Darth Plagueis Novel Cancelled

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Darth Plagueis Novel Cancelled

Post by JME2 »

Did you ever hear the tragedey of Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought not.
I'm sure you've noticed that the Plagueis novel is not listed. It's true. The novel has been cancelled. We decided that this was not the right time to delve into Palpatine's back story and Plagueis's beginnings. You'll still see Jim Luceno around, though, as he's an author we are not willing to lose.
Fuck. This was the one upcoming SW novel I was really looking forward to. :evil:
Last edited by JME2 on 2007-03-28 04:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I dunno. I had a feeling they could've made Palpatine.... well.... not quite as evil as he turns out to be in the movies. Like they might let his character down in this novel.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Way to go Del Ray. Why not give us some Mandowank instead. Yet another nail in the coffin of the EU in my opinion.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Well, as they said, they thought it wasn't the right time to delve into that part of the timeline. Perhaps they didn't like what they were receiving and just decided to pull the plug. Doesn't mean they won't go into it eventually.

I'm just hoping that the Death Star book makes it to press...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Looks like I really won't be reading any EU books for a long while. Too bad I guess.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

What's that little dollar bill? You say you want to go to the bookstore? Well the big moving day just got pushed back. You see, Lucasbooks, in their inifinite wisdom, has decided to push back a good novel idea by a good author and instead promote the shit out of that "Legacy of the Force" series you want nothing to do with.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Maybe it conflicts with some of the upcoming TV shows, only thing I can think of.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Vegi
Redshirt

Post by Vegi »

I was interested in this one, too bad. I'll never read another non Sith EU book (ie Darth Bane/Darth Maul/Darth Plagueis) again after the crap that was the new jedi order....or as I like to call it the new jedi oder.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I'm actually relieved...I liked to mystery behind Plagueis.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

No! They got to give everyone in the universe an interesting backstory! I was really looking forward to this. Oh well, I just hope they make that gritty adventurous Greedo novel :P

Screw it. Fuck giving everyone an interesting backstory. Maybe Plagueis was just some stupid Sith schmuck who spent all his time reading shit and teaching shit, boring Palpatine so much that he decided to smother the guy with a pillow in his sleep.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Ah, that's just terrific. It wouldn't surprise me if Rostoni decided to prioritize the new RC novels...
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

My only comment to this begins with "F" and ends with "uck".
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Of course creating the backstory to one of the most interesting and bad-ass Star Wars characters is a bad idea.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Well damn, this has been the only book that I had a passing interest in. Oh, well. No money for you Lucas.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Ditto that. Sheesh.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

FTeik wrote:My only comment to this begins with "F" and ends with "uck".
I concur, my friend! Fantastic luck!
Fleshing out the backstory of the epitome of evil in the incredible saga of Star Wars would have totally ruined everything. Good thing they nipped that idea in the bud!
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Doshniel
Redshirt

Post by Doshniel »

About that is the legacy series really that bad?
Not that I don't expect them to be, but at least there are good atagonists, arent' there?
I prefer sith to Yuhzan Vong. Perhaps that's just me...
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Their Iffy, Betrayl the first on was good. I didn't like the ones that focased on the Main Characters. Then again, I like the EU for the fact that their is room for new people
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Darth_Bastard
Redshirt

Post by Darth_Bastard »

The whole existence of Darth Plagueis or however you spell it is a blight on an otherwise decent story. Tell us you got the secret from a mob of aliens you killed, tell us you have been doing the research yourself, tell us you have med-bots working on it around the clock, but this ham-fisted, transparent attempt to set up more licensing really stank. Not that the whole love-triangle angle of the films was handled well to begin with, of course.

How much less complicated is it to kill Pamdé and make it look like the Jedi are responsible? By what orders of magnitude?
Doshniel
Redshirt

Fanfic??

Post by Doshniel »

So this means that somebody might still make a good fanfic about Plagueius, what remains to be seen is if anybody would be up to the task. However the time to create it, will of course deter most from even trying.
Darth Massacrus
Youngling

Post by Darth Massacrus »

Something I've noticed for awhile, and that nobody else (not even at Lucas) seems to realize: if the novel was to be about Darth Plagueis, that doesnt mean it has to include anything about Palpatine. It could be about only Plagueis and how he became a Sith, and his search for an apprentice. Hell, he could have even been the Sith Apprentice to Darth Vectivus, if only to tie up the whole Vectivus loose end. But for some reason, it had to potentially include info on Palpatine, even though there was no need to have any in it.

Here's how the book could have ended (ideally):

'...and as he burned the body of his former Master Darth Vectivus in his asteroid base, a disturbance arose in the Force. Attuning himself to the Dark Side, Darth Plagueis sensed that his search for an apprentice would end in the Chommel Sector, located across the galaxy....'

NOTE: this story would end in the year 82 BBY
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

God damnit now he's a necromancer! Run his stupidity is pissing off the dead and causing them to come back from the grave!
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Darth Massacrus is trying to gun for the title necrotard.

*lock*
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete