how he'll cope with a whole new horde of obsessive Tardis fans."
The original article from the Independent is found
here
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I think I heared this was yet anouther Sun story. So, as always. Take with several hundred zillion billion truckloads of salt.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Ok, I take it that the Sun is a dodgy newspaper in the UK. But what about the Independent?

Generally outpost gallifrey gives good info. There is also another rumour that someone else will play another Time Lord, however that seems to have been from the Sun as well, so I will hold off that one.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

That's the UK Newspaper industry for you, they all steal stories from each other without ever confirming it :P

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

From Wiki, so take it with a pinch of salt
He is expected to be in the BBC science fiction series Doctor Who, where he is reported to be playing the Master, the Doctor's evil nemesis. The casting was first rumoured in the UK tabloid The Sun, which claimed that Simm would appear in a major twist at the end of the forthcoming third series.[2] He has since been interviewed by the Independent newspaper (on 11th February 2007), where he discussed the new series of Life On Mars. The article confirmed the casting, though there was not any direct quotes on the subject from Simm.[3] However, the casting has not yet been confirmed by the BBC.
But it seems like Simms confirmed he will be playing the Master when interviewed by the Independent, rather than just copying off what the Sun wrote. I suggest we wait for the BBC to confirm it, but if he independently confirmed it, it sounds a bit more credible than if it just came from a tabloid, so I am optimistic.

The original article from the Sun
here

If any one is interested, it also mentioned Shakespearean actor Sir Derek Jacobi, 68, will play another Who foe — The Professor. This guy is apparently a Time Lord as well.

If this is the case, I vote for "Professor Chronatis" who appeared in the Tom Baker story Shada, which wasn't finished, but they released it on VHS with Baker doing the narration to fill in the unfilmed parts. Professor Chronatis of course turned out to the Time Lord criminal Scaleeven ? sp, a TL who developed vast mental powers and was imprisoned on Shada before he escaped.

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

If any one is interested, it also mentioned Shakespearean actor Sir Derek Jacobi, 68, will play another Who foe — The Professor. This guy is apparently a Time Lord as well.
The Beeb has already confirmed Derek Jacobi. (he's the one meant to be play "The Professor" or some such,

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Claudius to play an evil time lord, COOL!

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Claudius to play an evil time lord, COOL!
Hey, just have a look at him in Dead Again and as the wicked King Claudius in Kenneth Branaugh's lavish 4-hour film of Hamlet. Oh, Sir Derek can do evil, alright...

I suppose it was inevitable that the Time Lords would start creeping back into the new series. Personally, I'd have done their reintroduction a bit differently, held it off for a few more years, but we'll just see how this works out.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

There was a Time Lord called the Professor? According to Wikipedia, The Doctor was called that by one of his companions, Ace.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

The news actually sounds quite reliable (note, the Sun was the first to call the Cyberman - Dalek confrontation, long before anyone was willing to believe it). Other sources seem to be pretty much confirming it.

Personally? I think it's all the right ingredients for awesome pie. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
StarKillaz
Redshirt

Post by StarKillaz »

As much as I would love to have a new story featuring the master once again, I just really hope they handle his re-introduction carefully.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Master never did seem to be the type to listen to the TimeLords, so I can see how he'd ignore the call to the TimeWar.

Especially if that meddlesome Doctor was in the TimeWar. Let the fools fight, and the Master shall pick up the pieces of the aftermath.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Just as long as they go head-to-head somewhere outside the Solar System, I'll be happy.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Vympel wrote:There was a Time Lord called the Professor? According to Wikipedia, The Doctor was called that by one of his companions, Ace.
There was also the Time Lord known as Professor Chronotis, who was lodging himself as a physics professor at Cambridge for his retirement (his dorm rooms were his TARDIS), who in actuality was Salyavin, an escapee from the Time Lords' prison world, Shada.

It would be more interesting if this Professor, rather than just a straight-out villain (or just another incarnation of the Master) was simply an antagonist; a man who may or may not hold the Doctor to blame for the destruction of their people. Perhaps a last survivor of the High Council. Or maybe from a faction of surviving Time Lords who are attempting to establish a new order but are wary of how the Doctor would react to their plans.
Last edited by Patrick Degan on 2007-02-12 08:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

And once more it's back the well.... :?
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Didn't Jacobi play the Master in Scream of the Shalka?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

DIdn't the Master get killed once and for all in the 8th Doctor's TV movie?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

2000AD wrote:DIdn't the Master get killed once and for all in the 8th Doctor's TV movie?
Yes. But he got killed "once and for all" before that, too. As have the Daleks, a number of times.

This is scifi, mate. There's no such thing as permanent unless the writers demand it. :)

IGUANA: Aye, he did. An android version who was acting as the Doctor's companion.

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I haven't been following Dr. Who for that long but do the Time Lords ever encounter each other on a non-linear time line.

That kind of stuff seems to be really popular in various time travel stories so couldn't the current Dr. Who encounter a version of the Master (or other Time Lord for that mater) from before the Time War?

I would think it would be very difficult to have a whole society of time travelers bouncing around time and space encountering each other in different relative times.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Tsyroc wrote:I haven't been following Dr. Who for that long but do the Time Lords ever encounter each other on a non-linear time line.

That kind of stuff seems to be really popular in various time travel stories so couldn't the current Dr. Who encounter a version of the Master (or other Time Lord for that mater) from before the Time War?

I would think it would be very difficult to have a whole society of time travelers bouncing around time and space encountering each other in different relative times.
Nitpick: His name is The Doctor, not Doctor Who. :)

I believe the Time War worked by kind of retroactively destroying a lot of things, but I'm not sure. One way or another the Doctor sees going back to Gallifrey as impossible.

Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

mr friendly guy wrote:From Wiki, so take it with a pinch of salt
He is expected to be in the BBC science fiction series Doctor Who, where he is reported to be playing the Master, the Doctor's evil nemesis. The casting was first rumoured in the UK tabloid The Sun, which claimed that Simm would appear in a major twist at the end of the forthcoming third series.[2] He has since been interviewed by the Independent newspaper (on 11th February 2007), where he discussed the new series of Life On Mars. The article confirmed the casting, though there was not any direct quotes on the subject from Simm.[3] However, the casting has not yet been confirmed by the BBC.
But it seems like Simms confirmed he will be playing the Master when interviewed by the Independent, rather than just copying off what the Sun wrote. I suggest we wait for the BBC to confirm it, but if he independently confirmed it, it sounds a bit more credible than if it just came from a tabloid, so I am optimistic.

The original article from the Sun
here

If this is the case, I vote for "Professor Chronatis" who appeared in the Tom Baker story Shada, which wasn't finished, but they released it on VHS with Baker doing the narration to fill in the unfilmed parts. Professor Chronatis of course turned out to the Time Lord criminal Scaleeven ? sp, a TL who developed vast mental powers and was imprisoned on Shada before he escaped.
an old foe makes me think about "The Monk" that appeard in the Daleks master plan in the Hartnell Era.
now im just a new Whovian from America. but what ever happend to "The Monk" the guy with the Tardis that had the cloaking device that works?
and is this old man maby "The Monk"
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Tychu wrote:an old foe makes me think about "The Monk" that appeard in the Daleks master plan in the Hartnell Era.
now im just a new Whovian from America. but what ever happend to "The Monk" the guy with the Tardis that had the cloaking device that works?
and is this old man maby "The Monk"
Chamelion circuit —not cloaking device (thank you, Phil Segal, for that bit of bullshit).

The Monk, a.k.a the Meddler a.k.a. Mortimus, ended up stranded on an ice planet after the Doctor removed a critical component he needed for his own TARDIS to outrace the Daleks to Kembel. We never saw him again except in the Virgin Books DW novel No Future (Paul Cornell).
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Oh yeah, and I heard a rumour that Sir Derek Jacobi will regenerate into John Simm.

glass
Youngling

Post by glass »

Tsyroc wrote:I haven't been following Dr. Who for that long but do the Time Lords ever encounter each other on a non-linear time line.
It isn't unheard of (afterall, the doctor has met himself), but it doesn't generally happen. ISTM that there are two time dimensions, the first of which is relatively easy to travel in. The second applies to time travellers, so they still have a 'before' and 'after'. Occasionally some mishap leads to travel in this dimesion too, but it is rare and difficult (and possibly dangerous).

That's my $0.02, anyway.

glass.
'Half full of shit' -Circvs Maximvs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Time lords are forbidden to "cross their own time lines" and hence meet themselves at an earlier time. However this law seems to be a legal limitation rather than a limit of the laws of physics, as Time Lords have done it numerous times when it suited them to.