Things I never noticed about Robocop

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

ShadowSonic wrote:I never understood why they didn't put some kind of Directive 4 in RoboCain.
Perhaps OCP were cutting corners, but they had some safety oversight anyway (which RoboKain crushed) and they didn't mind installing the brain of a drug addled psychopath (or the equally bonkers psychologist didn't).
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

The Original Miller version of who they made into RoboCop 2 made SO much more sense than the movie, but I still love it.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

ShadowSonic wrote:I never understood why they didn't put some kind of Directive 4 in RoboCain.
The psychopathiatrist thought she could use Kain's drug addiction to control him, instead.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Big Orange wrote:And I thought Starship Troopers was ruined slightly, when it ended with the bombastic FOX News like montage showing the Mobile Infantry getting new ships and weapons.
I think that montage was intended to just give the audience some closure on the whole war outcome.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

You know, it took me a while to realize this, but I think Cain's addiction to Nuke was supposed to be his "link to his prior life", a dark twisted mirror of what kept Murphy going, his connection to his prior life.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

ShadowSonic wrote:The Original Miller version of who they made into RoboCop 2 made SO much more sense than the movie, but I still love it.
What was the Original Miller version?

(and the bit about Nuke -> Cain = Duty -> Murphy is actually pretty good. I hadn't realised that either.)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Molyneux wrote:
ShadowSonic wrote:The Original Miller version of who they made into RoboCop 2 made SO much more sense than the movie, but I still love it.
What was the Original Miller version?

(and the bit about Nuke -> Cain = Duty -> Murphy is actually pretty good. I hadn't realised that either.)
Frank Miller of Sin City/300 fame wrote a script for Robocop 2 (or perhaps it was a comic, not sure); it was considered by the studio but eventually tossed in favor of another writer's rendition.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

In Miller's version, to keep the city from being totally messed up during the police strike OCP hires several mercenaries to maintain order, but they turn out to be a bunch of psychos who get into firefights with the remaining non-strik cops as well as killing criminals.

One of them, a real nut named Kong, is killed in action so OCP decides to use him as the "base" for Robocop 2, the head of the project is this pop psychologist who hates Robocop. They never explain why she hates Robocop, in fact she hates him SO much that after Kong's initial battle with Robocop and then him returning for repairs and refit, she transfers her personality into Robocop 2, leading to the inevitable "going berserk" scene. Robo then tracks her down (or she goes after him) and he destroys her.

Sergeant Reed and the Old Man (who wasn't such a bad guy in Miller's version, I think) both get killed in this version. There isn't much in the way of humor, rather dark all throughout.

Oh yeah, the psychologist dresses like a hooker. Don't know if this was specific by Miller, or the artist realized this was a Frank Miller story and made her look that way.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I'd not mind seeing that made, but for the first sequel's flaws and lack of original people working on it, it was still entertaining. Just not RoboCop level quality.

We do not talk of three, because that is the movie that sent Miller into his sojourn from Hollywood until Sin City.
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

The only stuff in three that Miller had anything to do with was the whole thing of OCP sending in this team of Mercenaries when the Cops disobey them.

So they chopped up his screenplay for Robocop 2 and used elements of it in Robocop 3 as well.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Who was the original brain donor?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

I said it in the prior post, it was one of the mercenaries they had hired to protect the Delta City construction teams during the police strike, a particularly vicious fellow named "Kong".
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Well I just showed Robocop directors cut to my GF who has never seen it before. I didn't think she'd like it but she thought it was pretty good actually.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Why badmouthing Robocop 3, I thought it was better then RC 2.

Not as good as the first but still enjoyable.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Well I just showed Robocop directors cut to my GF who has never seen it before. I didn't think she'd like it but she thought it was pretty good actually.
Even though there's only about a minute or two more footage in the DC than the theatrical release, it makes a huge difference.

A great example of how cutting even a second or two out of a scene can change the entire tone.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Hey, His Divine Shadow, I like that new Omni Consumer Products themed sig. And did any else think that OCP's global skyscraper headquarters was OTT, with it's gigantic internal spaces, glass elevators and sky bridges? That was an excellent example of decent matt painting.