Star Wars>Star Trek

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

The Computer Wizard
Redshirt

Star Wars>Star Trek

Post by The Computer Wizard »

This idea may have been mentioned before, but I don't know so I will say it. While I prefer Star Wars over Star Trek, and realize that Star Wars ships would own ships from Star Trek, I also would like to point out the following tidbt.

In the Star Wars Era, the Old republic is at least a thousand years old. Many many more previous empires with decent technology ran before that. My observation is that while technology is improving is SW, it is improving veeeeeeerrrrryyyy sloooowwwlly. Pit the Emps vs the GA, and the emps probably would win. You may be wondering what my point is. Well here it is.
In Star Trek, Technology is exponentially increasing far faster than in star wars, to the point of there even *being* a debate on Star Wars vs Star Trek. True, the enterprise-D would get crushed by a ssd, but the enterprise-J? The Enterprise-J was rumored in a book to travel at speeds that would make the fastest SW ship look like a snail. Before you hit me on the origin of that quote, its being cannon or not, that is not the point. My point is that mankind went from bows and arrows to phasers and quantum torps in star trek in a thousand years, from horse drawn buggies to far faster than light speed. Give Star Trek a progression of a thousand years. See what happens. Maybe nothing. Who knows? Dont get on and say, "SW will always beat ST." whop-de-do. I want clear explanations please.
Q vs. the jedi order and the sith.
you vs a cockroach
case-in-point
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

I hope you've got something flameproof by the way.

In the mean time, Mike does have a section of his site that answers this issue: click here.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

The Computer Wizard wrote:Give Star Trek a progression of a thousand years. See what happens. Maybe nothing. Who knows? Dont get on and say, "SW will always beat ST." whop-de-do. I want clear explanations please
How do I respond, this point has been said on the main site, which is my only experience with ST, under Trekkie arguments, as such if you read this sd.net page that deals with it I have nothing, but if you haven't, read it so you don't do the other arguments. Then you leave my league and you go to the big leagues not the minors.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Re: Star Wars>Star Trek

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

The Computer Wizard wrote:Give Star Trek a progression of a thousand years. See what happens.
Why? Star Trek takes place in the future and Star Wars in the distant past, if anyone should get extra time it's Star Wars.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Post by Vyraeth »

Not to throw the thread entirely off topic, but aren't you the same guy who sent Wong an e-mail arguing in favor of creationism?

It's purely an anecdotal observation on my part, but there seems to be a heavy correlation between people arguing in favor of Star Trek's technological superiority and a belief in creationism...
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Firstly, the Old Republic is atleast several thousand years old. Like, twenty something. Their method of FTL travel can cross the Galaxy in mere days. DAYS. Voyager has to settle for years and years, and even then, they only managed due to 1. Sustainable Speed of Warp 9.9 that didn't "damage subspace", something other Starships did not have until then, and 2. Deus Ex Machina and Borg Tech.

Sure, the Tech in Trek has improved a lot over a few centuries. So what?It seems more like a growth spurt to me, than an actual sustained rate of improvement. I believe it was indicated somewhere in the EU (Although I could not tell you where, making my argument about as solid as yours)that the Star Wars galaxy went through a similar growth spurt about 20-30,000 years ago.

Also, there is a notable difference in technology between Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic and the Phantom Menace, that's a four-thousand year gap. The ships in KoTOR are significantly smaller in scale. Weapons technology also is visibly less powerful on their capital ships in KoTOR than in the movies. And yet, their firepower is still orders of magnitude greater than those in Star Trek. 4000 years in their past. In the movies, their firepower is enough that ISD's can reduce the surface of an entire planet to waste in a very short amount of time.

I doubt that the Federation would ever be able to upscale their technology fast enough to defeat the Tech used by the Old Republic or the Galactic Empire. Though Star Wars tech may be evolving at a slower rate than the tech in Star Trek (And there's no solid proof that it is. With Tech as advanced as that in Star Wars, improvements are difficult to see. Things go from "awesomely good", to "a little bit better" every now and then), they're still several millennia ahead of them.

And also, read the main page more.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Welcome to stardestroyer.net. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
And way to start your forum presence, hotshot.
The Computer Wizard wrote:This idea may have been mentioned before, but I don't know so I will say it. While I prefer Star Wars over Star Trek, and realize that Star Wars ships would own ships from Star Trek, I also would like to point out the following tidbt.
SNIP for length
You may be wondering what my point is. Well here it is.
In Star Trek, Technology is exponentially increasing far faster than in star wars,
As evidenced by what? Your say so? Technology has ALSO been mostly static from the 22nd to the 24th century in Trek.
to the point of there even *being* a debate on Star Wars vs Star Trek. True, the enterprise-D would get crushed by a ssd, but the enterprise-J? The Enterprise-J was rumored in a book to travel at speeds that would make the fastest SW ship look like a snail. Before you hit me on the origin of that quote, its being cannon or not, that is not the point.
Yes it is. I can write a story about Star Wars hand weapons obliterating entire universes. That makes it neither official nor means it is in any way shape or form a believable interpretation of what would really happen in the Star Wars universe.
My point is that mankind went from bows and arrows to phasers and quantum torps in star trek in a thousand years, from horse drawn buggies to far faster than light speed.
Thanks to getting most of it post the atomic era gift-wrapped via the Vulcans and other technologically advanced species that had ALREADY had it for a considerable time. Mankind did most emphatically NOT develop that technology. They merely seem to be able to make better use of its capacities. And once mankind HAD that technology they didn't exactly take it and run away with it in a fresh new direction, did they? What improvements were made over the centuries were pretty gradual.
In the 24th century they still use Warp, impulse drives, photorps, phasers, transporters... Where's that exponential technological development of yours?
Give Star Trek a progression of a thousand years. See what happens.
Given that there hasn't BEEN much in the way of technological progression even with the Federation from the 22nd to the 24th century, I predict 'nothing much'. And if anything the Feds seem to be among the more progressive races in the AQ. Everybody else seems to just rest on their laurels and if at all develop their technology at the same snail's pace the Wars galaxy does (which may simply be due to the fact that there is nothing left to do, has that ever occurred to you?)
Maybe nothing. Who knows? Dont get on and say, "SW will always beat ST." whop-de-do. I want clear explanations please.
Bold words from someone who starts from a faulty premise and uses a completely irrelevant (leave alone quantified or sourced) example of a situation where Trek tech might hypothetically be superior to Wars...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Sure, the Tech in Trek has improved a lot over a few centuries. So what?It seems more like a growth spurt to me, than an actual sustained rate of improvement. I believe it was indicated somewhere in the EU (Although I could not tell you where, making my argument about as solid as yours)that the Star Wars galaxy went through a similar growth spurt about 20-30,000 years ago.
What I think you are refering to is the Rakata's Force based tech being addapted by the Duros and the Corellians into the normal Hyperdrive. I only remeber reading it in Wookiepedia.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

1. You ASSUME the advancement between now and 24th century Earth was due to human research rather than the other civilizations that already had all that stuff (warp drive, etc) showing them how its done.
  2. Everytime we actually see a new piece of tech in Trek, it turns out to be a one-episode-wonder and either has a nasty unforseen side effect, is declared sentient, just doesn't work, etc.
  3. The series Enterprise was shown to be nothing more than one of Riker's holodeck fantasies and the E-J would be part of that fantasy.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Darth Servo wrote:The series Enterprise was shown to be nothing more than one of Riker's holodeck fantasies and the E-J would be part of that fantasy.
Is there any actual proof of this? I mean, yes, the final episode of Enterprise was just a holodeck fantasy (although I got the impression it was "based on historical events"), but has it ever been officially stated or proven anywhere that the whole show was?

Also, I didn't think the E-J looked to be particularly impressive anyway.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote: Also, I didn't think the E-J looked to be particularly impressive anyway.
The term you're looking for is 'hideously ugly'. :wink:
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Batman wrote:
SilverWingedSeraph wrote: Also, I didn't think the E-J looked to be particularly impressive anyway.
You're right, that's the exact term I was looking for. Thanks for the correction. I keep forgeting that I don't need to be all fake-polite and censor my opinions here.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:
Darth Servo wrote:The series Enterprise was shown to be nothing more than one of Riker's holodeck fantasies and the E-J would be part of that fantasy.
Is there any actual proof of this? I mean, yes, the final episode of Enterprise was just a holodeck fantasy (although I got the impression it was "based on historical events"), but has it ever been officially stated or proven anywhere that the whole show was?
The fact that pretty much the whole show took a massive dump on TOS continuity. The fact that we never hear anything about the uber-wank Xindi anywhere else in Trek. Its like they just disappeared!!! Could it be they never existed in the first place and were all just...

...a fantasy?
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:
Batman wrote:
You're right, that's the exact term I was looking for. Thanks for the correction. I keep forgeting that I don't need to be all fake-polite and censor my opinions here.
You know what? FUCK YOU, CUNT STAIN! You see, I can be uncivil enough for the both of us!
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
The Computer Wizard
Redshirt

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Firstly, the Old Republic is atleast several thousand years old. Like, twenty something. Their method of FTL travel can cross the Galaxy in mere days. DAYS. Voyager has to settle for years and years, and even then, they only managed due to 1. Sustainable Speed of Warp 9.9 that didn't "damage subspace", something other Starships did not have until then, and 2. Deus Ex Machina and Borg Tech.

Sure, the Tech in Trek has improved a lot over a few centuries. So what?It seems more like a growth spurt to me, than an actual sustained rate of improvement. I believe it was indicated somewhere in the EU (Although I could not tell you where, making my argument about as solid as yours)that the Star Wars galaxy went through a similar growth spurt about 20-30,000 years ago.

Also, there is a notable difference in technology between Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic and the Phantom Menace, that's a four-thousand year gap. The ships in KoTOR are significantly smaller in scale. Weapons technology also is visibly less powerful on their capital ships in KoTOR than in the movies. And yet, their firepower is still orders of magnitude greater than those in Star Trek. 4000 years in their past. In the movies, their firepower is enough that ISD's can reduce the surface of an entire planet to waste in a very short amount of time.

I doubt that the Federation would ever be able to upscale their technology fast enough to defeat the Tech used by the Old Republic or the Galactic Empire. Though Star Wars tech may be evolving at a slower rate than the tech in Star Trek (And there's no solid proof that it is. With Tech as advanced as that in Star Wars, improvements are difficult to see. Things go from "awesomely good", to "a little bit better" every now and then), they're still several millennia ahead of them.

And also, read the main page more.
ill see what I can do, and thanks for a thought out reply :) , and yes to the previous person, I am a Creationist/Christian, but I did not come here to argue creationism beacuse nobody would want to listen.
Wise me don't need it, and fools won't heed it. -My dad
you vs a cockroach
case-in-point
The Computer Wizard
Redshirt

Wise me(N) don't need it, and fools won't heed it. -My dad[/quote]

Wise men, my bad. I am not that wise yet.
you vs a cockroach
case-in-point
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

What you've got to realize is that while technological growth may seem exponential in the short-term, there's no reason to think that it will continue that way in the long run. For example, Star Wars has been in technological stasis for thousands of years.
The Computer Wizard wrote:I am a Creationist/Christian, but I did not come here to argue creationism beacuse nobody would want to listen.
Wise me don't need it, and fools won't heed it. -My dad
It's interesting how you can suddenly read the minds of three thousand people spread across the world, to be able to declare that "nobody would want to listen". As for the pithy quote, it's cutesy, but contains no substance.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The Computer Wizard
Redshirt

Darth Servo wrote:
  1. You ASSUME the advancement between now and 24th century Earth was due to human research rather than the other civilizations that already had all that stuff (warp drive, etc) showing them how its done.
    me: unfortunately yes, but then, the Prime Directive worked both ways, because theoratically, Kirk could go 20,000 years into the future and steal a super ship, bring it back, and play with it. (stupid example)
  2. Everytime we actually see a new piece of tech in Trek, it turns out to be a one-episode-wonder and either has a nasty unforseen side effect, is declared sentient, just doesn't work, etc.
    Me: true, its just a cryin' shame Picard gave the metaphasic cloak back to the romulans, and all the super stuff they get either blows up, or gets returned or never used again.
  3. The series Enterprise was shown to be nothing more than one of Riker's holodeck fantasies and the E-J would be part of that fantasy.
me: hats not the Enterprise bit I was referring to, you misunderstood me; i was referring to a book, in which there is a line that says somthing like: "
The Enterprise-J slowed in the expase BETWEEN the galaxies, slowed to warp speed, a relativy crawl, then to impulse, then stopped." Thus indicating that trans-galactic travel has taken place. And I never intended for yall to start arguing about the E-J, that was just a example. I might try to obtain the exact quote. Now as for ST books being un-cannon, I don't give a rip. They are canon to me. If SW books are cannon, ST books should be too :)
you vs a cockroach
case-in-point
The Computer Wizard
Redshirt

It's interesting how you can suddenly read the minds of three thousand people spread across the world, to be able to declare that "nobody would want to listen".substance.[/quote]

Like I said, I am not going to argue something that you are not going to listen to. I have seen what you do to creationists here. You belitte them, mock them, and are extremely rude. Why on earth would I want to set myself up for that for no reason? I could go to my creationist friends and even if I got solid proof for creationism, I doubt you would pay attention to it. You tell me why I should bother, and I might.

The reason why I quoted that was because the Bible verse that it comes from packs a heck of punch.
you vs a cockroach
case-in-point
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Now as for ST books being un-cannon, I don't give a rip. They are canon to me. If SW books are cannon, ST books should be too Smile
Do yourself a favor and read the fucking website before assuming that your brilliant arguments haven't been dealt with a thousand times before.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

I have seen what you do to creationists here. You belitte them, mock them, and are extremely rude.
Only some of the folks here - I try not to myself, so feel free to PM if you want a polite discussion :) . I can't claim to have the debating skills of some of the guys here but hey.
even if I got solid proof for creationism, I doubt you would pay attention to it
On the contrary - the problem of course is getting the solid proof ;) . If you could provide it you'd make believers out of a lotta people here, precisely because most of the people here understand the idea of discarding a theory if a better one emerges.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

I could go to my creationist friends and even if I got solid proof for creationism, I doubt you would pay attention to it.
The fact is you presume such solid proof exists. It doesn't which is why we are not creationists.

If you did have solid proof then we would. We'd have to, as scientifically minded individuals. We have no other basis to judge reality unlike a religous person.

More on topic I want to ask you why you think that the Star Wars Universe can not continue to advance it's technology. They had science divisions in the Imperium, and they were funded and paid well. If they had not made advances in thousands of years as you claim then nobody would bother to fund research - it would be pointless.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The Computer Wizard wrote: i was referring to a book, in which there is a line that says somthing like: "
The Enterprise-J slowed in the expase BETWEEN the galaxies, slowed to warp speed, a relativy crawl, then to impulse, then stopped." Thus indicating that trans-galactic travel has taken place.
At completely undefined speeds except that they're significantly faster than Warp. That doesn't even require them to match Wars stardrive speeds, leave alone exceed them to the point that Wars ships would look like a snail by comparison.
And I never intended for yall to start arguing about the E-J, that was just a example.
A completely useless one what with it being not canon and undefined like nobody's business.
I might try to obtain the exact quote. Now as for ST books being un-cannon, I don't give a rip. They are canon to me.
And my fanfic with the universe-destroying handguns is canon to me. Shall we see how trek 1000 years down the line compares to that?
If SW books are cannon, ST books should be too :)
Take it up with Paramount. The OFFICIAL canon policy (what there is of it) says they ain't.
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Like I said, I am not going to argue something that you are not going to listen to.
So you send a Pro-Creationist email to Mike about it but don't want to argue your point? Have you actually read any posts around here?
I have seen what you do to creationists here. You belitte them, mock them, and are extremely rude.
It's basically the same treatment for anyone who spouts a load of shit around here and can't back it up. Creationists are treated no different than anyone else.
Why on earth would I want to set myself up for that for no reason?
Good question, answer it.
The Enterprise-J slowed in the expase BETWEEN the galaxies, slowed to warp speed, a relativy crawl, then to impulse, then stopped." Thus indicating that trans-galactic travel has taken place. And I never intended for yall to start arguing about the E-J, that was just a example. I might try to obtain the exact quote. Now as for ST books being un-cannon, I don't give a rip. They are canon to me. If SW books are cannon, ST books should be too
Well people here do 'give a rip' about what is canon here and what is not. If you can't abide by that then turn your happy ass around and walk away. Dropping these massive claims about what this ship can do with no canon evidence to back it up is a waste of our time.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

The Computer Wizard wrote:My point is that mankind went from bows and arrows to phasers and quantum torps in star trek in a thousand years, from horse drawn buggies to far faster than light speed.
Over the course of about ten-thousand years, humanity (in the Star Trek universe) managed to go from bows and arrows to a working warp drive capable of achieving lightspeed.

From there, humanity has made very little progress. Phasers, photon torpodoes, transporters, and assorted other "treknology" already existed in the galaxy, and humanity acquired it primarily via trade with other races, especially the Vulcans.

To put it bluntly, since making contact with the Vulcans, humanity has made startlingly little technological progress of their own. They have acquired an assortment of technology from other races around the galaxy, but they have hardly invented anything.

That being the case, the prediction that a Federation starship built five "generations" after the Enterprise-E would easily defeat an Imperial Star Destroyer is dubious at best.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"