40,999 [SG-1 / 40K]

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

40,999 [SG-1 / 40K]

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I don't normally get very involved in the fanfiction scene, but I've had a few ideas recently that I needed to get down on figurative paper. I thought I might as well post it here.

Note that I'm a relatively casual Stargate fan, so if I get matters of continuity or otherwise wrong, please let me know.

Also note that the setting for the SG-1 portion of this is late season 2, after "1969" but before "Out of Mind," so that's why Carter's a captain and so on. The 40K portion is, as one might guess from the title (continuing in the grand tradition of SG-1 episodes named for years), set in 999.M41.

Comments and criticism are of course welcome (as is letting me know if I'm a total hack and should never write anything ever again).

Chapter One

"Trees. Always trees."

Colonel Jack O'Neill surveyed his surroundings from beneath the shade of what resembled an average fir, looking over the rolling hills that extended as far as the eye could see in all directions. More fir trees covered the landscape, creating the image of a pristine, verdant forest, untouched by signs of civilization. He turned as the sound of booted feet announced the arrival of the rest of his team.

"We did not find anything of consequence, Colonel O'Neill." The imposing figure of Teal'c rose up alongside the military man, having navigated the steep climb out of the valley below.

"Well, figures. Doesn't look like anything's here, let's head back to the gate and go home."

Captain Carter was quick to protest. "Sir, let me get a few more soil samples first. I'd like to-"

"What is it with you and soil samples? It's dirt." O'Neill wanted to get the mission over with, but trying to dissuade Samantha Carter from satisfying her scientific curiousity was usually an exercise in futility. Cutting off any further protests, he reluctantly acquiesced. "Fine, go get more dirt, then we're leaving." Scientists.

Carter looked like she was about to debate the value of collecting soil, but evidently thought better of it and set off with Teal'c in search of a suitable spot. When the pair was out of earshot, the middle-aged colonel turned incredulously to the younger man next to him. "Dirt."

Doctor Daniel Jackson merely shrugged helplessly at the team's commander, changing the subject as he looked down at the valley below their position. "Well, near as I can tell the Goa'uld haven't been here in quite awhile, if they were even here at all. There's certainly no signs of any human life."

"Yeah, I gathered that. Let's just get off..." The colonel trailed off, trying to recall the computer-assigned designation for this particular planet.

Jackson chimed in helpfully. "Ah, P3X-749."

"I knew that," was the mildly indignant reply.

Before long, Carter returned with Teal'c in tow, no doubt toting newfound soil samples. "Ok, I got what I needed sir."

"Glad you got your dirt, Captain. All right, let's move out," ordered O'Neill, maneuvering the team back down the rocky slope into the valley housing the stargate they came through. About halfway down the slope, an actinic flash suddenly lit up the terrain, followed promptly by the rumble of distant thunder. The colonel looked up and saw ominous clouds darkening the previously azure sky, eliciting a profound "Huh," from the man.

"It would seem a thunderstorm is approaching, Colonel O'Neill," came the typically blunt observation of the dark-skinned Jaffa.

A confused look crossed Jackson's face as he watched the dark clouds gather. "Uh... wasn't it perfectly sunny just five minutes ago?"

"That was indeed the case, Daniel Jackson," confirmed Teal'c, "We should make haste to the chaapa'ai."

O'Neill nodded his agreement. "Yeah, I'd rather not get soaked if we can help it. Unless you want rain samples too, Captain?"

The junior officer frowned. "I think I'll manage, sir."

Jack smiled caustically. "Good! Shall we?" Indicating the distant stargate, he began to lead his team down into the valley at a slightly increased pace. Before long the familiar rune-covered ring was in front of them, alone save for a short pedestal with similar markings. "Carter, dial us home," the colonel swiftly ordered, looking up at the approaching storm. Further bright flashes of lightning and increasingly loud crashes of thunder announced it was nearly upon them. Samantha hurried over toward the pedestal, pressing a select handful of the runes in order before palming the red orb set in the middle of the collection of markings. The matching ring ahead of them began to spin in time with Carter's input, culminating in a blue-white flash that left a shimmering, watery field filling the ring's interior.

By now the storm was on top of the four explorers, rain beginning to fall on them in a veritable deluge. The Air Force captain punched in a series of digits on the remote strapped to her arm and nodded to her superior. Grumbling about the rain, O'Neill ushered everyone toward the activated stargate, as one by one they slipped into the glimmering field with an aquatic slurp. Glancing back out at the stormy valley for a brief moment, he swiftly followed his team into the gate, only to miss the massive bolt of electricity arcing down from the heavens to strike the active stargate. Energy visibly coursed through the naquadah ring, causing the bluish field to fluctuate for a moment before vanishing entirely.

The stargate was static once more, sitting silently under the clear, azure sky above.

Captain Carter emerged on the other side, expecting to see the sterile interior of Cheyenne Mountain. Instead she was greeted with a desolate wasteland, the reddish hue of the sky giving the barren ground an unhealthy, alien coloration. The shimmering ring behind her wetly regurgitated her fellow SG-1 members in order, all four sharing a look of confusion as they took in their unknown surroundings.

"This is not the SGC," Teal'c pointed out. The others did not immediately respond, engrossed in trying to identify what had happened. Carter and O'Neill brought up their MP5 submachine guns instinctively, covering different approaches to their position while Jackson looked around in confused awe. The tall Jaffa simply stood impassively, looking unperturbed at the unexpected destination, but with staff weapon held ready nonetheless.

Sam Carter suddenly rushed forward and shouted, "Colonel! Over here!"

O'Neill looked over toward the woman, who was now crouching near the dial-home device, her MP5 slung behind her back. Moving toward the captain, he quickly discovered what the fuss was all about. A bloodied, ragged body was slumped against the pedestal and a quick examination of the surroundings yielded another similar form collapsed in a heap nearby.

Carter looked up from the bloody mess. "He's dead, sir. At least I think he's a he." Frowning to herself, she quickly added, "Can't have been dead for very long. Whatever did this is probably still around."

The man had definitely been killed. Neat gashes perforated the corpse, as if it had been sliced with dozens of swords in quick succession. More curiously, strange tubes extended from various points on the body, several of which had been severed. There also seemed to be armor of some kind covering a majority of the remains, though it had evidently done little good.

Grimacing at the grisly sight, Colonel O'Neill looked up and surveyed the surroundings once more. They seemed to be in some sort of large pit, its steep edges and scaffolding suggesting it was artificial. Outside of the pit barren dunes rose on two sides, creating a shallow valley. There didn't seem to be any sign of who had slain the two fallen men, however. "So where the hell are we?"

Jackson knew an archaeological dig when he saw one. "It's a dig site. They were digging up the stargate, just like we did back on Earth."

"Who's 'they'?" inquired the colonel. "And I still want to know where we are."

"Well, uh... whoever." The archaeologist gestured lamely toward the corpses.

"Colonel, we have a problem!" Carter's voice rang out, causing O'Neill's head to snap back around, alert for any sign of danger. Thankfully there still didn't appear to be anything hostile in sight. "Sir, it's the DHD. It's completely shot. Look." The brainy captain indicated the blood-stained pedestal. Many of the slain man's tubes appeared to be interfaced with the ancient device somehow, but that wasn't the worst of it. Sam had uncovered extensive damage to the pedestal's innards, most of it resembling the same fine cuts that had killed the unfortunate person slumped nearby.

"That's a problem," stated the older officer dryly. "Can we dial manually?"

Captain Carter shrugged uncertainly. "We'd need to get power to the gate somehow, sir." She looked around at the wasteland around them. "But all I see is-"

O'Neill finished for her. "Dirt."
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

You're a total hack and should never write anything again.

That said, this was well-written and somewhat interesting, although Stargate crossovers are kind of cheating. I'll read at least one more chapter.

Here's hoping this will be humorous, preferably darkly so. Stargate, from what I've seen of it (which is the old movie and a half dozen episodes of SG1) is horribly outmatched, and 40k has enough grimdark as it is.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

It'll be amusing for the Imperium forces to assume the Stargate is Xenotech, when it is actually lost human tech (+3 million years & counting). And that the Ancients arent mutant humans, but the humans are mutant Ancients :P

That is of course, assuming the Ancients arent humans from the far future stranded in the past (perfectly doable with what we know about SG-verse tech)
Feil wrote:Here's hoping this will be humorous, preferably darkly so. Stargate, from what I've seen of it (which is the old movie and a half dozen episodes of SG1) is horribly outmatched, and 40k has enough grimdark as it is.
SG-1 (and by extention the SGC) runs around with bonuses to thier luck rolls that the gods would be jealous of. Season 2 is quite early so the SGC really hasnt developed an understanding of many of the Ancient pieces of junk aka plot devices left around the galaxy.

They dont even know the Ancients where genetically human at this point.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Feil wrote:Here's hoping this will be humorous, preferably darkly so. Stargate, from what I've seen of it (which is the old movie and a half dozen episodes of SG1) is horribly outmatched, and 40k has enough grimdark as it is.
Humor isn't my strong suit, but we'll see. And it isn't a direct military confrontation between the two 'verses, that would just be silly.
Xon wrote:It'll be amusing for the Imperium forces to assume the Stargate is Xenotech, when it is actually lost human tech (+3 million years & counting). And that the Ancients arent mutant humans, but the humans are mutant Ancients :Razz:
I've got a bit of a plan for how to tie it all together, though it may play merry hell with some later continuity, as after season 2 I've only seen episodes during TV reruns, so there are considerable gaps in what I've seen, especially in the middle seasons.

Thanks for the comments. Another chapter:
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Chapter Two

Things were not going well. Looking to his left, the man saw Garus working feverishly at the xenotech device, mechadendrites flailing wildly as the hunched form of the tech-priest struggled to activate the alien technology. The crack and boom of nearby gunfire intermingled with nearby thunder and the whistling shriek of xenos weapons, the impossibly-sharp razors slicing through the air and forcing the man to move carefully amongst his team. Kelmann seemed oblivious to the danger, crouched behind some scaffolding and growling with each burst he unleashed from his hellgun. Rain drenched them all, the battle being fought in the strobe-like flashes of lightning.

The man surveyed the rest of his team from the partial cover near Kelmann. Tinnian was down, probably dead, lying out in the open in a pool of his own blood. The man regretted the loss, but lexmechanics rarely fared well in panicky firefights. Silvia was pinned down near the fallen man, unable to reach him, and was taking potshots at the encircling xenos with her pistol. That left Brother Corus, who was probably the only hope the man had of escaping this situation alive. The towering, black-armored Astartes blazed away with his boltgun, silent save for the thunderous roar of his weapon.

Suddenly, the xenos were in their midst. Reality itself seemed to twist and bend for a moment before a cadre of the alien warriors wrenched themselves from elsewhere, strange weapons powering up ominously. The man acted quickly, drawing the sword at his hip and igniting its energy field. His other hand leveled the bolt pistol at the svelte, armored forms of the aliens, pulling the trigger in rapid succession. A sequence of thuds marked the passing of several explosive shells, and one xenos staggered and fell to the dusty ground with ragged holes in its chest. The man ran toward the remaining two, squeezing off shots when he could, but the armored aliens refused to fall. Pinned down and without cover against the teleporting warriors, the man knew his team would swiftly be annihilated if he could not eliminate the two xenos quickly.

One had taken aim at the robed form of Silvia, the holy woman too concerned with returning fire at the encircling enemies to take notice. It moved quickly, but Corus was faster. The superhuman ripped into the hostile warrior with a sustained burst of bolter fire, its armor unable to stand up to the close-range hail of explosives. The alien fell, its lithe body reduced to a heap of nearly unrecognizable lumps of flesh and xeno technology.

With the last alien distracted by the Space Marine's onslaught, the man had a chance to end this. Closing the short distance swiftly, he charged the final enemy with blade in hand. The creature was extremely quick despite its encumbering armor, however, and snapped its gun up to parry the man's desperate strike. Moving almost too fast for the eye to follow, the vile xenos riposted with a flurry of attacks, limbs and damaged weapon striking the man one after the other. Unable to mount an effective defense against the faster warrior, the man was forced to stagger backward, grunting with each hard blow against his lightly-armored frame.

A voice of triumph suddenly rang out. "I got it... I got it!" Garus had succeeded in his task. The ground began to shake, and even over the gunfire the strange workings of the alien devices could be heard. The large circle standing watch over the active battlefield began to light up, its rings moving and sliding into place. With a loud flush, a vortex of light swung out from inside the xeno-ring, bathing the surrounding area in a wash of eldritch light.

Garus's triumph was short lived, however. A rain of razors descended upon him from a new group of blue-armored xenos who had advanced through the feeble return fire the humans were managing. The tech-priest was cut to ribbons in an instant, blood and sparks flying everywhere as he fell to a heap against the alien pedestal whose machine-spirit he had just coaxed into action.

The man knew their only hope of survival was this xeno-ring. He did not know its exact function or purpose, but he knew it could take them from here, and it was better than the certain death they faced at the hands of unclean xenos.

Suddenly, Corus was at his side. A silver arm reached out and plucked the xenos warrior the man had been battling as if it was a ripe fruit, the slender alien flailing helplessly in the Marine's grasp. A black-armored hand met its silver counterpart and in the blink of an eye the hostile alien was torn asunder in a fountain of gore. The Astartes spoke firmly, his deep, metallic voice echoing out of the sealed helmet, "Come. We cannot prevail here."

The man could not agree more, shouting over the vox bead near his mouth. "Fall back! Fall back to the archaeotech device! It is our only chance!" Immediately his team sprung into action. With a howl of maniacal rage, Kelmann left his position after a violent burst of suppressive fire from his hellgun. Silvia scrambled to her feet and raced for the watery field activated by Garus's sacrifice. Satisfied all was in order, the Space Marine grabbed the man and literally hauled him along toward the xeno-ring, razor projectiles ricocheting off his armor as they retreated.

Kelmann plunged through the gate with a headfirst dive. Silvia hesitated for the slightest moment, but was swiftly encouraged by a near hit and plunged in after the ex-Guardsman. Corus reached the gate a moment later, and without a second thought tossed the man through it, following in his wake just as a streak of lightning lit up the ring.

The man's world inverted.

"We have failed," came the lilting voice.

Another joined it. "The mon-keigh escaped through the artifact."

"This is extremely unfortunate," responded a third, "It does not bode well for us. It was necessary to prevent this action."

A fourth, more commanding, interjected. "We should have prevailed. There was interference, by another. One more powerful than I."

The four aliens turned their armored faces to one another, sharing an unseen but knowing look.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Groovy! I really like. :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Damn Eldar. They could at least try EXPLAINING these things first. I mean, some imperials are Reasonable people (See:Inquisitor Gix) who respond better to persausive efforts and evidence than they do to attempted assasinations.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Utah Jak
Padawan Learner

Post by Utah Jak »

Looking good so far. I can't wait to see how this story plays out.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Vehrec wrote:Damn Eldar. They could at least try EXPLAINING these things first. I mean, some imperials are Reasonable people (See:Inquisitor Gix) who respond better to persausive efforts and evidence than they do to attempted assasinations.
The vast vast majority of the Imperium would shoot a Xenos first and ask questions... Never. The reasonable Imperial officer is a rare thing, a very rare thing. Not worth the risk at all, you have better odds of winning the lottery four times in a row.

As it is I too am enjoying this fic... but then again I am easily pleased it has Eldar in it;)
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Just like to point out that the SGC usually uses FN-P90s not MP-5s.
But yeah, great story :mrgreen:.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

darthdavid wrote:Just like to point out that the SGC usually uses FN-P90s not MP-5s.
Did you miss the part where he commented that it was early seasons of SG1? THey used plenty of MP-5's then :P

And I like this. Please carry on!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Elheru Aran wrote:
darthdavid wrote:Just like to point out that the SGC usually uses FN-P90s not MP-5s.
Did you miss the part where he commented that it was early seasons of SG1? THey used plenty of MP-5's then :P

And I like this. Please carry on!
You know I could've sworn they used the P90s from early on. But it's been a while since I've seen an early season episode so I'll defer to your judgement.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Thanks for the comments guys!

And yes, SG-1 was equipped with kitted-out MP5s for at least the first three seasons (and I have Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, so if you don't believe me I can get you a screencap). I vastly prefer them to the P90s, I don't understand why they made the change (needed the ammo capacity for Replicators? :?).

Another chapter, this one's more boring unfortunately, but I don't like to write huge collections of text for this format of fiction (I think it's hard to read, personally).
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Chapter Three

"Off world activation!"

The announcement blared over the intercom between the angry whoops of klaxons, as the bright, concrete corridors lit up with flashes of red emergency lights. Camouflaged troops hurried to their posts, M4 carbines held at the ready. M2 heavy machine guns swiveled on their mounts to cover the large gate dominating the room, its rings spinning and whirling until the room was back-lit in a wash of blue-white light.

"What's going on, sergeant?" demanded a stocky man barging into the control room.

A bald technician worked furiously at his computer station, trying to find the answer to his superior's question. One of the monitors lit up hopefully. "Receiving SG-1's IDC, sir!"

The commander nodded approvingly. "Open the iris!"

With a few deft keystrokes, the younger sergeant executed the general's command, and the spiral-like metallic disc filling the center of the stargate retreated, revealing the watery field suspended within the ancient ring.

General Hammond looked up expectantly, awaiting his premier SG team's return. What stepped out of the active gate, however, was not SG-1.

After searching the two mutilated bodies for any helpful clues, O'Neill led his team out of the pit and up one of the nearby hills. They moved more cautiously than they had in the woodland, and even Daniel had his M9 out. Their olive drab fatigues did not blend in well with the reddish-brown landscape, and cover and concealment were virtually non-existent. Only the occasional rock or boulder broke up the hilly terrain.

Carter looked down over the shallow valley where the stargate was being excavated. She frowned. Why hadn't they returned to the SGC? Something was out of place.

"O'Neill, several vehicles approach." Teal'c's calm voice jerked Sam's thoughts to the present, looking off toward where the Jaffa had indicated. Sure enough, distant plumes of dust announced the presence of a number of vehicles, and by the looks of it they were heading toward the dig site.

Colonel O'Neill lowered the binoculars he had raised to his eyes. "Eh... look like APCs of some kind. Bet you they're the ones who killed those men."

Jackson sighed inwardly. "Or, they're friends who want to find out who -- or what -- did kill them."

O'Neill glanced back at Jackson with a look that said Yeah, right and signaled to the rest of the group to stay low. They each found suitable rocks to hide behind along the crest of the hill, keeping watch as the column of vehicles closed in on the stargate's location. Carter could definitely make them out now, three armored troop carriers with a number of obvious weapons and very loud engines. The three APCs fanned out and approached the dig site cautiously, turrets scanning for targets as a squad of troops disembarked from each vehicle. The mechanized infantry swept in with military precision, and after several minutes had covered the entire archaeological site without incident.

Another figure now left one of the parked vehicles, accompanied by a couple aides. Probably their commander, Carter figured. The new form moved down to the scaffolded pit and began issuing orders directly, though Sam was too far to make out the words. After a few more uneventful sweeps of the area, the troops formed a perimeter around the site and appeared to relax while the commander conferred with his aides.

O'Neill rallied the team behind the cover of the hill. "So, we're stuck on an alien planet with no sign of life in sight except for a platoon of soldiers with unknown intentions and the only way out is both guarded and broken. Any ideas?"

The other three glanced at each other helplessly before Daniel spoke up. "Well... we could try to establish diplomatic contact with them. I mean, they could be a patrol from the only human presence on the planet. With the DHD gone, that could mean that they're the only way out of here."

Carter nodded in agreement. "Sir, I don't see much other choice. And isn't that what we're supposed to do? They might have knowledge of the Goa'uld we could use, or the stargate."

Jackson shook his head. "No, probably not. If they're digging up the stargate it probably means it hasn't been used in a long time, which means the Goa'uld probably haven't been here in just as long."

"I concur with Daniel Jackson," added Teal'c, "I do not think the Goa'uld have been here for quite some time. They would not have allowed the humans the technology to construct such vehicles."

Carter caught movement out of the corner of her eyes. Shifting her position slightly, she peered over the hill and down at the stargate. The troops were milling about, and now a new vehicle had joined the others. "Sir! I think you should take a look at this."

O'Neill moved to get a better view of what Carter was looking at. From the new vehicle emerged a darkly-clad figure, who marched up to the troop commander imperiously. After a brief exchange, the commander appeared to cower in fear, bowing before the dark arrival and ordering his troops to make way. The dark figure moved over to the edge of the dig site, peering down at the two slain men. With a final bark of orders, the dark man returned to his vehicle and it drove off. Soon two of the APCs followed suit, returning from whence they came with their squads, leaving only the commander, his aides, and a single squad at the stargate.

Colonel O'Neill turned to his team. "Show time."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

...MOAR!!! I demand more!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Utah Jak
Padawan Learner

Post by Utah Jak »

This is going to get very interesting. Can't wait to see SGC's reaction to the Astartes!
Dominus
Padawan Learner

Post by Dominus »

Bah, I don't care much for Stargate, but, by the Deceiver, you just may make a fan out of me yet. Great work thus far, Brother-Captain. I am grudgingly admitting to eagerly looking forward to the next installation. If the people who ended up in SG-1's past are who I think they are, the Stargate characters are in for an... interesting culture shock indeed. :wink:
"There is a high statistical probability of death by gunshot. A punch to the face is also likely." - Legion

"The machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only though the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the machine!" - Paullian Blantar, Iron Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Thanks for the responses. I've been a little busy recently, and will continue to be for a day or two, so unfortunately I only have about half a chapter done here.

I'm particularly looking for criticism regarding pacing, length, flow and things of that nature. If you have time to comment on those, I've been pretty apprehensive about them especially while writing this (half of a) chapter, so I'd be grateful.

Anyhoo:

Chapter Four (Part One)

The first man who tumbled through the gate had obviously just been through a firefight. His breastplate was scored with signs of combat and his fatigues were torn in various places, flashes of wet crimson beneath marking a number of superficial wounds. What was obviously a rifle clattered down the ramp haphazardly along with its owner, though Hammond did not recognize it as anything made on Earth. Not unexpected, he told himself, SG teams had run into well-developed off-world human civilizations before. Just as the soldier was getting his bearings, a more unusual sight appeared next through the gate. A feminine figure decked head to toe in an armored body suit hit the metal ramp in front of the stargate, voluminous folds of robes poking out from joints in the slender suit giving the woman a vaguely ethereal quality. There was a meaty-looking pistol clutched tightly in her grip, though it was held non-threateningly as her fierce gaze wandered the concrete room wonderingly.

A third individual stumbled through the shimmering puddle soon after the woman. This one looked as dazed and battle-worn as the rest, but there was a resolute set to his eyes and posture that suggested he was the leader of this rag-tag group. Another pistol similar to the woman's was held more loosely, and opposite it, oddly enough, was a sword. Garbed in a long black coat over top what looked like an armored breastplate, this man was the quickest to recover of the group, glancing around quickly to ascertain his situation.

George Hammond was used to all sorts of bizarre things coming through his gate, especially when SG-1 was involved. Between highly-advanced humans, invisible alien commandos, biological weapons, and most recently, SG-1 themselves fresh out of the 1960s and dressed like hippies, the old general had thought he'd seen it all. He was proven wrong at that moment when from out of the active gate stepped an armored behemoth. Eight feet in height and only remotely humanoid, it resembled a walking suit of armor. The armor itself was almost ludicrous in its proportions, painted a matte black save for one silver-colored arm. Massive shoulder pads framed an eagle-emblazoned chest, and carried casually in the thing's bulky-looking gauntlets was a weapon larger than most crew-served machine guns. A menacing helmet swiveled mechanically, red lenses glaring angrily as they swept the room as if this was a perfectly normal situation. Hammond was reminded suddenly of the Serpent and Horus Guards. O'Neill had better have a damned good explanation for this one.

That explanation was not forthcoming, however, as the bluish wormhole was sucked into oblivion, vanishing into nothingness behind the armored giant. A mixture of confusion and anger crossed General Hammond's features for a moment before he regained his composure and leaned forward into a microphone. "Defense teams, hold your fire! This is General Hammond of the SGC. Identify yourselves!"

By now the battered soldier and robed woman, the first two through the gate, had picked themselves up and were looking around warily, just now registering the dozens of weapons pointed in their direction. The soldier had collected his rifle and let it slowly droop as he took in the tactical futility of the situation. Gazing over the defense teams, the sword-armed man licked his lips and took a determined step forward.

"General, my name is de Grahz. We were fleeing an alien attack." The accent was a little strange, but the SGC commander was used to other humans speaking something resembling English.

Hammond took a moment to appraise the situation. This de Grahz's claim was certainly plausible, but he didn't like the look of that black-armored monstrosity. Frowning inwardly, he spoke into the microphone again. "Where is SG-1?"

The group's spokesman straightened visibly and responded a second later, sounding a little confused. "SG... 1?"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I like. It's a mighty nice depiction of the Astartes, too.

Incidentally, how are you explaining the 40K bunch's travel to SGC crossing with SG-1's trip to the planet? Because wormholes are strictly one-way only... unless I missed some detail somewher?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

As a fellow reader, wouldn't Garus' "interaction with the machine-spirit" be a reasonable explanation?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

It goes like this;
  1. SG-1 dials Earth, from Planet C. They trasmit the GDO code to open the irs.
  2. Garus's monkeys with the dialing device, dials somewhere.
  3. Mother of all Lightning strikes the gate the SG-1 team is using. This provides power. Eldar warp-based weaponary hits the active gate the Imperium guys are using, provides voodoo-loopholes in the Ascended non-interventsion laws.
  4. Ascended/God Emperor of Man/Barney the Dinosaur fucks with space&time and thumps where the Stargate's are connected too.
  5. Garus's & Co arrive on Earth after the irs opens.
  6. SG-1 arrives after the elder depart.
This is stargate, I'm fairly sure it states in the smallprint if the 'gate starts fucking up check causality in at the front door.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You can't help but wonder what the hell SGC's gonna do with a bunch of 40k nuts.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I wanna hear more.

Especially since in 40k's history, somewhere on SG-1 Earth the Emperor is Alive and in Hidding.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:You can't help but wonder what the hell SGC's gonna do with a bunch of 40k nuts.
Indeed - not to mention poor SG1 in the 40K universe. "Why don't we talk to the orks"... eep.
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

LadyTevar wrote:Especially since in 40k's history, somewhere on SG-1 Earth the Emperor is Alive and in Hidding.
Maybe. The whole 'origin of the Emperor' thing is from a single uncorroborated mention in some random article of White Dwarf. To my knowledge, there's no real significant theology dedicated to the origin of the Emperor, and it's quite open for interpretation.

This bit feels a little awkward. I'd reverse the order of the second independent clause so that it's in line with the first (i.e. a weapon was carried).
"Massive shoulder pads framed an eagle-emblazoned chest, and carried casually in the thing's bulky-looking gauntlets was a weapon larger than most crew-served machine guns. "
Not unexpected, he told himself, SG teams had run into well-developed off-world human civilizations before.
This is poorly constructed. I'd italicize "Not unexpected" to turn it into literal thoughts, and then put a period after "himself" to show that the quotation is over.

Good so far.