The Tesla Coil and the Mulberry Tree (WTF Update)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Ah, excellent. It's good to see this fic going again, and I'm loving the confusion that the conversation between Volgin and Telyanin generated.

A few very little nitpicks. Telyanin mentioning the Third World War should've gotten a huge WTF out of Volgin. Also, I think Telyanin probably would've wanted to explain the situation to Volgin in private, away from the rank and file.

Other than, awsome all around. I especially liked Volgin's comment at the end of the chapter.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yay! more Fic! And poor confused people! Can't wait to see where this is heading.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Brilliant. That exchange was made of win and confusion.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Good stuff to read; Volgin's willingness to put up with Telyanin's first "oh shit" statement (being from the future) and even play along with what he assumed to be misinformation was an interesting trait, as well as Snake and EVA's reactions. I am desirous of MOAR! :)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I see they ran into one of the biggest problems of time travel... Casuality.

Guess those T-Rexes were supposed to eat somebody's grandfather ;)
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
holyknight
Youngling
Location: In a dark alley, slaying the Cultists of Wanknfiction

Post by holyknight »

Edward Yee wrote:Good stuff to read; Volgin's willingness to put up with Telyanin's first "oh shit" statement (being from the future) and even play along with what he assumed to be misinformation was an interesting trait, as well as Snake and EVA's reactions. I am desirous of MOAR! :)
I can guess what Volgin has gotten a slight clue what really is happening...and as he has seen the Tech of this army group...he now has the feeling what he may get a far bigger boon than the Shagodd...far bigger...

If he can convince this group of lost and derailed travellers, of join him and his faction....Snake, and the COBRA group may have to take drastical decisions....

The Joy may have to abandon her mission, as if the USSR or Volgin adquires ANY of the most exotic techs...the situation is going to get FUBAR level!
A devoted follower of the Chaos Goddess and her way.....

Buck Murdock: Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're *flashing* and they're *beeping*. I can't stand it anymore! They're *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

The Joy is way too crafty to abandon her mission like that. She'll be a wildcard until the end no doubt, working from the inside and perhaps furthering the seeds of strife between the top command of the Soviets.

Can't wait to see Snake's reaction to the new weapons our time-travellers are carrying around... or to see him steal one of those rifles the Telsa Troopers carry.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Tesla troopers don't carry rifles. The Tesla coil is part of their armor. Snake would have to steal the full suit if he wanted to throw around lightning.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
holyknight
Youngling
Location: In a dark alley, slaying the Cultists of Wanknfiction

Post by holyknight »

Trogdor wrote:Tesla troopers don't carry rifles. The Tesla coil is part of their armor. Snake would have to steal the full suit if he wanted to throw around lightning.
Volgin+Tesla Tech=Oh My Fucking GOD!!! :shock: :!:
A devoted follower of the Chaos Goddess and her way.....

Buck Murdock: Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're *flashing* and they're *beeping*. I can't stand it anymore! They're *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Fianlly had a chance to read it through!

Loving it, of course 8) Every bit!
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Resuscitation or necromancy? Either way, it's back. Subsequent updates will be much larger. Writer's block = pwned. It only took for fucking ever and a day too, but I know where I'm going with it now. Sorry folks.

"I hope you'll forgive the rather uncoventional items on the menu this evening," Volgin growled disgustedly. "Due to the isolation and secrecy of this base, we have a very limited amount of foodstuffs to go around. We frequently have to supplement our diets with some of the local fare."

It was only half true. Russia was starving, to be sure. Khrushchev's agricultural policies had been an abject failure. The military always got first priority when it came to food, but even that wasn't always enough to go around. Some installations were frequently shortchanged, especially ones loyal to Breshnev that weren't supposed to exist. However, no one under Volgin's command went hungry. What the government couldn't (or wouldn't) provide, he purchased himself. Much of the food came from Japan, via North Korea and then China. The men absolutely loved the new health foods and instant noodles devised by the Oriental wizards. But Tselinoyarsk was a tropical rainforest at the lower altitudes, and had plenty food of its own to offer; provided you knew where to look. And after years of patrolling the jungle, the men knew where to look. That was what they fed the scientists, engineers, mechanics and... univited guests.

Telyanin poked with his fork at a grilled bat wing. No longer hungry, he had at least managed to sever the wing from the rest of the bat. If nothing else, he could claim that he touched his meal. The same could not be said for Zofia though, who merely stared at the fat frog she had been given. He couldn't remember the last time either of them had eaten, but whatever it was, it didn't look like she would be able to keep it down much longer. At first, he had suspected it to be some kind of prank, but Groznyj Grad's senior staff had all eaten the same thing. And they didn't show any hesitation.

"There's no need to apologize, Colonel," Telyanin murmured. "Again, your hospitality is much appreciated, especially on such short notice." He added, "If anything, I should be the one to apologize, for I must ask an additional favor of you."

"Whatever you need, sir. Provided that I have it."

Telyanin nodded to one of his engineers who, in turn, handed his clipboard to Volgin. "We need electrical power. Preferably direct current. As I mentioned earlier, our time machine's power reserves have been exhausted. As I understand it, we need at least fifteen hundred megajoules. That would be just enough to get us back to our time- and hopefully our world."

Volgin's eyes got wide, but they didn't leave the spec sheet in front of them. "Fifteen hundred megajoules?"

"Is that a problem?"

"I'll say it is. This fortress hasn't used that much power since its construction, and probably never will. Fifteen hundred megajoules is impossible, General."

"Colonel," Telyanin started, almost indulgently. "Megajoules, not gigajoules. That shouldn't strain your base's reactor at all."

"General," Volgin started, patience wavering. "We don't have any reactor!"

"Well, what do you have?"

"We have four diesel generators," Raikov stated.

"We... we are stuck here!" Zofia wailed, staring at her uneaten frog.

It was like some kind of science fiction story, and a bad one at that. Telyanin could scarcely believe it. Something during the chronoshift had gone terribly, terribly wrong. Now they were literally stranded in an alien world. A bizarre parallel universe where humanity was little more than primitive cavepeople. What did they have? If they were using diesel generators to power a base that large, they must not even have Tesla reactors. Did they have Tesla technology at all? If not, where did that colonel get his weird electrical powers? No military base should ever be without edible food. Soldiers of the People's Army should not have to scavenge in the jungle. Nothing in this new world made any sense at all. And his world, his home, was now doomed. Doomed to the absolute rule of the tyrant Yuri for all eternity. Kolenka had sent hundreds of loyal soldiers to their deaths. His orders had destroyed entire cities. He had eaten food covered in the radioactive ashes of innocent civilians. And never, not once had he wanted to cry like he did then. But he didn't. He just clenched his teeth and shuddered. Just like he always did. Times like these were when Zofia usually stepped in to help, but she was in a similar state.

"Comrades," Tatyana stood. "I think our new guests should be shown to their rooms. With your permission, Colonel?"

"Hrm... Yeah," Volgin agreed, still staring at the clipboard. "I think you've had enough excitement for one day, sir. All things considered." He waved a hand at Tatyana, "Make it happen."

Tatyana bowed and led the alien entourage out of dining hall. As soon as they were gone, Ocelot leaned in close to Volgin to glance at the clipboard. "What do make of all this, Colonel?"

Volgin held up a hand to silence him. He was still engrossed in the specifications Telyanin had given him. On the first page were the rough schematics of their "time machine" with the power requirements scribbled in the margins. But the other pages contained nuggets of information on virtually everything else they brought with them. It was all new to him. Their weapons, their vehicles, floorplans for prefabricated buildings... It was all beyond anything he had ever seen. And their capabilities; the figures had to be nonsense or code in order to stymie NATO espionage. They were literally impossible. The so-called Apocalypse Assault Tank could easily defeat the Shagohod. Finished reading, Volgin tossed the clipboard on the table, crossing his arms in front of him.

"Colonel?" This time it was The Boss.

After a long silence, Volgin simply stated. "This changes everything."

Ocelot: "Sir?"

"Get Sokolov. Find Granin. Bring them both here."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

If not, where did that colonel get his weird electrical powers?
That is a very good question.

And you updated. You updated!
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Updates are goood, very good! But I wanna know what Snake's upto!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

My god, that was surreal! I especially loved how they were eating slugs and sandworms.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Forgive me for my ignorance of C&C, but does this Apocapylse tank have long range nuclear missiles? Even if it could wipe the floor with Shagohod in close combat this in no way negates the Shagohod's primary function, which was to able to launch nukes from anywhere in russia to any where in the USA.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Crazedwraith wrote:Forgive me for my ignorance of C&C, but does this Apocapylse tank have long range nuclear missiles? Even if it could wipe the floor with Shagohod in close combat this in no way negates the Shagohod's primary function, which was to able to launch nukes from anywhere in russia to any where in the USA.
Yeah, it's the tank's performance in the tactical realm I was referring to. The Apocalypse doesn't have any strategic capabilities, nuclear or otherwise.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It DOES have missile-interception technology, if I remember correctly.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

In-game it could hit aircraft and larger missiles like V3s or a dreadnought's missiles, but that was about it. Also superweapons being superweapons it couldn't stop a nuke.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The real question is: Could it be taken out by a solider with an RPG assisted by a blonde chinese chick on a german motorcycle?
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Holy shit, it lives! :D

Heh, guess Snake's not the only one in the area eating crazy shit. And here I'd always thought that the guards were real dicks for giving Snake a bat when he got captured. :)
Crazedwraith wrote:The real question is: Could it be taken out by a solider with an RPG assisted by a blonde chinese chick on a german motorcycle?
Any self respecting apoc tank driver would make them both go squish. 8)