Civil War #7 - Spoilers

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

I honestly was hoping for some big bad reason behind this all. I'm used to big bad reasons, even corny or sappy ones.

There wasn't one for CW, there was just a big pile of shit with no explanation or actual resolution of issues. You bring up politically charged storylines and then just drop them for no appearant reason.

If there was som big bad reason why not fucking drop a clue bomb on us at the end of the last issue.

I wouldn't mind 18's reasoning for CW, it makes comic book sense. I was fully expecting something to be behind it, because these characters are acting waaaaaaaaaay out of character and the damage that is being done to their characters needs some outside explanation.

No other recourse for me to get my point across asid from stopping my marvel purchases until they realize how fucked up they were to have ended CW in that manner.

I honestly would love to know what older industry legends like Stan Lee would think about this, when considering the storyline objectively.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I haven't read the CW series, in fact I mainly stick to DC but the CW sounds loosely like DC's Kingdom Come, except I liked KC's storyline and art a lot more than this.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I think 18's idea is really good. It just doesn't have enough Black Panther.

They could have had Thor somehow interject and stop Stark's spirit from discombobulating or whatever they do in Marvel when someone dies.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

except 18's idea goes against what we've already seen of Zemo in the Thunderbirds comic. Zemo is building his army of supervillans into loyal Thunderbolts to combat a threat that will be going against the world sometime in the near future.

And when unmasked...he looks nothing like Stark...
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Enigma wrote:I haven't read the CW series, in fact I mainly stick to DC but the CW sounds loosely like DC's Kingdom Come, except I liked KC's storyline and art a lot more than this.
I noticed the same, just that Civil War sucks horribly and is meant as political allegory, not a story all of it's own with Biblical overtones.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

CW started out well but it seemed to me almost like Marvel didn't know what they were doing. Initially they were making pains to show the reasons behind registered superheroing, trying to show both sides so that Peter's initial support of the act was believable, and then all of a sudden they were sticking People With Powers in the Negative Zone and having supervillains do their dirty work.

I thought that was the angle they were taking - the comparisons with current US politics being hard to miss - but apparently they did another 180 at the last fucking second?

Note to Marvel: Plan your fucking story arcs. House of M might have been utterly pointless but at least it was structured.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

DarkSilver wrote:except 18's idea goes against what we've already seen of Zemo in the Thunderbirds comic. Zemo is building his army of supervillans into loyal Thunderbolts to combat a threat that will be going against the world sometime in the near future.

Well not really. This is just plan B. Plan A involved the gravity stones and such, but failed, plan B involves...this stuff. :P

Indeed, this plan would make more sense and is more likely to actually work, using comic book logic.

And when unmasked...he looks nothing like Stark...
And that's why i said "With the help of plastic surgery" he assumes Stark's identity.
Kanye West Saves.

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

They did plan this, they purposefully made the pro reg look bad to get most people anti so at the end they could turn around with a shock surprise ending where the pro reg were right all along.

This was supposed to be humbling twist and surprise but instead it was just a heavy handed slap in the face for what was supposed to be a balanced situation.
Oddysseus
Padawan Learner
Location: Operating secretly in the heartland of the Homeland.

Post by Oddysseus »

I just realized what Reed and Stark's balther at the end reminded me of.

The old Stalinist progroganda news reels. All is well. The 5 Year Plan is a glorious success. We head into a bright future. Comrade Stalin is truly wise, and will show us the way.

Works so divorced from reality.

No wonder this feels so creey to read.
- Odd Jack, Jaded Skeptic
--- jadedskeptic.blogspot.com
- "The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry."
"The universe is a strange and wondrous place. The truth is quite odd enough to need no help from pseudoscientific charlatans." - Richard Dawkins
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

CW started out well but it seemed to me almost like Marvel didn't know what they were doing. Initially they were making pains to show the reasons behind registered superheroing, trying to show both sides so that Peter's initial support of the act was believable, and then all of a sudden they were sticking People With Powers in the Negative Zone and having supervillains do their dirty work.
This sudden change is actually when I started to dislike CW -- false advertising. I'd also say that CW's pacing seemed abrupt overall, despite "more pages in CW7, it's so big!"
Oddysseus wrote:I just realized what Reed and Stark's balther at the end reminded me of.

The old Stalinist progroganda news reels. All is well. The 5 Year Plan is a glorious success. We head into a bright future. Comrade Stalin is truly wise, and will show us the way.

Works so divorced from reality.

No wonder this feels so creey to read.
Admittedly, without me thinking of Stalin, this is right-there why I got the theory I did about CW7's ending -- both Reed's narrated text and the panels' imagery.

(Incidentally, a Marvel preview for the Initiative said that all those who were pro-reg, I paraphrase... "You're all in the army now. Every last one of you." Emphasis mine.)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I was lurking some comic forums, and I came across this revelation from Civil War: Front Line #11, which went on sale today:
They [Sally and Ben Urich] then visit Tony Stark. The traitor was Tony all along. He made Osbourne attack the Atlanteons in a gamble to use the prospect of a war with Atlantis to increase funds for his plan and to persuade unregistered heroes to register to potentially fight a common foe in the Atlanteans.
What. The. Fuck.

This goes beyond the implied war profiteering, the Negative Zone Gitmo, and siccing Clor on the anti-Reg heroes. Tony Stark actually planned the MURDER of foreign people in the hopes of starting a fucking WAR for his own purposes. How the HELL is Iron Man supposed to be a viable heroic character anymore?

Has anyone read this crap, and is able to fill the rest of us in on the details?
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

At this point, I'm almost praying that Hulk kills the bastard come summer. Until then, I've received more fodder for the cannon aimed at one of my friends who happens to love Iron Prick... :twisted:
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

I said a few issues of CW ago that Iron Man needs to die. This is just more fuel for the fire.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

To all those disgusted by the revelations of CWF#11, feel free to use this little gift as we get closer and closer to World War Hulk (as I refuse to participate in another of Marvel's sig band wagons for the moment):

8)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

If Iron Man has turned into that much of a prick I just keep feeling that sooner or later it'll be revealed that it's not him, or he's being controlled or some other bullshit.

They already had Kang controlling Iron Man in the 1990s so just hope that in this case it turns out that it was just Stark and his own totally human issues. Then I hope the Hulk, or Thor, or someone just pounds Iron Man flatter than a empty tube of toothpaste.

Let some writer a few years down the road come in an retcon things so it wasn't Tony Stark who was doing all this crap but right now I hope it is and that he ends up regretting the crap that's come out in CW.

I am soooo glad that I've only purchased one book that is even nominally associated with this CW crap. They've taken a perfectly good grey issue and fucked it all to hell. If this is a poorly done set up for something to be revealled later then the reveal better be fucking good.

--
I suppose I should be thankfull to DC and Marvel for coming out with such shit ass mega cross overs because over the last couple of years I had wandered back into reading a bunch of their regular books. Now, thankfully, I can save my time and money and spend both more wisely. Hope they have good luck finding those new readers they were hoping to find.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Thanks for the image, I'll gladly jump on as one of the first on the World War Hulk Bandwagon.

I want Hulk to use Reed's lifeless body to kill Iron Man. I think that would make me want to buy Marvel comics again.

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I'm kind of a noob for this whole series, and I'm confused. Can someone fill me in?
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Man, Iron Douche showed up in the Runaways hideout. :(
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Superman wrote:I'm kind of a noob for this whole series, and I'm confused. Can someone fill me in?
Civil War or World War Hulk.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I meant the above as question; may bad... :oops:
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Jim Raynor wrote: Has anyone read this crap, and is able to fill the rest of us in on the details?
The two "reporters" (you will understand the reason for the "" shortly) go to see Cap in prison, Sally mouths off at him for being out of touch with America, it isn't about mom and apple pie any more but about American Idol and Myspace.
She also says that if anybody is gong to topple buildings they better be democratically held to account.

Ten days later they go to see Herr Stark and reveal that he forced Osborne to attack the Atlantean diplomats in order to prevoke a war and get the heroes to unite against a common enemy, Sally applauds him for doing what needed to be done (i.e toppling buildings without democratic oversight).
They agree not to publish the story because it would jeopardise what Stark it doing, Stark tells them to get the hell out of his office and then throws his helmet across the room and falls to his knees crying.

Stay tuned for WWH:Frontline comic to a CBS near you soon.
MadSorcerer
Redshirt

Post by MadSorcerer »

Why are is Marvel making Iron Man evil? What did he ever do them?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

MadSorcerer wrote:Why are is Marvel making Iron Man evil? What did he ever do them?
Because Armor Wars wasn't big enough.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

MadSorcerer wrote:Why are is Marvel making Iron Man evil? What did he ever do them?
The scary thing is that they don't actually think they are.

Mark Millar:I love Tony. Tony's mental, but charming and smart and utterly idealistic. He only wants the best. He's the Marvel hero I'd be most likely to hang out with were I ever sucked through a wormhole into the Marvel Universe.

Whereas Joe Q hailed the SHRA as the government doing what it should be doing and listening to the people for a change.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

On the face of it, the SHRA does sound reasonable. Although as we see with Parker, 'coming out' has had disastrous results (assuming for the moment that Aunt May is dead for good).

What really gets me with Civil War is that it was obvious that the SHRA and SHIELD and that Hill woman were obvious jackboot knockoffs - so they end up winning.