A Simple CG render

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

A Simple CG render

Post by Redleader34 »

Well, what do you SDNers think.
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Zero fucking detail, how can I give any sort of opinion?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Now it's my turn. :twisted:

PHALLIC!
Image Image
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

A bit too phallic for my taste.
Other than that i´d either make the whole mesh out one organic piece or make more than two parts - meaning that more than just the big hull part should be connected to the rest - with a hard edge.

Righ now it looks like you simply took a box extruded some other boxes from it and applied mesh smooth (or what ever the equivalent of your modeling package is called).
Furthermore you should check out the "smoothing group" section of your user manual. :wink:
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Ace Pace wrote:Zero fucking detail, how can I give any sort of opinion?
what he said. come back when you have added some detail to it
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:PHALLIC!
The first thought that popped into my head was less eloquent:

"Is that a cock?"
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

It's a CDC*, isn't it?

*Crudely Drawn Cock
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

tim31 wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:PHALLIC!
The first thought that popped into my head was less eloquent:

"Is that a cock?"
It's the flagship of Richard DeCock, great grandson of that guy from that other article with the funny name. That or it's Long John the Pirate's vessel. Those pirates are always looking for booty, you know. It takes a stalwart crew of seamen to ply their... ah hell, nevermind.

Yeah dude, it's really not well defined yet. I assume it's a spaceship. It could very well just be a brand new kind of dildo though, which is usually a bad motif for a starship unless you're going for the Iain M. Banks style of starship. Which was actually described by one character as a flying dildo, but which was then chidingly remarked by another character as being able to 'fuck solar systems' or something to that effect.

The first thing you need to do when trying to make a starship is avoid the aforementioned CDC problem. It's very easy to draw a ship with a large front, skinny middle, and pair of bulging, bulbous engines. It's easy because it's not even technically a bad design. That's kinda how rockets look. And rifle bullets. Unfortunately though, everyone (except an alien) is going to make fun of it. Which makes everyone onboard very sad, since now they're Captain Jean luc Picard of the Starship Battledick. Nobody wants to be that guy.

You can go the Honor Harrington route and avoid it by making it look like soemthing else, or just by making it a double-dildo, which is--I suppose--non-phallic. It just makes them all seem vaguely lesbian.

Some people say it looks more like a barbell, but I prefer to say it's an homage to the satellite of love. I bet Weber just loves Gamera movies. Image

Ho ho! I kid. I've never even read Weber, I just know that his starships look kinda funky. If you're trying to go for an effective design, search back and find my "Needle versus Brick" post on here or on Atomic Rockets where we all beat each other up discussing a variety of considerations to take into account. If you want to go a middle route and make a wedge ship or dagger ship like a Star Destroyer, then you'd really be better off tapering the point. You need to give us some more info... or, perhaps, that's the point. Maybe this is something else?

Seriously though, maybe this is a joke? A rorschach test to see what comes to mind first when you see a ship. Maybe he is yanking out chain. It's close to being the HMS Lovemuscle but it's not quite as blatant as this:

But I still say it's safe to say that you want to avoid the incredibly easy pitfall of making a giant flying wang bristling with weapons. At best, you may merely be recreating the gayest Submarine ever, at worst, you're making it a joke. If you do that, at least have the dignity of having it be crewed appropriately, like the Syreen Penetrator above was.

Everyone loves the Syreen captain: