Question on Dante's Inferno.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Question on Dante's Inferno.

Post by Yogi »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but . . .

Is Dante's Inferno an early example of self-insertion fanfiction?
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Re: Question on Dante's Inferno.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Yogi wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but . . .

Is Dante's Inferno an early example of self-insertion fanfiction?
If you wish, yes. Though Virgil's was more ancient by far. ;)
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Grey Eminence
Redshirt

Post by Grey Eminence »

With most 'self-insertion' fanfic you generally have the author inserting himself from the present time. More importantly the insert almost certainly has a prominent role and the ability to rework the reality of what he is inserted into. In the case of the Divine Comedy Dante was after a fashion inserting a younger version of himself but it was not really the same.

This is the case because while the protagonist does have a role to play, the larger point of the work is what the protagonist is taught during the three works that comprise the Divine Comedy. Yes, Dante writes it with his own history and background in mind - he is in exile while writing it and makes that a significant theme of the Comedy - but the Comedy is more of a grand tour of enlightenment that willful expression for the 'insert'.