ASM #544: Iron Man gets pwned.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

white_rabbit wrote:anyone got any pics of the Spidey>Wolverine stuff ?

I'd love to see that moron getting his face beaten in by Spidey.
I can't upload to my FTP at the moment, but I found this:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/comics101 ... cksass.jpg
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Oh thats hilarious :lol:

And what a mockery it makes of Spiderman getting beaten up in an Stark Tech suit by two Retards with explosives, and saved by Punisher.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Well, that's after Iron Man softened him up, remember.

And goddamn, Wolverine is an overrated pussy. He's been beaten by 10 year old girls before. I'm not joking.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

GuppyShark wrote: Yeah, just the minor detail that it wasn't Iron Man at all, and has zero relevance to Iron Man vs Spider-Man.
How is Spiderman's ability to punk out a guy in Stark designed power armour not relevant? It simply means that you can't dismiss Spiderman's chances in a fight because he's going up a guy in Stark designed power armour, you have to show that Tony's current suit can take the beating that Peter can dish out and take Peter down.,
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

On Iron Man 2020
Imperial Overlord wrote:
GuppyShark wrote: Yeah, just the minor detail that it wasn't Iron Man at all, and has zero relevance to Iron Man vs Spider-Man.
How is Spiderman's ability to punk out a guy in Stark designed power armour not relevant? It simply means that you can't dismiss Spiderman's chances in a fight because he's going up a guy in Stark designed power armour, you have to show that Tony's current suit can take the beating that Peter can dish out and take Peter down.
It's not even Tony's design!

The suit in the fight between "Iron Man 2020" and Spider-Man was designed by Ando Stark, a distant relation.

To call it "Stark designed power armour", while technically accurate, is a misrepresentation as it was designed by a different Stark.

I'm not trying to claim Iron Man can ignore Spider-Man, I'm just trying to show that the armour of Iron Man 2020 is not a valid indicator. All it tells us is that Spidey can beat up Ando Stark's armour design. And we don't have any reason to think that Ando Stark's armour is necessarily better than Tony's.

In the atrocious fight that started this thread, you can see Tony's armour can take a full punch from Spidey without so much as a scratch (fighting Iron Man without a penetrating attack is probably more about trying to concuss Tony than break his armour).

On Iron Man (Tony Stark) versus Spider-Man (Peter Parker)

Not only that, but he doesn't need to take a punch from Spidey, now that he has had reason and opportunity to study him. This is why my money's on Tony:

The disappearing thing is freaky. That's either metaphor or Stark using a cloaking device simultaneously. I'm actually rethinking this while I'm typing.

I'd expect Peter to have learnt not to rely on his Spider-Sense now when fighting Tony, but if Tony has a way to hide from sight, that for some reason he doesn't use in other situations... yeah, I'm not buying it.

Okay, money's still on Tony since he's nullified one of Parker's better abilities, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

On Timelines

I believe Marvel use divergent universes to explain their time travel stuff, right? So Iron Man 2020's probably not even from Earth-616.

2015 is only eight years away, and Ando's city gets nuked after Spider-Man unknowingly makes him too late to stop it. Man, if Marvel kept their future continuity tight, things are going to get pretty ugly in the Marvel Universe soon.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Not arguing that Arno's armour is equal to Tony's current armour, but since he bought Tony's company and his armour designs, yes it is Tony Stark designed power armour. Since that doesn't seemed to have happened in 616, and Tony's current armour does seem superior, its clear that whatever iteration of Iron Man armour Tony is currently using is more capable than the versions Arno got when he got Stark Industries.

To get technical, Arno's city doesn't get nuked because Spiderman stops him. The timer on Arno's prototype bomb was flawed. When the time displacement yanks Arno back after he takes the beating from Spiderman, its after the explosion he was trying to prevent, at the bottom of a very big crater. Arno doomed himself when he maimed the kid and thus made him grow up to be the terrorist who armed the bomb, because no matter what happened during his trip back, he was going to come back too late. It was Arno's use of force that screwed him.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Thanks for the background info, I was working off the summary of the Iron Man 2020 storyline on Wiki.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

"How'd he do that!?"

I think the part where you shouted out you were coming might have helped, Pete.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What a dick :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Ford Prefect wrote:Though not exaclty Spiderman, I would say this is the greatest example of Wolverine getting punked. Ever.

Spock Kicking Wolverine's Ass
That just made my day.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

NecronLord wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:Though not exaclty Spiderman, I would say this is the greatest example of Wolverine getting punked. Ever.

That just made my day.
Yeah same here.

"To me, you're a JOKE". Classic.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

NecronLord wrote:

That just made my day.
What comic is that from?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Well, that's after Iron Man softened him up, remember.

And goddamn, Wolverine is an overrated pussy. He's been beaten by 10 year old girls before. I'm not joking.
if I'm right though Else Day and Molly Hayes aren't exactly normal ten year olds....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Bounty wrote:What comic is that from?
I'm not quite sure; I knew of one X-Men/Star Trek crossover, but it took place in TNG (I've seen Worf fighting alongside Wolverine, though I don't have any pages). Unless they also did some time travel, which frankly wouldn't surprise me.
What is Project Zohar?

The Yosemite Bear

two parter, 1st issue was X-men with TOS crew, the second issue was Xmen with TNG crew. Seen it before, nearly bought it once. BTW they fought Trelane, Dark Pheonix, and the guy who used to be Kirks second in command.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:two parter, 1st issue was X-men with TOS crew, the second issue was Xmen with TNG crew. Seen it before, nearly bought it once. BTW they fought Trelane, Dark Pheonix, and the guy who used to be Kirks second in command.
I got the TOS one. Not too bad, the scripting.

"Dr. McCoy!"

"YES?" - both Bones and The Beast.

Plus I think they might be fighting Proteus who bonded with a resurrected Gary Mitchell. With the Shiar Imperial Guard running about.
The Yosemite Bear

The next Gen one was with Dark Pheonix and Trelane as a member of the Q continuum.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wait, in the pics, Guppyshark posted, does Iron Man have his own goddamned sider-sense now? Does it only work in spider-man himself or does he have the full version? And has this been refered to outside that one comic?
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Hrmm, you're right, he does say he has a version of it for himself. I was going to say it would be redundant given the full integration that Extremis has created between his suits' sensors and his mind.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Crazedwraith wrote:Wait, in the pics, Guppyshark posted, does Iron Man have his own goddamned sider-sense now? Does it only work in spider-man himself or does he have the full version? And has this been refered to outside that one comic?
He has the ability to mess with Peter's spider-sense, and yes, possesses his own technological replication of the effect.
What is Project Zohar?

Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Wait, in the pics, Guppyshark posted, does Iron Man have his own goddamned sider-sense now? Does it only work in spider-man himself or does he have the full version? And has this been refered to outside that one comic?
He has the ability to mess with Peter's spider-sense, and yes, possesses his own technological replication of the effect.
And no, it hasn't been referred to outside that comic. I don't think it was even mentioned when Iron Man and Spidey fought again in ASM #544
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Why would it? Peter already knows not to rely on his spider-sense when fighting Stark, and Tony doesn't have the superhuman agility to really make much use of his own. Especially since he can take what Peter dishes out.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but...

More at:
http://community.livejournal.com/scans_ ... tml#cutid1
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Does anyone else here think it's weird that Peter went from splitting his skin on Tony's helmet to punching his fist right through it with no effect at all? In what is basically less than ten pages? I know asking comic books to be consistent is a pretty tall order, but you'd think they'd make an effort to keep it consistent in the same goddamn issue.
What is Project Zohar?

Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

No head inside likely changes things, I am not sure how much or in what way, but it went from being pretty much filled to being hollow. Added it is likely the suit has some sort of I don't know powerfield that stregthens the armour, remove it from that and it's a different kettle of fish.

That and that was a punch pete REALLY meant, so it might explain how he was able to smash the helmet, although not why he had no damage to his hand afterwards I agree.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '