Things I never noticed about Robocop

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Things I never noticed about Robocop

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Robocop was on last night, and I decided not going to sleep until 3:30 was a small price to pay. I noticed a few things that were pretty interesting;

1. They set Murphy up. The Robocop program required a donor, so OCP put several 'candidate' officers into high-risk assignments in the hopes one would get killed, he was the first.

2. Robocop is slow. He fights crime at about 2 miles per hour.

3. Robocop is smart. At the end, I'm pretty sure he comes to the board room because he WANTS Dick Jones to get fired, but he can't say it.

4. The black guy is awesome. He has almost no lines, but he keeps coming out ahead in every situation.

Truthfully, I think Robocop is one of the best-done scifi movies of all time, and I can find few flaws or defficiencies in the movie.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Things I never noticed about Robocop

Post by Enigma »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Robocop was on last night, and I decided not going to sleep until 3:30 was a small price to pay. I noticed a few things that were pretty interesting;

1. They set Murphy up. The Robocop program required a donor, so OCP put several 'candidate' officers into high-risk assignments in the hopes one would get killed, he was the first.

3. Robocop is smart. At the end, I'm pretty sure he comes to the board room because he WANTS Dick Jones to get fired, but he can't say it.

4. The black guy is awesome. He has almost no lines, but he keeps coming out ahead in every situation.

Truthfully, I think Robocop is one of the best-done scifi movies of all time, and I can find few flaws or defficiencies in the movie.
I liked watching Robocop, especially the series. I think he was designed to be very tough, strong and an excellent marksman. Agility was definitely not his strong point.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Re: Things I never noticed about Robocop

Post by Big Orange »

CaptainChewbacca wrote: 1. They set Murphy up. The Robocop program required a donor, so OCP put several 'candidate' officers into high-risk assignments in the hopes one would get killed, he was the first.
It's not made fully clear that Omni Consumer Products directly set up Murphy's ambush and death, but Mr. Morton was waiting for a loyal officer to get gunned down in the line of duty.
But he's like a walking tank and most of the crooks seemed pretty dim.
He already had the recorded evidence of Dick gloating over assassinating Bob Morton (also Ronny Cox played the same character in Total Recall and Stargate SG-1).
You mean Johnson the only genuinely likable OCP exec?
Damn right! :)
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

I like Johnson, he's the only OCP that survives all three movies.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Vegi
Redshirt

Post by Vegi »

I watched it last night too on Spike TV even though I have a copy of it on DVD. Johnson knew how to play his cards, smart guy. Got to be to survive that trilogy.
Gustav32Vasa

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Vegi wrote:I watched it last night too on Spike TV even though I have a copy of it on DVD. Johnson knew how to play his cards, smart guy. Got to be to survive that trilogy.
Yeah, I loved how he dealt with that woman in the second Robocop. :)

My favourite Robocop movie is nr1 then 3rd and last nr2.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

It took me a couple of viewings on HBO to catch what Murphy was saying when he first showed up at the new precient. It was pretty clear then that OCP was fishing for donors. OCP ran the Detroit PD.

Robocop was built with the speed, firepower, armor, pick two mentality.

I do wonder how Robocop became "smart". OCP tried to erase Murphy's memories, but did they leave his experience as a cop in place, or did they have to wipe everything? Murphy became Robocop because he and Lewis didn't wait for backup. There was no reason to go after Red Foreman :D and his gang by themsleves.

Robocop still has one of the best movie lines ever:
"Come quietly or there will be... trouble."
Gustav32Vasa

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Deathstalker wrote:Robocop still has one of the best movie lines ever:
"You will come with me dead or alive."
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Gustav32Vasa wrote:
Or rather, 'Dead or alive you're comming with me.'
Gustav32Vasa

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

DocHorror wrote:
Gustav32Vasa wrote:
Or rather, 'Dead or alive you're comming with me.'
Yeah, sorry. It was some time ago I saw Robocop. Aayway its one of my favourite movie quotes ever.

The ED109 is also a favourite of mine.

Loved the scene at the end in the office.

The Chairman: "Dick, you're fired."
Murphy: "Thank you"
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Gustav32Vasa wrote:I like Johnson,
Huh huh! Huh huh! Huh huh! You said...

Miguel Ferrer plays the best backstabbing office asshole ever. I've worked with people like him several times...

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I also thought it was funny an urban assault unit couldn't take stairs.
ImageImage
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

That's for the new and improved model. Only a couple of billion extra.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Robocop is a good film and the whole trilogy is pretty decent although I think the first one is the best.

The 2nd one had a really wierd situation with the Drug Crime Boss being an eligible candidate to put into a machine designed to be a crime fighter.

The 3rd one was alot more pathetic and toned down compared to the former two which is a bit of a letdown if you have watched the first two. Both of which tended to be more graphic.

ED-209 is great. Its a big mean ass robot that ends up getting shafted by its own stupidity. Although to be fair, I expect that is more to do with the actual programing and the situation they are put in.
If they were used as an assualt unit and not some sort of Police sentry bot then the situation with having to give warnings and leaving them open to being caught out might be removed.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

One of the greatest dark comedies ever made.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

Robocop is one of my top-favorite sci-fi trilogies ever. I mean robocop for fuck sakes is a childhood hero.

The 3rd one was alot more pathetic and toned down compared to the former two which is a bit of a letdown if you have watched the first two. Both of which tended to be more graphic.
It actually because the budget for the movie was cut to about 5 million i think and that the company that produced the film ( Orion Pictures ) went into bankruptcy. It was actually filmed in 1991.

ED-209 not being able to navigate the stairs was due to it's design and not its programming. It was designed as a ground based assault machine and not for building entry or any combat situation that required him to enter buildings. He was made more for guarding.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

I think that whole "ED can't walk down stairs" was to emphasize an advantage that Robocop, being a Cyborg who was once human, had over a totally robotic entity.

I also liked how the ED started crying like a baby when it fell down the stairs.

The whole "Let's make a criminal RoboCop2" thing made more sense in Miller's original screenplay for Robocop 2, where OCP hired a bunch of mercenaries to take over for the Police when they went on strike in RC2, and it's one of the mercenaries KIA who becomes robocop 2.

Of course then the crazy psychologist woman for whatever reason decides to transfer her own personality into the new cyborg...
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

One of my absolute favorite movies of all time. I always loved Jones' deadpan expression at his line in the boardroom, like he's seen the massacre of a human being WAAAY too many times: "I'm sure it's only a glitch. A temporary setback."

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I also thought it was funny an urban assault unit couldn't take stairs.
neoolong wrote:That's for the new and improved model. Only a couple of billion extra.

Of course, Jones has the perfect speech again.

"We had a guaranteed military sale with ED-209! Renovation programs! Spare parts for twenty-five years! Who cares if it works or not?!?"

Ah. I love the smell of contractor meltdowns in the morning...
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

RC1 was great.
RC2 was decent.

RC3 was pretty lame. It seriously lost continuity with RC2 (Directive 4 had already been purged, as I recall), and everything else the movie had was just gimmics (rocket pack, ninja droid, etc.). It lacked the kind of tight storytelling that made RC1 great.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ted C wrote: RC3 was pretty lame. It seriously lost continuity with RC2 (Directive 4 had already been purged, as I recall)
They erased Directive 4 during the course of the movie. It's still there at the beginning when the Evil OCP Man shoots Lois and Robocop can't shoot him in return (he ends up firing at the empty OCP trucks instead).
JADAFETWA
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Best thing:

Look at murphy's bootup sequence: it has command.com in it :D
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The series was an utter joke as well from what I can dimly recall. They made up random shit that Robocop could do.
Like he had some sort of spikes that came out his feet that could keep him rooted to the ground even when a van is speeding towards him.
Or he had tracer bugs AND explosive bugs that had to be shot to blow up.

RC 3 was relatively stupid with the whole erased rule idea, not to mention I REALLY found that whole vision thing a bit freaky. The way they killed Lois was somewhat lame but it makes a change from the usual movie cliche of characters dying dramatically.
We have a robot who is dreaming of his partner, creater and former wife naked...

First one was excellent.

Second one was excellent in its own way. I have to say that the part where RC was getting stripped and thrown out the car was quite graphic.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

PREDATOR490 wrote: Second one was excellent in its own way. I have to say that the part where RC was getting stripped and thrown out the car was quite graphic.
RoboCop seemed nastier all round; more violence, that sociopathic crook in his early teens, that brain transplant and loads of innocent civilians getting shot up. Also people complain about the Old Man getting worse in the sequel, when he was always a bastard (how come he was unconcerned with Mr. Kinney's death and had a prick like Dick Jones as his second in command at OCP?).
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

One thing I thought was awesome in RC1 was the hostage scene. Robocop bursts through the wall and grabs the guy. He's totally capable of subduing the guy without getting hurt or anyone else getting hurt, but he decides to throw the guy out a third-story window.

Badass.
ImageImage
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

Don't forget shooting between the female hostage's legs.
"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle