NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

That game was a bloody disgrace. The Flames should have lost at least 6-2.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I am not an NHL hockey fan until players like Jordin Tootoo are out of the league.

What a joke.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I didn't see what happened with Tootoo, elaborate?

Also, Kudos to the Ducks for sticking up for each other Friday night against Chicago. Fucking asshawks were taking runs at McDonald all night, and good ol' Chris Kunitz dropped the gloves and wailed on Tuomo Ruutu. Parros, O'Donnell, and Getzlaf also got in fights for the Ducks as we went on to smoke Chicago 5-2, with one of Chiacgo's being a garbage goal in the last two minutes on a bullshit 2 man advantage.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I didn't see what happened with Tootoo, elaborate?

Short version, he delivered a hit on Mike Modano, and then in one motion, turned around and decked the guy coming in on him to break it up/retaliate/whatever. Not the brightest move I've ever seen, he got a double minor at the time, and probably more coming.

Edit: It was Stephane Robidas who was knocked cold, and carried off the ice.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Here's the clip on YouTube.

Tootoo shouldn't have done it, but I can't really fault him. It was a clean hit on Modano, and then Robidas came over to retaliate. What's he supposed to do? Just let Robidas hit him?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Master of Ossus wrote:Here's the clip on YouTube.

Tootoo shouldn't have done it, but I can't really fault him. It was a clean hit on Modano, and then Robidas came over to retaliate. What's he supposed to do? Just let Robidas hit him?
In situations like that Tootoo is supposed to grapple and drop em with Robidas. Not sucker punch him with his gloves still on.
In Omnia Paratus.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

It wasnt a sucker punch. But he shouldnt have thrown it like that, glove still on and right at his face.

Ideally, the other fella shouldnt be roaring in full of piss and vinegar to "avenge" at hit on Modano that wasnt even dirty. But, such is the mindset in the NHL :roll:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Archon wrote:In situations like that Tootoo is supposed to grapple and drop em with Robidas. Not sucker punch him with his gloves still on.
Hilariously, Stars fans have already sabotaged the wiki page on sucker punches to literally show a series of shots of the confrontation between Robidas and Tootoo, but they didn't change the text of the article.
wiki wrote:A sucker punch is an act of violence where the one being punched is either caught completely off guard by a landed fist, or a punch which is thrown to disable another in a place which is not normally a target in a "fair fight," such as on the back of the head (this type of sucker punch is also known as a rabbit punch). Although it is commonly known to be embarrassing and painful to be upon the receiving end of the punch, the act often belies the character of the one throwing the punch, which is often attributed as a cowardly act.
How can this be a sucker punch? Robidas was skating over to start a fight with Tootoo. If you're going to start a fight, how can you be considered "completely off guard?" As for Tootoo's not taking his gloves off, I agree that that he should've gotten them off, first, but Robidas still had his gloves on, too, so it's not like there was a ton of time for Tootoo to ditch his equipment and then defend himself. He hit Modano, turned to try and find anyone coming to retaliate, and then Robidas was on him so he just threw one as quickly as he could. Robidas was clearly coming over to deliver a blow to either Tootoo's head or chest with his gloves still on, and so the grapple was already gone as an option at that point.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I'm not going to say any more until I can get a half decent look at the video. Although I do retract the sucker punch bit.
In Omnia Paratus.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Interesting thing about the incident too; after he clocked Robidas, you clearly see Modano hack him across the back with his stick. He then turns around and probably calls Mikey a few names and suggests they do something about that. Nothing comes of it since the officials and other teammates show up in the general scrum. The more I watch tape of this, the more I'm thinking its another 2-ruleset bullshit scenario -- one for average or subpar players, another for the golden boys. Tootoo shouldnt have done that. But Modano shouldnt have resorted to the hack with the stick either. And Robidas shouldnt have came charging in for vengance where none needed. THIS is the sort of knucklehead mentality that took Steve Moore out of hockey for probably life. And it's still here in the NHL.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I enjoy physcial play (cheap shots deserve retaliation, but this wasn't one of them) and I respect the mentality to protect your star players, but if the hit was clean then you have to be careful. But I think Robidas was stupid for rushing in the way he did to let himself get clocked like that, he had Tootoo in his sights and was so set on the kill he never saw the punch coming, that doesn't make it a sucker punch though.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Fanboy wrote:I enjoy physcial play (cheap shots deserve retaliation, but this wasn't one of them) and I respect the mentality to protect your star players, but if the hit was clean then you have to be careful. But I think Robidas was stupid for rushing in the way he did to let himself get clocked like that, he had Tootoo in his sights and was so set on the kill he never saw the punch coming, that doesn't make it a sucker punch though.
After watching it, again, it was worse than my first reaction indicated. Tootoo clearly used excessive force in delivering the blow. I still wouldn't call it a sucker punch, since Robidas was trying to go in and fight him, and I still don't think Robidas should have gone after him since the initial hit on Modano was clean, but I can see a brief suspension as a result of it.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Five Games for the knockout punch by Tootoo

On to the next contestant in the ongoing NHL atrocity contest :?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Burak Gazan wrote:Five Games for the knockout punch by Tootoo

On to the next contestant in the ongoing NHL atrocity contest :?
The boards over there seem pretty split. I would say ~2/3-3/4 disagree with the suspension and think that Tootoo shouldn't have been penalized, and the rest are evenly split between "about right" and "not harsh enough."

Surprisingly, a lot of people also think Modano's slash should've resulted in a suspension. I would say about half of them.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

It's not that surprising I think Ossus. A lot of the stickwork seems to get ignored, especially if "star" players are the ones doing it (Wayne Gretzky worst example, when he sticked Dougie Gilmour and didnt get a minute, subsequently scoring winning goal against Leafs to advance to cup final; no, Wayne, I've not forgotten....) Five games seems a bit stiff, since Robidas got zippo despite a charging call (darkly humourous when he's unconcious on the ice :wink: ) I suspect part of the reasoning behind the suspension is an attempt to deter further incidents of this nature. We'll see -- I think its just rinse repeat from the NHL officiating mob.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

After going over the video again I have come to the same conclusion as Fanboy and MoO. The slash was basically harmless from what I saw.

Now, back to regularly scheduled programming...

The Flames have to beat Detroit tonight if they want to make the playoffs.

EDIT TO ADD:

And an article for Fanboy from the LA TIMES, here.

You may have already read it.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I hadn't seen that one yet Archon, my thanks. We definitely sold out the two games after that one against Columbus against Chicago and LA, and I would expect that the remaining games against Dallas and San Jose will be nothing short of sold out.

It's been much more fun to go to the games when the crowds started getting bigger. This just proves two things i've been saying for a long time. Southern Californians love a winner, and that the attendance in Anaheim would pick up once 2007 began. Games against Pittsburgh and Detroit earlier in the year struggled to draw, but we've had no problems since.

And as far as my previous comments about Physical play, the Ducks have a whopping 65 Fighting major as of March 19th and lead the NHL. Phoenix is second with a mere 42. By contrast, Detroit, Minnesota, Montreal, and the Islanders combine for only 52! Part of that was Shane O'Brien, but as his career progresses and he develops into (in my opinion) a top notch NHL Defenseman, he won't be getting in as many skirmishes.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

The Leafs win 2-1 over Jersey to stay on pace with the logjam for the last playoff spots in the East. Sundin gets points # 899 and 900 as a Leaf <S>

:D

Oh, for anyone keeping score of the misery, the Oilers continue to burn up in the atmosphere, losing streak is up to 11 since trading Smyth :lol:
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Burak Gazan wrote:Oh, for anyone keeping score of the misery, the Oilers continue to burn up in the atmosphere, losing streak is up to 11 since trading Smyth :lol:
And Staios is gone for the rest of the season, having had season-ending surgery.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Nice win by the Flames, almost a really good comeback by the Yotes tonight on VS. All three of Wild goals were scored in the final minute of the first and second periods, which feel like a kick in the unshielded testicles from ain ice skate made to fit Shaquille O'Neal. Afew costly penalties had them back in it scoring 2 PP Goals in the span of about 4 minutes. Never heard much about Backstrom before but he looks like a guy who could be dangerous in a playoff series.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

FLAMES FINALLY BEAT THE PREDATORS!

*dances*

Sorry for not doing it in regulation DGG!
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Apologize to me too ya jerk! :p

Of course, it's not like I should be miffed at you, when we lose for the second time this year at Phoenix. We won 3 out of 4 at Dallas, and 3 out of 4 at San Jose, and 3 out of 4 at LA, but only two at PHX of all fucking places. *spits*

For the second time this year, Todd Fedoruk is knocked out in a fight. Oy vey. I 'll still cheer for him, because he provided some of the best entertainment for me last season.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Fedoruk is day-to-day, apparently they need to do more tests. At least its not as bad as the last major injury. TSN had some of their guys at the game, and one of them actually thought he was dead :shock: I suppose its not coincidental that now Campbell is talking about whether fighting still belongs in the game
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Burak Gazan wrote:I suppose its not coincidental that now Campbell is talking about whether fighting still belongs in the game
Colin Campbell is a fucking moron. Yeah, let's ban fighting, but we'll let the guys do knee to knee hits, charging from behind, highsticking in the face, and elbow to head hits. The guy does not give a shit about player safety. Even if someone like Crosby or Ovechkin gets his career ended by a cheapshot, dumbfuck Campbell will still be blabbing on about the need to take fighting out of the game while doing absolutely nothing about cheapshots.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

The part near the end of the article is dead on:
There is a counter-argument to banning fighting, however.

Some players could take more liberties with the stars without fear of answering to a tough guy.

''I worry about what would happen if there wasn't a way to let out the frustration with a fight,'' said Roenick. ''Because let's face it, there is absolutely no respect in the game any more, with the way guys are taking runs at people and with the cheap shots and the late hits. Guys are getting hurt. If you take fighting out all of a sudden these guys are going to take even more liberties because they don't have to be accountable for themselves.

''I think somebody is going to get hurt more from a vicious hit from a guy not being worried that he has to drop his gloves and get his ass kicked.''

Primeau agreed with JR and has a solution.

''It has to go hand in hand,'' said Primeau. ''If you're going to outlaw fighting, you absolutely have to outlaw any kind of stick infraction. So if you're saying, for example, that fighting is a 10-, 15- or 20-game suspension, then a reviewable high stick has to automatically be a 10-, 15- or 20-game suspension.

''Because sticks are just going to get higher when guys know there is no recourse or retribution.''

The no respect factor is just getting worse. I watched highlights of the Pens-Islanders game last night and some imbecile kicked another player between his legs in response to a hit on the boards :shock: