Whedon off wonder woman, good for buffyverse?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Hades
Jedi Knight

Whedon off wonder woman, good for buffyverse?

Post by Hades »

Is the fact that Joss is no loger writing the new wonder woman movie mean that there is a chance those buffyverse TV movies might resurface?

His lack of time due to the wonder woman project must have been a big factor in them falling a part in the first place.
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

What? He's off the project? When'd that happen?
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Like just now:

[quote=IMDB]Whedon Quits Wonder Woman Movie

Buffy The Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon has quit as writer and director of the forthcoming Wonder Woman movie over "creative differences." Whedon signed up to adapt the popular comic book and 1970s TV show for the big screen in May, but has severed ties with the project after failing to agree to a script with the film's producers. He writes on his website, "You (hopefully) heard it here first: I'm no longer slated to make Wonder Woman...I had a take on the film that, well, nobody liked. Let me stress first that everybody at the studio and Silver Pictures were cool and professional. We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work. It happens all the time. I don't think any of us expected it to this time, but it did." [/quote]

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2007-02-05/#celeb6
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

I first saw it reported yesterday. dont know how long it had been around for before that

Linky
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Fuck, looks like the BBCode bit us both in the ass...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

Hades wrote:I first saw it reported yesterday. dont know how long it had been around for before that

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=39992
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Oh, wow. Funny that. Guess I can see where he's coming from. Oh, well, I wasn't too terrbily excited by it.

Anyhow, if Whedon really starts pushing the idea to various companies he may get himself a Buffy movie made, though it'd most likely go to made-for-TV. How well Serenity did will probably be the determining factor, even if he can point to the larger popularity of BtVS. Now that he has more time to do it, it could happen. I wouldn't hold my breath over it, though.

Not that I really see a reason or a need for a Buffy movie. I think the series doesn't really need any more expanding, even if it could be expanded. It's had a good enough run already. No need to turn it into a Star Trek-esque parade of infinite sequels.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Erik von Nein wrote:Oh, wow. Funny that. Guess I can see where he's coming from. Oh, well, I wasn't too terrbily excited by it.

Anyhow, if Whedon really starts pushing the idea to various companies he may get himself a Buffy movie made, though it'd most likely go to made-for-TV. How well Serenity did will probably be the determining factor, even if he can point to the larger popularity of BtVS. Now that he has more time to do it, it could happen. I wouldn't hold my breath over it, though.

Not that I really see a reason or a need for a Buffy movie. I think the series doesn't really need any more expanding, even if it could be expanded. It's had a good enough run already. No need to turn it into a Star Trek-esque parade of infinite sequels.
Good luck convincing SMG to do a Buffy movie. And technically Buffy already had a big screen movie. What do you think the series was based on? :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

He's currently working on an original project, I can't remember what it was called, it was a one-word titled horror film with a female protagonist (a streatch, I know)--Oh, I remember now, "Goners"!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I am not surprised that Whedon had quit since reading last week that WB had bought some other script. Their "reason" for doing so was for litigious reasons.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Whedon is continuing the Buffy storyline in a comic book miniseries that he's writing. It is coming out in a few months from Dark Horse, IIRC.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

FUCK.

I was really, really looking forward to this movie...I mean, given Whedon's love of strong female characters, he seemed the best possible man to work on a Wonder Woman project.

Maybe he'll do a movie adaptation of Fray? Or at least continue the comic?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I give a WW movie set in the 1940's a much higher chance of 'suck', since it'll have to have a lot of "Oh, she's a woman... AND she fights crime!"

Bring back Joss!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Oddysseus
Padawan Learner
Location: Operating secretly in the heartland of the Homeland.

Post by Oddysseus »

I have to admit that I am happy he is off the movie. He isn't magic to me. I enjoyed Buffy on and off, but it dipped. Angel was good, but varied. Firefly...eh. Serenity...eh.

So no pop culture references, goofy slang, daddy issues. So no Buffy with bracelets, good. And no more talk of Carpenter, Acker, or Bacara as WW. Yeah!

From what I have seen around, the studio bought a pretty interesting script. They probably found it a better fit then whatever Whedon had offered up so for.

Whedon is no God, and the show will go on. I just hope they find a good replacement quick, before this falls in the cracks with the Flash and Green Lantern movies.
- Odd Jack, Jaded Skeptic
--- jadedskeptic.blogspot.com
- "The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry."
"The universe is a strange and wondrous place. The truth is quite odd enough to need no help from pseudoscientific charlatans." - Richard Dawkins
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

I dunno if he quit Wonder Woman to work on this, but I do know that Joss is continuing the story of Buffy with an official comic book. It's being called "Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 8" on Wikipedia. Hopefully it won't suck. Personally, I could do without more Buffy. I'm pissed that Angel was cancelled. Season 5 was the best season (in no small part thanks to the interaction between Spike and Angel) of all of Angel, and then they cancelled it, and Joss left us with that ending that didn't end anything! The bastard...

There have been plans for a Spike movie, too, that would have Illyria as one of the main characters, but to the best of my knowledge, that idea is going nowhere, very fast. Sad.
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

i wouldnt neceserily want a buffy movie but more live action (tv series or one off movies) set in the Buffy universe would be good.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Whedon was forced to quit beating his dead horse a long time ago. That's not a licence for dabbling in necromancy, however. From season 6 and on, Buffy was a mess, both as a series and as a character. Let it lie... please.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

Eleas wrote:Whedon was forced to quit beating his dead horse a long time ago. That's not a licence for dabbling in necromancy, however. From season 6 and on, Buffy was a mess, both as a series and as a character. Let it lie... please.
except he hasnt been forced to quit it. He's continuing the story in a new comic series for dark horse.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Hades wrote:except he hasnt been forced to quit it. He's continuing the story in a new comic series for dark horse.
Indeed, but something made him pause. Whether it was Firefly or something else, he appears to have briefly toyed with the notion of letting Buffy die a graceful death.

Sadly, there's still money to be made from the concept, apparently.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Fuck Buffy. I am so sick of that spoiled emo brat.

Since Firefly can't get renewed as a TV series, and because Serenity sucked and bombed at the box office, why exactly can't we have a Firefly comic series?

(then again, the Serenity comic series was... less than perfect)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I'd lean more towards "Utterly pointless" with a dash of "Nothing of value being added to either the mythos or to the character's development".
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Stofsk wrote:... Serenity sucked ...
What movie did you see?
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Stofsk wrote:Fuck Buffy. I am so sick of that spoiled emo brat.

Since Firefly can't get renewed as a TV series, and because Serenity sucked and bombed at the box office, why exactly can't we have a Firefly comic series?

We're getting a new miniseries later this year, set during the show. I read in Wizard that the premise is "a job goes right for a change" and the series is about how they react to such uncommon success.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Steve wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Fuck Buffy. I am so sick of that spoiled emo brat.

We're getting a new miniseries later this year, set during the show. I read in Wizard that the premise is "a job goes right for a change" and the series is about how they react to such uncommon success.

Wait.. what?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy