NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Master of Ossus wrote:GOD DAMN IT!

Scott Hartnell just kneed Jonathan Cheechoo out of the playoffs. I think the Sharks just lost their chance at the cup.

BTW, Archon, Hannan completely shut down Forsberg in our series against Colorado, where he had a better supporting cast. I don't think he's going to be a big factor, here. Also, the Sharks are dominating this game so far, and if it hadn't been for that knee-on-knee hit then we'd be killing them.
I forgot about that completely. My bad. Although my comparison was supposed to be between Thornton and Forsberg and Forsberg does have a better record in the playoffs. I am cheering for the Sharks in that series. I despise Nashville. They are one of the dirtiest teams in the NHL IMO. Big cheers in my house when San Jose scores.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I want to shoot the Nashville announcers. They've been on the referees all day, in a game when I don't think they've missed a penalty, yet. They also had this RIDICULOUS piece after Tootoo picked up a clear boarding penalty, when they showed Joe Thornton taking out Matt Cooke and said that you get different referees on different days, and that the Thornton one wasn't called for a penalty even though it was much more dangerous. Only a couple problems with that announcing:
1. Thornton hit Cooke from in front of him, and Tootoo's hit was from behind.
2. Thornton WAS called for a penalty on that one, even though I don't think he should've been!
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Master of Ossus wrote:I want to shoot the Nashville announcers. They've been on the referees all day, in a game when I don't think they've missed a penalty, yet. They also had this RIDICULOUS piece after Tootoo picked up a clear boarding penalty, when they showed Joe Thornton taking out Matt Cooke and said that you get different referees on different days, and that the Thornton one wasn't called for a penalty even though it was much more dangerous. Only a couple problems with that announcing:
1. Thornton hit Cooke from in front of him, and Tootoo's hit was from behind.
2. Thornton WAS called for a penalty on that one, even though I don't think he should've been!
That is why I am listening to the Sharks NHL.com feed right now. The Nashville crews of all stripes are some of the worst homers I have ever experienced.
In Omnia Paratus.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Should be interesting to hear what Don Cherry has to say about this on Coach's Corner tomorrow. I predict a big rant since Thornton & Cheechoo are both Canadians.

On a somewhat related note, I read the following in The Hockey News a little while back. If Julie Chiu of the US Women's Hockey team married Jonathan Cheechoo, and chose to use a hyphenated name, she'd then be Julie Chiu-Cheechoo. Try saying that 3 times fast.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

A photo of the Hartnell/Cheechoo knee on knee.

It seems to me he is sticking his knee out. Although the videos of said hit would seem to indicate there was no intent.

Comments?
In Omnia Paratus.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

And thus the first day of the 2006-2007 Stanley Cup playoffs ended.
In Omnia Paratus.
The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude »

I was lucky I decided to bail on the Canucks game at the end of regulation. Watching west coast games from the eastern time zone blows.

Still, awesome game. It's not often you see a goalie give up 4 goals in a game and end up with a .947 SV% and a 1.74 GAA.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Archon wrote:A photo of the Hartnell/Cheechoo knee on knee.

It seems to me he is sticking his knee out. Although the videos of said hit would seem to indicate there was no intent.

Comments?
His elbow knocked one of Cheechoo's teeth out, too. From the side-angle, I think it's pretty clear that he stuck his knee out two strides from Cheechoo, and that after Cheechoo beat him he just decided to injure him. I'll be interested to see what the League does, since that was Hartnell's second gamer in three appearances.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

MoO, thought you might be interested in THIS article.

Source: TSN
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Boy that Ducks game was intense. I was on the edge of my damn seat the whole time and I don't think any of the other regulars up in my corner of the Pond have ever jumped up and down so much over a goal this season. Absolutely freakin' awesome. Nucks and Stars were tied last time I saw the score and I thought ours was going to be the closest game of the night, but five overtimes is just nuts. They've already played close to three games already and only get credit for one.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Archon wrote:MoO, thought you might be interested in THIS article.

Source: TSN
Thanks, Archon. I sure hope that's not just window-dressing. At least they're making it sound like he'll be back if we get past the Preds.

muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

What the hell? Why did they sing both the Canadian and US national anthems for the NYI/Buffalo game? :?
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

RE: Flames game.

Brutal. I am embarrassed.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

muse wrote:What the hell? Why did they sing both the Canadian and US national anthems for the NYI/Buffalo game? :?
Operation Canadian Bacon is successful? The death of John Candy left Buffalo unprotected. Or it could be because Buffalo is that close to the border and probably saw many fans drive across the border to get to the game?

Addendum:

Archon, don't be embarrassed just yet. Red Wings won the first against the Soilers last year and it didn't turn out very well for them. Although what I think happened is that the Red Wings ate a an Edmonton area restauraunt prior when the series shifted and were unable to cope with the unfiltered Edmonton toxins tainting the food and water.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
muse wrote:What the hell? Why did they sing both the Canadian and US national anthems for the NYI/Buffalo game? :?
Operation Canadian Bacon is successful? The death of John Candy left Buffalo unprotected. Or it could be because Buffalo is that close to the border and probably saw many fans drive across the border to get to the game?

Addendum:

Archon, don't be embarrassed just yet. Red Wings won the first against the Soilers last year and it didn't turn out very well for them. Although what I think happened is that the Red Wings ate a an Edmonton area restauraunt prior when the series shifted and were unable to cope with the unfiltered Edmonton toxins tainting the food and water.
Unfortunately, Calgary is a toxin free zone.

Nevertheless, I am not overly concerned about losing the first game. The way they lost it was the disturbing part.
In Omnia Paratus.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It doesn't matter if they lose the first game, right? The sports page wasn't clear on that...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

RogueIce wrote:It doesn't matter if they lose the first game, right? The sports page wasn't clear on that...
The Lightning have to lose 3 more games to be out.

It is a seven game series.

Like NBA Basketball or the LCS or World Series in MLB.
In Omnia Paratus.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Archon wrote:
RogueIce wrote:It doesn't matter if they lose the first game, right? The sports page wasn't clear on that...

How'd you know I was asking for the Lightning? :D

Anyway, that's good news. If they can win the Cup again, they'd be the most successful team from Tampa Bay with two championships under their belt.

Well, except for the Tampa Bay Storm (our Arena Football team), but nobody really seems to care about them for whatever reason.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

RogueIce wrote:
Archon wrote:

How'd you know I was asking for the Lightning? :D

Anyway, that's good news. If they can win the Cup again, they'd be the most successful team from Tampa Bay with two championships under their belt.

Well, except for the Tampa Bay Storm (our Arena Football team), but nobody really seems to care about them for whatever reason.
I have the ability to discover team loyalties by looking at the location of the poster.

I am also a Psionic Entity.
*see who gets that reference...
In Omnia Paratus.
General Trelane (Retired)
Jedi Knight

Post by General Trelane (Retired) »

Archon wrote:RE: Flames game.

Brutal. I am embarrassed.

Nice to see! But the Flames should be more embarrassed.

Darth Fanboy wrote:Archon, don't be embarrassed just yet. Red Wings won the first against the Soilers last year and it didn't turn out very well for them. Although what I think happened is that the Red Wings ate a an Edmonton area restauraunt prior when the series shifted and were unable to cope with the unfiltered Edmonton toxins tainting the food and water.
Those toxins aren't tainting anything; they're flavouring the food and water! Considering that Iggy grew up around Edmonton, he presumeably has a built-up immunity, so Calgary should get with the program and start flavouring their food and water too. . .

When Calgary had their amazing cup run before the lock-out, I cheered for them whole-heartedly. Not this year. Go Wings!
Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Those toxins aren't tainting anything; they're flavouring the food and water! Considering that Iggy grew up around Edmonton, he presumeably has a built-up immunity, so Calgary should get with the program and start flavouring their food and water too. . .
That would explain why Jarome Iginla is ass ugly, even for an Albertan.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:

That would explain why Jarome Iginla is ass ugly, even for an Albertan.
Have you ever seen the separated at birth comparison between Iginla and a Beluga Whale?

That was one of the staples of Canucks.com when I posted there. Bloody hilarious.
In Omnia Paratus.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

And another cheapshot from behind by the Preds putting another Sharks player on the disabled list. At this rate there won't be any San Jose players left by the end of the series.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Fuck the Preds! This after they took a run at Thornton last year in the playoffs. The League needs to look into these dirty tactics.

And they're also killing us in the game.

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

I will say it for the last time: fuck Allegiance Communications, fuck ESPN and fuck every other contrivance that prevents me from seeing more than a handful of hockey games all season and likely to continue into this post season.

FUCK my ISP. FUCK Kansas and above all FUCK ESPN for not carrying the games cause they ditched the NHL-'sinking-ship' cause of one strike. :evil: :roll: :finger: :kill: