HAB Reality Defying Munition passes it's first tests

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

HAB Reality Defying Munition passes it's first tests

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Now there's a versus argument I've never seen. :lol:

Muy cool. 8)
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I can only assume we made an Ack-Ack with AM filled shells.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Pretty good except for one thing, that ISD is not a mile long. Very amusing, nevertheless.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

The massive tidal wave that will be created when it hits the ocean might be a bit problematic for those gunners.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
LaserRifleofDoom
Padawan Learner

Post by LaserRifleofDoom »

Seggybop wrote:The massive tidal wave that will be created when it hits the ocean might be a bit problematic for those gunners.
Everyone's going to die in that picture. Except the people in pressure-tight compartments inside the ISD.
The Technology of Peace!
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Adrian Laguna wrote:Pretty good except for one thing, that ISD is not a mile long. Very amusing, nevertheless.
Yeah it is, 1600 meters or 1 mile. Thank you come again. :D
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Lord Pounder wrote:
Adrian Laguna wrote:Pretty good except for one thing, that ISD is not a mile long. Very amusing, nevertheless.
I think he means the scaling in the picture is all wrong for a 1.6km long object, it's more like 20 meters :)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Lord Pounder wrote:
I re-iterate my statement with some emphasis for clarity: "that ISD is not a mile long."
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Lord Pounder wrote:
I re-iterate my statement with some emphasis for clarity: "that ISD is not a mile long."
Clearly it's a PSD... a Princess-Class Star Destroyer... 'cuz that's one big pussy!
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

reality defying indeed! It shot down and shrank the target with one hit!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Isolder74 wrote:reality defying indeed! It shot down and shrank the target with one hit!
If Duke Nukem can do it why can't the navy?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
OmegaGuy
Retarded Spambot

Post by OmegaGuy »

Reminds me of a quote from some CBR tard: "An Imperial Star Destroyer has no more firepower than a WW2 Battleship, probably less".
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Lord Pounder wrote:
How do you know? That thing is probably miles away.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

The smoke and assorted debris is too sharp for it to be "miles away". Though the crappy quality of the ISD picture contradicts this. However, taking all the elements as a whole it seems that it's more likely the ISD is not big enough than it being really far.
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

I am not entirely qualified to discuss scaling in this matter; however, I calculate that at a range of 5 miles, a 1 mile long ISD would subtend ~.2 radians, or about 11.5 degrees of arc. Going by those assumptions, it seems reasonable to me that the object in question is a full-size, 1 mile long Imperial Star Destroyer.

Calculations
ISD is ~1 mile long, 5 inch cannon has range of ~5 miles. Assuming the shell struck the ISD amidships, it would create an isosceles triangle, with the cannon at one apex and the ISD making up the opposite side, and having an altitude of 5 miles opposite a side of 1 mile. Therefore, the cannon and half of the ISD would form a 5-.5-5.02 right triangle, and half the ISD would subtend ~.1 radians, meaning that the entire ISD would subtend ~.2 radians.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Crix Dorius
Padawan Learner

Post by Crix Dorius »

darthbob88 wrote:I am not entirely qualified to discuss scaling in this matter; however, I calculate that at a range of 5 miles, a 1 mile long ISD would subtend ~.2 radians, or about 11.5 degrees of arc. Going by those assumptions, it seems reasonable to me that the object in question is a full-size, 1 mile long Imperial Star Destroyer.

Calculations
ISD is ~1 mile long, 5 inch cannon has range of ~5 miles. Assuming the shell struck the ISD amidships, it would create an isosceles triangle, with the cannon at one apex and the ISD making up the opposite side, and having an altitude of 5 miles opposite a side of 1 mile. Therefore, the cannon and half of the ISD would form a 5-.5-5.02 right triangle, and half the ISD would subtend ~.1 radians, meaning that the entire ISD would subtend ~.2 radians.
WTF ?!? Oo
"Ars gratia artis"
North Rhine-Westfalia Anthem
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

Crix Dorius wrote:
darthbob88 wrote:I am not entirely qualified to discuss scaling in this matter; however, I calculate that at a range of 5 miles, a 1 mile long ISD would subtend ~.2 radians, or about 11.5 degrees of arc. Going by those assumptions, it seems reasonable to me that the object in question is a full-size, 1 mile long Imperial Star Destroyer.

Calculations
WTF ?!? Oo
As I said, I'm unqualified to make any serious statement on this sort of thing. If any of the inputs are wrong, feel free to substitute in whatever you think is more accurate.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

But HAB munitions have effective ranges so great that mecha 1000 miles away explode when it is simply loaded. I would not be suprized if the effect of this round was to detonate the hypermatter stores, or at least increase them to their actual real-world mass. Ouch.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

They are on a U-boat. "ALAAAAAAARM!!!"
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys