Things I never noticed about Robocop

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

And that line also made it into the hilariously crappy game Smash TV.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Yeah, Robocop is famous for featuring spoof TV shows that are satirical and sleazy in content, mocking late 1980s America. Does anyone else think Total Recall is satirical in tone? And I thought Starship Troopers was ruined slightly, when it ended with the bombastic FOX News like montage showing the Mobile Infantry getting new ships and weapons.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I think Total Recall was somewhat satirical, yes. But I don't think the end to SST was ruined, because, really, the final news net segment just showed more jingoistic "WE WILL WIN!" bullshit, that is reminiscent of the mission accomplished PR stunt Bush did in 2003.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I got to get me the DVD somethimes. Truly one of the best sci-fi movies ever created.

Timeless classic
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I think Total Recall was somewhat satirical, yes.

Total Recall seemed to be a relatively straight action adventure, but it had it's darkly comical moments like deformed Martian hookers and that innocent commuter on the escelator getting shredded apart by enemy fire then used a human shield by Quaid.
But I don't think the end to SST was ruined, because, really, the final news net segment just showed more jingoistic "WE WILL WIN!" bullshit, that is reminiscent of the mission accomplished PR stunt Bush did in 2003.
The civil war raging Mexico that was always in Robocop's "Media Breaks" was disconcertingly similar to real life news reports from Iraq and Afghanistan, except it was communists instead of Muslims (I can recall complaints levelled at ITV or Channel Five for showing Robocop so soon after 9/11).
JonathanMS
Youngling

hm

Post by JonathanMS »

Yeah, I loved the Robocop movies(except for the third one and the tv series). Robocop I and II are some of my favorite scifi movies of all time and Robocop vs Robocop II was one of my favorite fight scenes in film.

As for famous lines, I loved the irony of a cyborg using the phrase "We're only human." when Lewis expressed frustration that "the Old Man" would probably escape legal action at the end of Robocop II.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Also Ronny Cox, Peter Weller and Kurtwood Smith had notable guest roles in the Star Trek franchise - Cox turned up as a crooked Federation admiral in TNG, Kurtwood Smith turned up in Trek at least twice (the first time as the wizened Federation president from TUC, the second as the obsessed timeship captain from VOY) and Petter Weller was a human supremacist in the more recent ENT two parter, "Terra Prime".
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Big Orange wrote:Also Ronny Cox, Peter Weller and Kurtwood Smith had notable guest roles in the Star Trek franchise - Cox turned up as a crooked Federation admiral in TNG, Kurtwood Smith turned up in Trek at least twice (the first time as the wizened Federation president from TUC, the second as the obsessed timeship captain from VOY) and Petter Weller was a human supremacist in the more recent ENT two parter, "Terra Prime".
Cox wasn't a crooked Admiral, he was that tough as nails Captain Jellico.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

Kurtwoos Smith was also Thrax, Odo's predecessor as DS9's Security Chief.

And Jellico wasn't an Admiral, or corrupt. He was Captain Edward Jellico. One of the few times he's been in Sci-Fi as a non-corrupt good guy.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Was I the only one annoyed that the Starship Troopers movie was the polar opposite of the novel? Both were just vessels for a political opinion, but at least the novel was entertaining.
Truth fears no trial.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Tanasinn wrote:Was I the only one annoyed that the Starship Troopers movie was the polar opposite of the novel? Both were just vessels for a political opinion, but at least the novel was entertaining.
Yeah, it pissed the hell out of me.
As did the insane number of changes to the storyline, setting and characters...it was essentially a hijacking of the title solely for brand-recognition purposes.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Molyneux wrote:
Tanasinn wrote:Was I the only one annoyed that the Starship Troopers movie was the polar opposite of the novel? Both were just vessels for a political opinion, but at least the novel was entertaining.
Yeah, it pissed the hell out of me.
As did the insane number of changes to the storyline, setting and characters...it was essentially a hijacking of the title solely for brand-recognition purposes.
I thought of it as a comedy making fun of WW2 era films.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Molyneux wrote:As did the insane number of changes to the storyline, setting and characters...it was essentially a hijacking of the title solely for brand-recognition purposes.
It was a hijacking of the name simply for the recognition. The production team has openly admitted that it was originally unconnected to SST and only got some names and extremely loose connections pasted on late in the game.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, I thought it was an amusing parody of jingoistic war films. I enjoyed it as such, but I've never read the book.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Total Recall seemed to be a relatively straight action adventure, but it had it's darkly comical moments like deformed Martian hookers and that innocent commuter on the escelator getting shredded apart by enemy fire then used a human shield by Quaid.
There's also the guy he blithely murdered in the hotel room (the guy from the Recall advertisement, who offers him the pill) for the crime of trying to deceive him and being caught out (ie. the sweat). :P

Of course, the ultimate comical moments in that movie were:

"BENNNY!!!! SCREEEWWWWWWWWWWWW YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!" (as he kills him with an industrial drill)

or the immortal

"SEE YOU AT THE PARTY, RICHTER!"
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Vympel wrote:
There's also the guy he blithely murdered in the hotel room (the guy from the Recall advertisement, who offers him the pill) for the crime of trying to deceive him and being caught out (ie. the sweat). :P

"BENNNY!!!! SCREEEWWWWWWWWWWWW YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!" (as he kills him with an industrial drill)

or the immortal

I liked how you never could be quite sure, after the part with the pill-doctor, whether it really was all a hallucination or not...the rest of the movie completely follows the guy's prediction.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

I always assumed the whole thing was a hallucination, and at the end the fade to white means he's been lobotomized.

Didn't Verhoeven sorta hint at this is his commentary?
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Stormbringer wrote:
Molyneux wrote:As did the insane number of changes to the storyline, setting and characters...it was essentially a hijacking of the title solely for brand-recognition purposes.
It was a hijacking of the name simply for the recognition. The production team has openly admitted that it was originally unconnected to SST and only got some names and extremely loose connections pasted on late in the game.
It revolts me when filmmakers do that.
Truth fears no trial.
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Most gratifying moment ever last night.

I sat down with my girlfriend to show her Robocop.

"Dick, you're fired!"
Directive 4 scrambles off the screen.
"Thank you."

She giggled with joy.

It was the best sound I've ever heard.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:

or the immortal

Heh, yeah. Verhoeven got Ironside to lose his legs in SST instead of his arms later on.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Does anyone like the order in which they programmed Robocop's directives?

1.) "Serve the public trust"
2.) "Protect the innocent"
3.) "Uphold the law"
4.) "Classified"
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

MKSheppard wrote: 4.) "Classified"
What's sinister about that "directive" is that it bounds Robocop to Omni Consumer Products at the expense of every other directive...
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

You expect OCP to pump millions into a toy that would turn against them or otherwise ruin their endeavours for a better world (for OCP)?

They got their priorities correct for an evil megacorp. One does not like being mistreated by one's products. RoboCop 2's results, for example. Going around, trying to crush RoboCop and blowing away cops and then an ambulance with a minigun.

"This could look bad for OCP."

Single best line of the sequel.
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

I never understood why they didn't put some kind of Directive 4 in RoboCain.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

I at least enjoyed the film much more than the novel (which pissed me off a fair bit).