Civil War #7 - Spoilers

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

So...has Marvel ever had a good company wide crossover? The closest thing I can think of is Age of Apocalypse, which suffers from NOT being company-wide (to a large extent) and very inconsistant writing from book to book.

Am I missing anything that Marvel has ever done well on a large scale?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

NeoGoomba wrote:So...has Marvel ever had a good company wide crossover? The closest thing I can think of is Age of Apocalypse, which suffers from NOT being company-wide (to a large extent) and very inconsistant writing from book to book.

Am I missing anything that Marvel has ever done well on a large scale?
Secret Wars is about as good as marvel got. Filled with bizarre side stories, the beginning of one of Spiderman's biggest changes, and of whole not horribly bad.

Most of the times, Crossovers such as this fail to do anything at the end, because the companies are scared to change.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Some questions from someone who hasn't read this himself:

WHY did Cap choose to teleport both sides out onto the streets to fight it out?

-He already succeeded in freeing the captured heroes.
-As I said earlier in this thread, fighting Iron Man's forces wouldn't solve anything. Cap should have just gone underground and tried to sway the people against the registration act (it's not like his name, and Tony's actions didn't give him a ton of great propaganda material).
-Is there any reason why Cloak couldn't just teleport Cap's forces, and only Cap's forces?
-If you decide to fight it out (for some idiotic reason), why not try to keep the damage contained by staying inside the Baxter Building?

Was there an actual explanation of this, or is this a massive plot hole?
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Jim Raynor wrote:Some questions from someone who hasn't read this himself:

WHY did Cap choose to teleport both sides out onto the streets to fight it out?

-He already succeeded in freeing the captured heroes.
-As I said earlier in this thread, fighting Iron Man's forces wouldn't solve anything. Cap should have just gone underground and tried to sway the people against the registration act (it's not like his name, and Tony's actions didn't give him a ton of great propaganda material).
-Is there any reason why Cloak couldn't just teleport Cap's forces, and only Cap's forces?
-If you decide to fight it out (for some idiotic reason), why not try to keep the damage contained by staying inside the Baxter Building?

Was there an actual explanation of this, or is this a massive plot hole?
He tried to get the gateway to Riker's open but they stopped him, he then tried the same with the Baxter building and they stopped him again so Cloak was forced to teleport them out and because battle hand already been joined cloak couldn't pick out individuals to teleport (as I understand his powers).

Although I would think Wiccan could have done "IwanttoteleportthegoodguysIwanttoteleportthegoodguysIwanttoteleportthegoodguys".
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

That may have been one of the weakest endings ever written. It shied away from addressing every single one of the questions the series raised. This was an act of editorial cowardice.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:Hercules putting the clone in his place. "THOU ART NO THOR!"
That in particular was especially stupid. Why did the "clone" have gadgetry instead of brains? Is one to conclude that Hercules's ham-fisted delivery of Lloyd Bentsen's hackneyed quip is what passes for 'cleverness' with Mr. Millar?
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

...completely weak ending.

Considering all the questions raised, the subplots showed (especially with the Stark using the Civil War to make himself billions or however much he made...) all left hanging....

What the hell man...about the only decent thing in the comic was Spidey in his black costume. Oh...and fuck Maria Hill and Stark. They've been pissing me off ever since the first issue.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

DarkSilver wrote:What the hell man...about the only decent thing in the comic was Spidey in his black costume. Oh...and fuck Maria Hill and Stark. They've been pissing me off ever since the first issue.
I will admit to being curious as to what will happen with Hill and SHIELD in the war's aftermath. Whatever my complaints about the fourth New Avengers arc, "The Collective", it did show that Hill was on the side of angels -- after a fashion, anyway. But it still didn't answer the question of who in SHIELD was involved in those illegal operations from the start of New Avengers (as well as possibly the break-out from the Raft). With New Avengers finally returning to solving the mystery and Mighty Avengers launching simultaneously, I'll be most curious what role Tony's new coup will have on the storyline.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I'll have to go by the LCS and see if it really is that bad, because I'm thinking about how it's being discussed and considering how such an ending (in general) could be made to work.

I doubt my vision of reality is anywhere close to actual reality, but I'll dream for at least another day or two.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

Majin Gojira wrote:I'll have to go by the LCS and see if it really is that bad,
Its worse.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

So the moral of this story is that Rich Bad Guys Always Win. Thank christ I only bought the first two issues of this abortion of a comic miniseries.

When are they gonna retcon Parker's unmasking... (it's not a question of If, but When)

*sticks to Ex Machina and Star Wars comics, wonders about picking up Y The Last Man and 100 Bullets, maybe Morrison's run on JLA... finally, FUCKING, SICK AND TIRED, OF MARVEL'S BULLSHIT*
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Jim Raynor wrote:
What Cap really should be thinking is "Is what I'm fighting for worth causing this damage?" And what he's fighting for is saving dozens of his comrades from being locked up in a thinly-veiled Gitmo in some other dimension, or being forced into a government-controlled superhuman army.
His reasoning was that they were no longer fighting for the people, as they were causing damage and hurting people to fight for themselves and the people were clearly against him (attacking him to stop him from hurting Stark).
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:I thought it was really good ending, actually. Totally believable for Cap to do, and one of the few times I've respected the character.

And it wasn't just "property damage" that stopped him, it was the fact that innocent people were getting injured and killed because of the superheroes fighting. People were dying as a direct result of Captain America and his resistances actions. We saw some of the fight at ground-level in Frontline #10, although most were evacuated quickly, when the fight moved to the streets there was still a whole lot of civilians around and a whole lot of collateral damage.

Other high points:

Spiderman kicking Reed in the neck.
Hercules putting the clone in his place. "THOU ART NO THOR!"
Namor and his posse showing up. Gotta love the ol' IMPERIUS REX! battlecry.
I actually liked it as well.

I'm curious as to some thigns though. Why was Namor on Cap's side? And why did Spider-Man choose to remain underground when all the superheroes were offered amnesty and someone close to him had already been killed because of his actions?
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Praxis wrote: His reasoning was that they were no longer fighting for the people, as they were causing damage and hurting people to fight for themselves and

That isn't right though, Spiderman makes a big internal monologue point about how they are fighting for the people although, to be honest, I have no problem with the Super heroes fighting for themselves any more than I have a problem with black people launching a civil rights campaign specifically for their rights because they were being the most victimised.

The "people" want to make them slaves to the government (and have succeeded looking at "The Initiative " solicits) so if they want to act like scum then Cap has an obligation to fight for the few remaining good guys.
the people were clearly against him (attacking him to stop him from hurting Stark).

They were against him from day one, they acted like a panicky mob willing to hand over civil rights (specifically those of the different folk) in order to get some illusory safety.
I think Cap was just shocked that
a) Americans would attack him, "the symbol of America"
b)that the American public really didn't care about truth, justice etc and were quite willing to discriminate against a minority
c)America isn't anywhere close to the idealised vision of it he had

That in my opinion broke his spirit and made him look for an easy excuse to quit so he acting upset about the damage any non moron would realise would result from the conflict.

No wonder the next Captain America arc is called "Death of the dream".
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

TheDarkling wrote:That in my opinion broke his spirit and made him look for an easy excuse to quit so he acting upset about the damage any non moron would realise would result from the conflict.

No wonder the next Captain America arc is called "Death of the dream".
Captain America, welcome to the Colbert Nation. :lol:
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

TheDarkling wrote:
Edward Yee wrote:... *decides to stick to Punisher MAX*
Have you read the first issue of the Barracuda mini?
I did, and in comparison to what Civil War was advertised as (and to what it actually provided as stated here), it was much more honest in giving me the shits-n-giggles. :twisted:
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Man, I can't believe you guys bought such shitty comic books and will continue to buy more in the foreseeable future :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Man, I can't believe you guys bought such shitty comic books and will continue to buy more in the foreseeable future :P
Maybe everybody should Byrne-steal from now on.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

After actually reading it today... I actually wasn't bothered, other than thinking that the sudden change in Cap's mindset was a tad bit abrupt for me, as presented in the comic; then again, I suppose I'm more used to longer, drawn-out internal drama scenes.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

I'd rather he had the thought provoking moment while he cleaning off Stark's brain matter from his shield after he beat the life out of that fucker.

How the fuck can they justify keeping the character that they have made Iron man into? They have removed all of his redeeming qualities and turned him into a government shill that used theWar to make billions. HE NEEDED TO DIE. Or atleast his cahracter needed to be brought back down to earth and I don't thrown in prison or something.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

KrauserKrauser wrote:I'd rather he had the thought provoking moment while he cleaning off Stark's brain matter from his shield after he beat the life out of that fucker.
Come on Hulk, please help us out here.
How the fuck can they justify keeping the character that they have made Iron man into? They have removed all of his redeeming qualities and turned him into a government shill that used theWar to make billions. HE NEEDED TO DIE. Or atleast his cahracter needed to be brought back down to earth and I don't thrown in prison or something.
It is even worse when you see him happy and smiling at the end, not to mention trying to grab some rack time with Ms Sharpe.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

You know what might redeem some of this? If it comes out somewhere down the line that those individuals that jumped Cap were paid off by Stark to do so before the fight as a contingency plan. Okay, so it is contrived as hell given the spontaneous outbreak of the battle, but there have to be some telepaths or shapechangers on Iron Man's side that could have made it happen.

The fact that they abandoned rescuing civvies and charged into the middle of that fight to tackle the one guy who could be swayed to stop the fight and had the ability to do so seems contrived as hell. Especially since it seemed to be a seven person perfectly coordinated tackle. To my cynical brain, that just screams telepathic coordination.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Guys, Punisher War Journal #4 was the best read of the week.

Everyone should get it.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
jimthegray
Youngling

hmm

Post by jimthegray »

TheDarkling wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:I haven't been reading the actual comics (although I did see the "dubbed" Civil War parodies which were the same except for the dialogue), but I've been keeping up with this on the internet.

Captain America, who has been through actual war and faced world and universe-destroying threats, suddenly decides that the property damage caused in this issue's battle was going too far? Just like that he gives up, even though he's sure in his heart that registration is wrong? My ass.
He says something about how they are just fighting for fighting sake (when the damage is pointed out to him) and they can't win the argument through fighting (I could have told him that 6 issues back).

Of course he started getting upset when police men and firemen attacked him to save Tony Stark(vomit inducing scene # 2).

He even starts crying.
Disgruntled comic fans are calling this ending completely anticlimatic, and are already expecting all the changes from Civil War to be reversed in a few months by this summer's "big crossover event," World War Hulk (yes, they already had another crossover event planned before Civil War was even finished). :roll:
I think you are confusing expect with hope, everybody is hoping that registration and Stark will get hammered by the Hulk but I'm not sure it will.

you don't get it he did not surrender because he was beaten, he did it because he relised that he was the bad guy, he was wrecking the american dream, being the supervillian.
he was fighting against democracy.
it does not matter if he disagreed with the law, but he chose to use violance to try and change it.
he became a terrorist in the eyes of the normal humans.
it does not matter if the law is good or bad, when you start attacking jails, fighting even killing cops trashing midtown etc in opposition to the law you become the bad guy. he looked around and saw that violance was not goign to fix things, that the normals consider him the bad guy and saw that he was exactly why the normals want supers to be registered
When we turn away from the darkness of
our past to take comfort in our peaceful lives, we
sometimes forget how dearly that peace was bought. But
there is much worth remembering in the darkness..."
jimthegray
Youngling

Post by jimthegray »

a) Americans would attack him, "the symbol of America"
b)that the American public really didn't care about truth, justice etc and were quite willing to discriminate against a minority
c)America isn't anywhere close to the idealised vision of it he had

a.) a symbol that was fighting against democracy
b.) what discrimiantion? they watn masked vigilanties from firing off military weapons in the streets with no legal oversight
c.) he was not acting like the ideailsed person he thought he was
When we turn away from the darkness of
our past to take comfort in our peaceful lives, we
sometimes forget how dearly that peace was bought. But
there is much worth remembering in the darkness..."