Civil War #7 - Spoilers

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Civil War #7 - Spoilers

Post by TheDarkling »

Cap decides that fighting causes harm and surrenders, everybody else except five or six guys decides that registration isn't bad after all.

We get treated to a love letter ending from Millar to Tony Stark about how there will be no more crime and the super humans will solve world hunger and global warming.

You might have guessed I wasn't impressed.

Although Herc smashing Clor's face in was cool.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

And lo and behold, we have another Infinite Crisis clone in every respect: Good start, goes downhill after the fourth issue, and falls apart completely in the final part. God, please let the Hulk actually kick these guys' asses come summer.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

What the fuck?

You're kidding right?

Iron Man needs to die god damnit.

Please tell me you are kidding.

PLEASE!
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I haven't been reading the actual comics (although I did see the "dubbed" Civil War parodies which were the same except for the dialogue), but I've been keeping up with this on the internet.

Captain America, who has been through actual war and faced world and universe-destroying threats, suddenly decides that the property damage caused in this issue's battle was going too far? Just like that he gives up, even though he's sure in his heart that registration is wrong? My ass.

Disgruntled comic fans are calling this ending completely anticlimatic, and are already expecting all the changes from Civil War to be reversed in a few months by this summer's "big crossover event," World War Hulk (yes, they already had another crossover event planned before Civil War was even finished). :roll:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

KrauserKrauser wrote:What the fuck?

You're kidding right?

Iron Man needs to die god damnit.

Please tell me you are kidding.

PLEASE!
I would very much like to but I can't.

If you manage to keep your stomach contents down after seeing the last panel of Stark and Miriam Sharpe looking into the sun signifying the bold new future (with Stark saying the best is yet to come)then you will have won a great victory.

Oh the plush side he calls her "sweetheart" so I betting within a couple of minutes he christened his new quarters on the Helicarrier (oh yeah he is the new Director of SHIELD), nothing like taking advantage of a grieving mother eh Tony.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Jim Raynor wrote:I haven't been reading the actual comics (although I did see the "dubbed" Civil War parodies which were the same except for the dialogue), but I've been keeping up with this on the internet.

Captain America, who has been through actual war and faced world and universe-destroying threats, suddenly decides that the property damage caused in this issue's battle was going too far? Just like that he gives up, even though he's sure in his heart that registration is wrong? My ass.
He says something about how they are just fighting for fighting sake (when the damage is pointed out to him) and they can't win the argument through fighting (I could have told him that 6 issues back).

Of course he started getting upset when police men and firemen attacked him to save Tony Stark(vomit inducing scene # 2).

He even starts crying.
Disgruntled comic fans are calling this ending completely anticlimatic, and are already expecting all the changes from Civil War to be reversed in a few months by this summer's "big crossover event," World War Hulk (yes, they already had another crossover event planned before Civil War was even finished). :roll:
I think you are confusing expect with hope, everybody is hoping that registration and Stark will get hammered by the Hulk but I'm not sure it will.
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Dont forget that Reed and Tonly will get their asses kicked by Thor when he returns. And when they die he'll give them too Hel.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Reed promised no more clones so he could back into Sue unmentionables so Clor may be a thing of the past.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I think it was more along the lines of Cap tired of fighting friends instead of just fighting in general.

Most world-destroying threats aren't your former friends and allies.

Unless it's anime, then it's a given.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Dude, what the hell? This is just sad, and all but confirms my suspicions of a Crisis-like continuity "adjustment" coming up soon.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Majin Gojira wrote:I think it was more along the lines of Cap tired of fighting friends instead of just fighting in general.
The civilians didn't say look your beating up Ironman they pointed out the damage to the city (and the comic then gives us a panel of the damage) before Cap goes "Oh God".

He doesn't once mention that fact that he is fighting his "friends" (personally anybody who tries to throw me in an extra dimensional concentration camp is off the Christmas card list).
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

In conjunction with?

Okay, I haven't read it yet, I'm still trying to peice togther what happened and make what logic I can of it.

If not normal logic than emotional logic.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

God Fucking Damnit, they had a great ippirtunity in Civil War but of course fucking wasted it. Talk about a case of Comic blue balls, that is the weakest ending I could have imagined.

So, basically, all of the anti registration people are going to sit on their fucking hands as the government runs hog wild on them, no objections to the idea of using super villains as a fighting force?

I don't see it at all. it's like the writers must have just decided, what is the lamest most idiotic cop out you guys can think of? Completely ignore one side of the argument and just have Iron Man win? Good, let me go fuck myslef with my Iron Man replica doll and shit of the rest of the plot line.

I don't get it, I really don't. You had Inifinite Crisis as a great example of what not to do. DON'T make a huge crossover and have nothing lasting happen in the end. DON'T get your fans' expectations of a huge fight with actual consequences up and then drop it in the last inning.

I really enjoyed Civil War, at least teh first few episodes of it. They continually wrote Iron Man and the pro reg people as the biggest dicks in the universe and then they have their side win? When their side is implementing a draft and even used FUCKING SUPER VILLAINS in it's plans to win the war? Talk about morally bankrupt, it's not even sane, whoever wrote this abomination needs to be fired, black balled in the industry or at least hired with DC to accentuate teh giant blakc hole of suck that DC has become.

Unless, in the first issue of World War Hulk, the Hulk arrives on Earth and physically rips Iron Man in half and proceeds have sex with either half, I won't fucking read it. There is no point. They obviously aren't going to have any lasting consequences, unless you wank off to obscure heroes that they randomly throw in to show the seriousness of the event (Hello Goliath and random villains killed by the Punisher). What is the point? They had a great opportunity and succeeded in wasting it.

I think I'll skip Marvel until I see what happens with Hulk, unless they kill Iron Man or Reed, I could give two shits.

KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

TheDarkling wrote:Reed promised no more clones so he could back into Sue unmentionables so Clor may be a thing of the past.
Cop out. He should be brought up on criminal charges. He killed Goliath, everyone else is just fine with that?

Bullshit, plain and simple.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

TheDarkling wrote:The civilians didn't say look your beating up Ironman they pointed out the damage to the city (and the comic then gives us a panel of the damage) before Cap goes "Oh God".
And that's what I find retarded. Cap has basically seen it all, and some property damage is supposed to disturb him so much? I could maybe believe that if New York really gets fucked up, but that's not what I'm hearing.

What Cap really should be thinking is "Is what I'm fighting for worth causing this damage?" And what he's fighting for is saving dozens of his comrades from being locked up in a thinly-veiled Gitmo in some other dimension, or being forced into a government-controlled superhuman army.

There's one obvious solution if he suddenly realizes that fighting won't do any good: run away, go underground, and keep up the superheroics (which is what they were doing earlier in the series) while saving other heroes and trying to sway the public and the government against the Registration Act. There's no need for big battles like what happened in issue #7, but that doesn't mean he has to surrendur either.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

TheDarkling wrote:I think you are confusing expect with hope, everybody is hoping that registration and Stark will get hammered by the Hulk but I'm not sure it will.
No, I'm not. While I'm sure a lot of fans do want that to happen (not surprising giving the way they've portrayed Iron Man recently), I've also seen lots of cynical fans pointing out that Marvel has already given itself numerous "outs" or already reversed the changes caused by Civil War. Many of them expect that the anti-Registration heroes would be let off the hook so they can help out in World War Hulk

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

The worst of it was that they were winning the battle, Clor was down, Stark was crippled, Reed had been shot by one of the villains on his side, the Atlanteans were kicking but and so on.

Cap just gets misty eyed about some property damage (as you put it) and the fact that they are no longer fighting for the people (which he is even if the people are too stupid to realise it).
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Jim Raynor wrote:
*bzzzzt* wrong answer, they had it planned before they had Civil War planned, it was suppose to be the follow-up to Planet Hulk.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

... *decides to stick to Punisher MAX*
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So, let's take bets. Which Mark Millar-helmed project will have the greater cop-out of an ending: Civil War # 7 or Ultimates 2 # 13 will
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

JME2 wrote:So, let's take bets. Which Mark Millar-helmed project will have the greater cop-out of an ending: Civil War # 7 or Ultimates 2 # 13 will
I wasn't impressed by 12 to tell you the truth, felt like all build up (in the previous issues) and then just a books worth of punching.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Edward Yee wrote:... *decides to stick to Punisher MAX*
Have you read the first issue of the Barracuda mini?
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

I thought it was really good ending, actually. Totally believable for Cap to do, and one of the few times I've respected the character.

And it wasn't just "property damage" that stopped him, it was the fact that innocent people were getting injured and killed because of the superheroes fighting. People were dying as a direct result of Captain America and his resistances actions. We saw some of the fight at ground-level in Frontline #10, although most were evacuated quickly, when the fight moved to the streets there was still a whole lot of civilians around and a whole lot of collateral damage.

Other high points:

Spiderman kicking Reed in the neck.
Hercules putting the clone in his place. "THOU ART NO THOR!"
Namor and his posse showing up. Gotta love the ol' IMPERIUS REX! battlecry.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:I thought it was really good ending, actually. Totally believable for Cap to do, and one of the few times I've respected the character.

And it wasn't just "property damage" that stopped him, it was the fact that innocent people were getting injured and killed because of the superheroes fighting. People were dying as a direct result of Captain America and his resistances actions. We saw some of the fight at ground-level in Frontline #10, although most were evacuated quickly, when the fight moved to the streets there was still a whole lot of civilians around and a whole lot of collateral damage.
That always happens, I haven't seen Cap decide to just lay down arms when fighting other villains.

He also had to know that it would lead to this, war has collateral damage, Steve was around in WW2 when we were levelling entire areas of cities for objectives.

It also amazes me that it only just occurred to him.
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

A dissapointing ending, for a dissapointing mini series. That's really all that needs to be said about Civil War. Hopefully World War Hulk will be better.