ASM #544: Iron Man gets pwned.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Praxis
Sith Acolyte

ASM #544: Iron Man gets pwned.

Post by Praxis »

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_ ... 89862.html

hehe, good stuff. :lol: Tony's gonna be ticked.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Are they wanking Spiderman as well? In which case how many more Marvel characters are getting wanked?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

mr friendly guy wrote:Are they wanking Spiderman as well? In which case how many more Marvel characters are getting wanked?
No. Peter beat the shit out the Iron Man of 2020 back in the 80s. He's caught a dump truck when one of the Hobgoblin impostors through it at a bunch of trucks. He usually restrains himself tremendously. He's fast enough to dodge bullets and is immensely strong. He can do a tremendous amount of damage in a very small amount of time if he chooses to.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Not exactly the kind of "pwnage" I'd associate with Spidey-wanking, from what I saw. At least they kept a sense of propriety -- Peter can't really hurt Iron Man, and he doesn't in this sequence.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I assume it may also be in part due to whatever upgrades he received from "The Other" storyline.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Peter's hand bled from the impact there.

I'd like to see Spider-Man get his hands on Cap's shield and beat the crap of Iron Man with it.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wait does 616 Spidey have organic webbing now?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Crazedwraith wrote:Wait does 616 Spidey have organic webbing now?
As a result of the previously-mentioned "The Other", yes.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Praxis wrote:I'd like to see Spider-Man get his hands on Cap's shield and beat the crap of Iron Man with it.
Even that's not realistic; IM's just too strong, too invulnerable and has too many toys at his disposal to let Spidey take him down like that. If it comes down to a no-holds-barred punch-up -- which isn't what we saw in this sequence -- Tony mops the floor with Webhead.

(Of course, the idea that Cap could do any serious damage to Iron Man is kind of silly. Talk about your over-wanked characters....)

Mr. Sinister
Padawan Learner

Post by Mr. Sinister »

He had organic webbing well before "The Other". I think he got them during "Disassembled".
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

SCRawl wrote: Even that's not realistic; IM's just too strong, too invulnerable and has too many toys at his disposal to let Spidey take him down like that. If it comes down to a no-holds-barred punch-up -- which isn't what we saw in this sequence -- Tony mops the floor with Webhead.

(Of course, the idea that Cap could do any serious damage to Iron Man is kind of silly. Talk about your over-wanked characters....)
Have you seen how Peter cleaned house on the Iron Man of 2020? Peter beat the every living shit out of him, moving too fast and striking too hard for him to do anything. Total system crash by the time Peter was done with him. Yes, comic books have inconsistent peformance from issue to issue so who knows how they're going to handle it but there is precedent for Peter completely owning a guy in Stark Iron Man armour.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Mr. Sinister wrote:He had organic webbing well before "The Other". I think he got them during "Disassembled".
Ah, my bad.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

JME2 wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Wait does 616 Spidey have organic webbing now?
As a result of the previously-mentioned "The Other", yes.
Words cannot express how sad this makes me.

Any Spidey's pretty damn versatile fighter, the combination of precog spider sense and uber athetics should make him pretty much unhittable for people that aren't incredible fast. Though Stark has gizmos that can fuck with that.

I seem to recall spidey fairly easily dismantling Sentinels back in the Onslaught time period. Surely Iron Armour can't be that much tougher. (at least: excusing character shields)
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Spidey's always been one of Marvel's heavy hitters. People just never seem to believe it for some reason - probably because he doesn't act like it.

My favorite is still Spidey humiliating the X-Men in Secret Wars.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

SCRawl wrote:
Praxis wrote:I'd like to see Spider-Man get his hands on Cap's shield and beat the crap of Iron Man with it.
Even that's not realistic; IM's just too strong, too invulnerable and has too many toys at his disposal to let Spidey take him down like that. If it comes down to a no-holds-barred punch-up -- which isn't what we saw in this sequence -- Tony mops the floor with Webhead.

Uh...yeah. Which is why Cap had no problem smashing through Iron Man's armor with his shield once Iron Man was immobilized (and 616 Cap is nowhere near Spidey's level of strength). And Spider-Man mopped the floor with Iron Man 2020.

Spidey could fight Iron Man. He'd be disadvantaged (Iron Man is stronger and better armored and armed), but he could potentially win.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Man, how compressible is that webbing? That should have left no room for his internal organs.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

neoolong wrote:Man, how compressible is that webbing? That should have left no room for his internal organs.
He probably eats a lot for his body to be able to produce that much.

Man, if it's that compressed, could you imagine what would happen if a villain slit one of Peter's wrists? BOOM! It'd be like poking a hole in a scuba tank.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

( Reads preview )

Oh, man. That's bad. Writer fiat - Spidey pulls out something he's never done before (I recall him draining his shooters at Morlun but that was back when they were technological) and it stops his opponent cold....

Never mind that

* He took a 'maximum power' Unibeam in the face and took no apparent damage.
* He shot his webbing INTO this Unibeam, and it still had full effect instead of vaporising or even deflecting.

Blech.

Is "Unibeam" supposed to be a flashlight or a damaging attack? :?
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Something not right in the illustration with that panel where Peter punches Tony. Not "Liefeld not right", but not right nonetheless.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Flashlight. Google answers:
a chest-mounted Unibeam (a variable intensity light source usable as a spotlight or a laser; the pentacle shape of the emitter allowed for more accurate laser pulsing while in an atmosphere)
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Also, what's with the voice activated Iron Man systems? I can understand that they help make the fight understandable for the reader, but there's no reason they couldn't have been those cool Tony Stark thought bubbles.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Good point. They should get Hulkling to shapeshift into Tony Stark and mimic his voice. "Active Self Destruct".
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Praxis wrote:Good point. They should get Hulkling to shapeshift into Tony Stark and mimic his voice. "Active Self Destruct".

Yes, if they were trying to make this scene even stupider.

Voice operated Iron Man armour is not only ridiculous (quite possibly the slowest interface available) it's directly counter to Marvel continuity (since Stark currently directly interfaces with his suit via his mind).
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Praxis wrote:
SCRawl wrote:

Uh...yeah. Which is why Cap had no problem smashing through Iron Man's armor with his shield once Iron Man was immobilized (and 616 Cap is nowhere near Spidey's level of strength). And Spider-Man mopped the floor with Iron Man 2020.
I'm not taking issue with the fact that Cap has done this in the comics -- that much is in black and white. I'm arguing that someone with his nominal capabilities shouldn't be able to do so. Really, what can Cap do? He's really, really strong for a human, and he carries around an indestructible shield. Effectively, a strong guy with a hammer (insofar as his ability to damage IM armour is concerned). I could see him able to exploit the weak points of the armour, but IIRC his blow at the end of "Civil War" was against the chestplate. Such an individual shouldn't be able to do what Cap does, which is why I refer to him being over-wanked.

I haven't seen Spidey take on Iron Man 2020, though I will reiterate that they ought to be in different weight classes.

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Civil War-era Iron Man can also fuck with Peter's "Spider-Sense" thanks to data gathered while Peter was using his armour, and has demonstrated quite convincing superiority over Peter in combat previously.

(I was going to post pics, but my web server has apparently been moved and I need to abuse them at work tomorrow)

I don't think Iron Man 2020 is really relevant to this. The timeline is too divergent.