Civil War #7 - Spoilers

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:you know what this series would have worked perfectly, is if you had a pull out, shot of Mephisto laughing, and going on about how he loves it when his plans work perfectly. :twisted:
Well, according to last Christmas' Wizard, Mephisto is one of several Marvel villains who will be getting the spotlight this year. So, it's possible that either a retcon or revelation regarding Stamford will be forthcoming.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Lord Zentei wrote:And he has a butler.
So does Batman. :wink:
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

JME2 wrote:
Yeah, well he is in the DC universe. So that has no bearing on Civil War.

So pffft. :P
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Lord Zentei wrote:
JME2 wrote:
Yeah, well he is in the DC universe. So that has no bearing on Civil War.

Bah, a minor technicality. 8)
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Sunstreaker wrote:
Edward Yee wrote:Incidentally, Sunstreaker, if I may quote/respond to the comment (by you) that you yourself quoted in that link...
The America he wanted to protect didn’t exist anymore.
Which I found interestingly to be the point of Sally's response to Cap's jailhouse talk -- and unlike the last one, which to be fair was a bit of an ambush of the still-on-the-run Cap, this one made more sense (albeit by being more targeted).
Hey dude, respond as much as you like. :)
Thanks. :) In Sally's first Frontline interview, it did very much seem like she ambushed him, whereas this time she and Ben Urich let him go at length and in more detail, before questioning how much actual interaction he'd had with the America that existed instead of the city-on-a-hill in his mind. Never logged onto MySpace, never went to NASCAR...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Sunstreaker
Padawan Learner

Post by Sunstreaker »

Edward Yee wrote:Thanks. :) In Sally's first Frontline interview, it did very much seem like she ambushed him, whereas this time she and Ben Urich let him go at length and in more detail, before questioning how much actual interaction he'd had with the America that existed instead of the city-on-a-hill in his mind. Never logged onto MySpace, never went to NASCAR...
Which is funny because what does enjoying nascar have to do with protecting a person's freedom to enjoy nascar?
Autobot-Cybertron's Finest

"I've been through alcohol, marriage, and network television. If you want to kill me, you're gonna need kryptonite." - Sam Donovan, Sports Night
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

JME2 wrote:
Iron Man would pwn Batman.

And more importantly, Batman's villains keep escaping to bug him again and again. Iron Man takes his villains and injects them with nanoprobes and forces them to do his bidding, or he can give them seizures whenever he feels like it, and then he locks them up in a super-prison in another dimension when he's not using them.

Iron Man > Batman.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Yeah Batman sure does suck what with all the humans rights and such.

I much rather a guy who has sociopath working for him beating up heroes.

Anyway Batman would have some sort of anti-irontech spray on his belt and would thus win. :)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

No, all ironman needs to be properly humbled is for Count Nefaria to fire one of his Tessla Deathray Ion Beams at him, the kind that in old Avengers stories overloaded and blew out every circuit in his armour, with sufficiant EMP left over to render the Extrimis nanites into heavy metal poisoning.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

TheDarkling wrote:Yeah Batman sure does suck what with all the humans rights and such.

I much rather a guy who has sociopath working for him beating up heroes.

Anyway Batman would have some sort of anti-irontech spray on his belt and would thus win. :)
Pfft. Lord Zentai is right. 'Good is dumb', as Dark Helmet would say.

And I didn't say Iron Man was a better hero, just that he would beat Batman. :)
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Sunstreaker wrote:
Edward Yee wrote:Thanks. :) In Sally's first Frontline interview, it did very much seem like she ambushed him, whereas this time she and Ben Urich let him go at length and in more detail, before questioning how much actual interaction he'd had with the America that existed instead of the city-on-a-hill in his mind. Never logged onto MySpace, never went to NASCAR...
Which is funny because what does enjoying nascar have to do with protecting a person's freedom to enjoy nascar?
On that note...
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Ghetto Edit - Been reading the comments (click on "read the whole thing"), they're great. Like this for example:
fire_tears wrote:I really don't see how 'being out of touch with the people' has anything to do with Captain America. He represents America's ideals. That's what he fights for: freedom. Freedom of speech, of religion, freedom from fear, the freedom to live your own life. Truth and goodness and safety and all that crap. Democracy, independence, justice.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

If no one cares about any of those... then Captain America needs to be fighting for them twice as hard, because that is one fucked-up world we're living in.

Shut the fuck up, Sally. People like you "broke" America. Captain America is trying his damnedest to fix it, and I don't know why the fuck he thinks he ought to apologize for that.
puregibberish wrote:I have a dream that when they next have a big, inter-company crossover, Lois Lane will take the time to track Sally down and beat her into a whimpering pulp for having the audacity to call herself a journalist.
slarti wrote:"Why couldn't you have realized that a few weeks ago?"

"Well, how about because I had to go underground and on the run before the law was even passed, because I dared breathe a word against it while it was still in deliberation? It's hard to get a good look at all the sides of an argument when just showing your face will get you illegally tranqed up and detained."

Jesus Christ, Marvel. You show Cap being this great shining orator, and then make him a total chump who has to fall back on first calling himself a "simple man at heart" and then calling her arguments "simplistic." WTF.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

The lesson we're to take way from this i gather is that it's not about doing right it's about being right. An old Law and Order episode is basically where they took the whole story...i mean i didnt notice it till now but i see they lifted the basic idea and ending entirely, changing only the aspect of the 'crime'.

But the problem is, Law and Order was bullshit.

Being right means crap unless you do the right thing too. Yeah i guess someone like McCoy, or his proxy here Stark, can 'do the right thing' but at the same time commit crimes and such. But just because they did the 'right thing' (something that in both cases is questionable) does not mean that someone who IS right, morally and ethically, is somehow negated by this fact.

In short, they should rip off stories from CSI next time, since that show is better written.
Kanye West Saves.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

JME2 wrote:Well, according to last Christmas' Wizard, Mephisto is one of several Marvel villains who will be getting the spotlight this year. So, it's possible that either a retcon or revelation regarding Stamford will be forthcoming.
I think Mephisto is likely lined up for Marvel's Anihilation-like event for the Magic-user set entitled "Mystic Arcana".

The only reason I know about it and care is that it involves one of the Runaways, Nico Minoru.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Majin Gojira wrote:
JME2 wrote:Well, according to last Christmas' Wizard, Mephisto is one of several Marvel villains who will be getting the spotlight this year. So, it's possible that either a retcon or revelation regarding Stamford will be forthcoming.
I think Mephisto is likely lined up for Marvel's Anihilation-like event for the Magic-user set entitled "Mystic Arcana".

The only reason I know about it and care is that it involves one of the Runaways, Nico Minoru.
You're probably right.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

JME2 wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote:Yeah, well he is in the DC universe. So that has no bearing on Civil War.

Bah, a minor technicality. 8)
Iron man has another thing that Batman doesn't: a goatee! 8)

I mean, he's become the Francis Urquhart/J.R. Ewing of the Marvel Universe, is filthy rich, has a butler and a goatee.

Batman just can't compare.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

You know what really kills me, if i may rant, is that Civil War was not a bad series. I loved it, up till the very end, i mean the art where they dropped the ball.

I got all seven issues, i saw the whole thing through, i ever bought some of the tie-ins. Up until the point at the very end when Cap bitched up and the good guys lost i really enjoyed the whole thing, if that were someone just removed i would enjoy it even more. I'd prefer a deus ex machina ending of some kind, even.

And this also hasnt been a very bad year for comics, not in some ways at least. 52 has been getting better and better as it goes on (just like i thought Civil War was, which scares me somewhat i must admit).

What happened in the last couple of pages of CW 7 was fucking sad. It's like someone runs a marathon, runs it perfectly, eons ahead of everyone else, you know he's a winner, and then inches from the finish line...he trips and breaks his legs and can never run again. It's that pitiful.

Just a thought that struck me, i guess it was welling up inside me after i read though Frontlines and how that chick Sally just ruined the whole thing for me. It's one thing to say she dislikes what Cap stands for. I can understand that and, frankly, if that were all i wouldnt really care. But then the way she reacts to the evidence, IN HER HANDS, that Iron Man is a murderer and, basically, a supervillian and has the nerve to say that what he did and the miniscule 'guilt' he feels is the "real sacrifice of a hero"...i mean honestly. Yeah that's a real hero there. And then she doesnt tell anyone about thsi FUCKING WAR CRIME she has discovered...WTF cant even begin to cover it.

Why doesnt she just say "Iron Man has a sweet, sweet cock which i feel i must suck" and be honest. At least Hill the Shill was willing to do that. :lol:
Kanye West Saves.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

too bad Wildstorm Black or the motherfuckin authoriity aren't around to teach tony how to be a benevalent dicattor,,,

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

The Authority would probably aprove of his actions and Apollo would offer to help him by grabbing Atlantis and hurling it into space or something. :P

Also, i just noticed how shity my spelling was in there. I was writing it as i thought it up, stream of consciousness like, so it may be hard to understand some of it.
Kanye West Saves.

Sunstreaker
Padawan Learner

Post by Sunstreaker »

Spoiler!!! Captain America (preview)

or

Spoiler!!! Sorce and article

SPOILER WARNING FOR CAPTAIN AMERICA #25
Newsarama.com wrote:According to the New York Daily News, Captain America dies in issue #25, after being shot on the steps of the courthouse where he was to be arraigned.

"It's a hell of a time for him to go. We really need him now," co-creator Joe Simon, 93, told the News after being informed of his brainchild's death.

The News outlined Cap’s history up to the point of Civil War, quoting current Cap writer Ed Brubaker as saying:

"What I found is that all the really hard-core left-wing fans want Cap to be standing out on and giving speeches on the streetcorner against the Bush administration, and all the really right-wing [fans] all want him to be over in the streets of Baghdad, punching out Saddam," Brubaker said.

From the News:

Comic book deaths, however, are rarely final. Marvel's archrival, DC Comics, provoked a media frenzy when it killed off Superman in 1993, only to reanimate its prize creation a year later.

Joe Quesada, 43, Marvel Entertainment's editor in chief, said he wouldn't rule out the shield-throwing champion's eventual return. But for now, the Captain's fans are in mourning.

Newsarama will endeavor to keep a rolling update of the media's coverage of the story running throughout the day.

The AP Version, Based on the News story

According to various reports, the death was a topic of conversation on Fox News' Fox and Friends this morning. Predictably, the commentators on the show questioned whether or not now is the time for Captain America to be killed, given his historical role in fighting America's enemies, and the country is currently at war. Reportedly, the show has posted a question about the timing of Cap's death as their "Question of the Day" on their website, although it could not be easily found on their site at 8:00 am.

Forbes enters with a revised AP story, noting some of the financials.

Developing...
Autobot-Cybertron's Finest

"I've been through alcohol, marriage, and network television. If you want to kill me, you're gonna need kryptonite." - Sam Donovan, Sports Night
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...*snort* Yeah, and this is the same company that has all but brought back Ben Parker.

Sure, what the hell why not. Marvel has shown it apes DC, and one ups them in sheer absurdity. I'm waiting for Stark to reveal himself as Immortus, because we already did the Kang angle...or maybe they'll pull a Red Skull clone act!!!!!
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Whatever, fuck Marvel, I'll just read Girls and Y and forget that they exist.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Right. The whole lot of you will empty your pockets when the next issues roll out, and that's a fact :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Right. The whole lot of you will empty your pockets when the next issues roll out, and that's a fact :P
Newp. I already called my comic store and canceled everything.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Oh come on guys. It's not like the world is collapsing because of Cap being "killed".

I guarantee he's not REALLY being killed. It's probably a screwjob by the rebels to get him out of lockup by faking his death, like what Vanessa Williams and Ar-Nuld did at the end of Eraser (that analogy assumes you've seen the movie of course).

Or if not, you always have DC.
Kanye West Saves.