Recommend some upbeat music.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Recommend some upbeat music.

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I don't know what I'm looking for in terms of genre but I definitely know I want to listen to stuff that are upbeat. I suppose an example of such a thing would be something along the lines of Prince - Baby, I'm a Star.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Well, there's always lots of stuff from the classics, such as Schubert's "Trout Quintet, Op. 115" or Beethoven's "Ode To Joy". You'll find plenty of uplift from Mozart's various piano concertos and his scores for The Marriage Of Figaro, The Magic Flute, and Cosi Fan Tutti. For consistently upbeat, happy music, there's plenty to be mined from 70s disco: particularly from the works of Sir Elton, naturally.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Happy Hardcore is pretty uniformly upbeat.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Bob Sinclair's Rock This Party

Scatman John - Scatman

Paul Revere by The Beastie Boys
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

Lately I've been rocking out to the pop-punk of the Dollyrots. A couple of their songs, New College and Kick me to the Curb, are on Youtube. They have a couple more on their myspace page as well.
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I find I'm always totally happy when I'm grooving to Bob Marley, then again that could be due to the activity which tends to accompany Bob Marley tunes. Then there's The Beach Boys which is mostly surfer party music, well, at least until Brian Wilson lost his marbles.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Mika. Seriously.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I know what you want, even more than you do.

Lemon Jelly - Nice Weather For Ducks
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Just came across another one while spinning through my vinyl collection. Paul Simon - Graceland.
For the full experience, find a copy on vinyl and spin it on a turntable.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
DevNull
Redshirt

Post by DevNull »

Bounty wrote:Mika. Seriously.
I went to school with Mika, nice guy.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

DevNull wrote:
I went to school with Mika, nice guy.
And a very good musician, even if Grace Kelly is getting overplayed.
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Listening to him on YouTube, he's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Thanks, Bounty. I'm going to have to pick up his CD. Well, whaduya know, he's twentieth on Amazon's sales.
Aerius wrote:For the full experience, find a copy on vinyl and spin it on a turntable.
Aerius, I think I have to stop reading your posts because you're making my "impulse buy organ" go on the willies! :P
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Aerius, I think I have to stop reading your posts because you're making my "impulse buy organ" go on the willies! :P
You're in NYC, which like any other large city will have a bunch of pawn shops. Pawn shops are your friend when it comes to scoring obsolete audio gear like turntables and receivers with phono-stages for turntable inputs.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

GuppyShark wrote:Happy Hardcore is pretty uniformly upbeat.
Sure if you like chipmunks and car alarms.

For my part I'd recommend some Scissor Sisters. In particular Take Your Momma Out, Laura, Tits On The Radio, She's My Man and Kiss You off.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Soontir C'boath

aerius wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:Aerius, I think I have to stop reading your posts because you're making my "impulse buy organ" go on the willies! :P
You're in NYC, which like any other large city will have a bunch of pawn shops. Pawn shops are your friend when it comes to scoring obsolete audio gear like turntables and receivers with phono-stages for turntable inputs.
See what I mean! ;)

There is no way I am spending my spring break calling up pawn shops asking if they have working turntables and coming over to check if they really mean it. :P

*checks google for local pawnshops then realizes* CUUUURSE YOUUUUU!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

There's something oddly satisfying about compelling other people to spend their money... :)

Remembered yet more funny music during my daily listening session. A couple albums from Frank Zappa, Strictly Commercial and Cheap Thrills. Crude, raunchy, and pretty damn hilarious, how can you not laugh while grooving to a song about slutty Catholic school girls?
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

You can never, ever, ever go wrong with the Ramones. If you're listening to Rock n' Roll High School & not grinning like a loon you're probably clincally dead.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Try this.

Don't worry about the first few seconds of warped sound; it goes away immediately. The first 2 and a half minutes or so had me practically jumping out of my chair along with the pianist. I love Sgouros' spirited performance, in both acoustic and visual respects. Watching him makes me wonder if this is an approximation of how Liszt played back in the 1800s. It's a damn shame he's not performing anymore. And to think that was him when he was only FOURTEEN....
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Keep on Movin' - Five
Somewhere Only We Know - Keane
Dragostea din tei - O Zone
Sunshine - Twista
Dancing in the Moonlight - Top Loader
Is This the way to Amarillo - Tony Christie
The Touch - Stan Bush
Take Your Mama - Scissor Sisters
Are You Looking at me? - Ricky Tomlinson
Miracle - Mike and the Mechanics
Chocolate Salty Balls - Isaac Hayes
Good Morning Starsine - Donovan
I Feel Fine - Beatles
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!