Assorted ST:Remastered shots

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Assorted ST:Remastered shots

Post by VT-16 »

I felt I had to post a thread like this on the site, given that I was so impressed by the work done by the small group of people hired to do the CG updates to ST:TOS. Wasn't sure if it would be better in the PST forum, but since it's about art and photos, basically, I thought it best to put it here.

Bridge leading to the dueling arena:

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9075 ... skywi9.jpg

Dueling arena overlooking a Marsian-esqe Vulcan rock plateau and a Vulcan city below:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... 4arena.jpg

The animators were inspired by imagry from both TAS and ST:III when creating these shots. Nice visual continuity for the TOS-era. 8)

If I find other cool shots being released before the relevant episodes air, I'll post them here for your benefit.
Last edited by VT-16 on 2007-04-22 07:20am, edited 2 times in total.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

They look more like TMP and TSfS than Ent era Vulcan, although they are not to far off.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Yup, that seems to be deliberate.

I wonder if the city is supposed to be ShiKahr, since Spock says the area has been in his family for generations (IIRC).
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

MariusRoi wrote:They look more like TMP and TSfS than Ent era Vulcan,
this is awesome
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Uraniun235 wrote:
this is awesome
ENT era Vulcan looked fine.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It does have its similarities, but I like the transition from brownish orange to deep red of the studio set, which can be seen on the new TOS shot there. Like the duel itself takes place in the evening.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

TOS Remastered gets aired late Saturday nights here, and actually a week off: "The Doomsday Machine" aired last night (which was awesome) instead of "Amok Time," which will be airing next week.

Suffice to say, I've seen the screencaps to AT on TrekMovie.com, and can't wait to see how it actually plays in the episode proper.
Bounty wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:
this is awesome
ENT era Vulcan looked fine.
But TOS Era looked better. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

These are the kinds of ret-cons I fully support. I don't want to stat a new-old BSG argument again, but a lot of people could learn a thing or two from this.

Especially the fucking idiots who designed the show Enterprise.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The Trekmovie site also has FX reels for each new episode that comes along, so you should check that out. The scale of the desolate landscape is especially effective when Spock beams out after the duel is over and he thinks he's killed Kirk. You can see a tiny shimmer from his transportation in the middle of the arena, in the middle of the picture, with the plateau in the background and the city below that. Actually added some extra emotion and weight to it, like he's completely isolated. :)

They also added a suitable background to the profile photo of T'Pring at age 7.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... tpring.jpg

Gives me hope that we'll see something of Tarsus IV behind the profile picture of Kodos the Executioner, once that episode rolls along. 8)
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

VT-16 wrote:The Trekmovie site also has FX reels for each new episode that comes along, so you should check that out. The scale of the desolate landscape is especially effective when Spock beams out after the duel is over and he thinks he's killed Kirk. You can see a tiny shimmer from his transportation in the middle of the arena, in the middle of the picture, with the plateau in the background and the city below that. Actually added some extra emotion and weight to it, like he's completely isolated. :)

They also added a suitable background to the profile photo of T'Pring at age 7.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... tpring.jpg

Gives me hope that we'll see something of Tarsus IV behind the profile picture of Kodos the Executioner, once that episode rolls along. 8)
That's terrific. When these come to DVD, they'll be a must-buy.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Here's a line up of what episodes will be airing over approximately the next month, according to Memory Alpha:

"The Paradise Syndrome" (24 February 2007)
"Wolf in the Fold" (10 March 2007)
"The Tholian Web" (31 March 2007)
"The Immunity Syndrome" (7 April 2007)

I'm actually quite excited to see what they'll do (in their generally conservative manner, of course) for the last two in particular.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

VT-16 wrote:Gives me hope that we'll see something of Tarsus IV behind the profile picture of Kodos the Executioner, once that episode rolls along. 8)
I hope we get an elderly Hoshi Sato (it's canon she died there).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

We won't. Stuff like that goes against what they're doing and why they're doing it.

I hope that we never see any sort of crap like that. Everything they've done so far is perfect and conservative, and pulling something like that would just ruin it all.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:We won't. Stuff like that goes against what they're doing and why they're doing it.

I hope that we never see any sort of crap like that. Everything they've done so far is perfect and conservative, and pulling something like that would just ruin it all.
Agreed. I like the idea of simply redoing the episodes as if modern FX technology had been available in the sixties, I don't have any particular need for them to be expanded with what is essentially trivia that won't even matter to much of the fandom.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

While I'm usually against other eras being incorporated into the TOS era, I have no problem with individual actors (like Michael Dorn playing Colonel Worf in ST:VI etc.), so the actress being included in some way wouldn't bother me. I just don't think, based on the mugshot-like photo, that there would be much room for anything other than, say, a part of the governor's mansion showing in the background.

The cityscape of Planet Q in the same episode is probably getting a proper matte treatment, though, since it was a cardboard cutout of the Mojave cityscape from "The Cage". That's another part I like about this remastering, they make each planet look more unique, both from orbit and from the buildings on the ground. 8)

Here's some more pics to illustrate:

USS Constellation, from "The Doomsday Machine":

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... onnewb.jpg

Leaving the known galaxy, from "Where No Man Has Gone Before":

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... o_shot.jpg

The Great Barrier, same ep:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... arrier.jpg

The Orion ship (designed by Mike Okuda) retains the spinning effect, but now as a propulsion system, from "Journey to Babel":

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... p_pass.jpg

Ambassador Sarek's shuttle landing, same ep:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... ding_2.jpg

Kirk and Mr. Red-shirt, from "Wink of an Eye" (they had to use some kind of time-consuming technique to make the new background match the actors standing in front of it, all just to make the city look unique rather than a cheap recycling of an older cityscape):

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/ ... _matte.jpg

Yonada, from "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky":

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/CptK/yonada2.jpg
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Wow, I had no idea that it would look this good. That was a positive surprise.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I like how they're throwing in more and more semi-realistic astronomical events in their SFX, like having the planet's surface sheared off in the initial shockwave, and then the planet dissolves like a frail leaf when the nova reaches it.