The Big One

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

TBO question. What happens to africa in TBO, According to interstellar higway its burned out with blackpox, but Rise of the valkires makes no mention of this?
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Redleader34 wrote:TBO question. What happens to africa in TBO, According to interstellar higway its burned out with blackpox, but Rise of the valkires makes no mention of this?
Ride of the Valkyries is the story of the FIRST biowar. The second comes in the second half of the 21st century, and is chronicled in 'Sceptered Isle'.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Image Image
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

And a new story starts - Winter Warriors One
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Well, I have read TBO paperback version, and my underlying feeling about the whole thing is "meh". It didn't feel as easy to read as other books I've read, and the excessive use of "!" and "?" following surprised statements gave it a very run-of-the-mill fanfic feel.

Sorry folks. I feel as if there are better fanfics out there then the one that got published.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Lonestar wrote: and the excessive use of "!"
There are, in fact, 19 "!" in the text, of which 5 are in two historical documents so you can blame Dwight D Eisenhower and Winston S Churchill for those. Excluding them, 14 "!" in a 264 page book hardly seems excessive.

The Big One isn't fan fiction; its an original work.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Stuart wrote:
Lonestar wrote: and the excessive use of "!"
There are, in fact, 19 "!" in the text, of which 5 are in two historical documents so you can blame Dwight D Eisenhower and Winston S Churchill for those. Excluding them, 14 "!" in a 264 page book hardly seems excessive.

You're never going to make everyone happy, Stuart.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: You're never going to make everyone happy, Stuart.
I know, Your Grace, but I do like to try. (there isn't an emoticon for a sad smile).

Anvil of Necessity is coming out in dead tree edition quite soon (it's running about a month late). Winter Warriors is well under way now; Stas Bush has been very helpful indeed with that one (tip of the hat to a new contributor to the team).

A quick question - how many people here can't access the stories on HPCA? If its a large number, we'll have to make another arrangement for you.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I don't see any reason why anyone would be unable to read HPCA, except that the default font color/background color there isn't as nice as it could be. The TBO fiction library and factfiles are both open to visitors.

The only real strike would be the disorganised list of links here(which needs to be updated) but with the TBO board containing it's own link library, that's not a real excuse.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Stuart wrote:
A quick question - how many people here can't access the stories on HPCA? If its a large number, we'll have to make another arrangement for you.
I suspect most people can. Heck, I can. I just got rid of my EZBoard account entirely. Of course I also changed internet providers for unrelated reasons about a month ago.

Incidentally, now that I have your attention, there's one subject I think I can convince you that you're wrong on.

www.unitedrail.org -- Read through their economic analysis of Amtrak. Long-distance trains do make the money for Amtrak. Which makes sense, really. High-speed trains compete with airplanes--badly; regular trains compete with cars and buses.

I'm sorry about Chris Purnell and Eddie leaving; I assure you that was because I don't control them, not the other way around.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stuart wrote:
I'm at work, so I don't have it in front of me, but I distinctly recall ye olde "WHAAAATTTT??????" a couple of times, for some reason it hacked me off.

And to expand on "run-of the mill"....it feels Clancyesque to me.
Apologies, it was early and I was posting in the Fanfic forum, hence my "fanfic" comment. *thumps forehead*
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Lonestar wrote: for some reason it hacked me off.
No problem; everybody's taste differs. One of teh things I was trying to achieve in this was to get over people attempting to grapple with a situation they didn't understand and mentally running through the options available.
it feels Clancyesque to me.
Smile when you say that stranger :) I loathe Tom Clancy's work; as a weapons technocrat I see all the things he does wrong - and his politics get right up my nose.
Apologies, it was early and I was posting in the Fanfic forum, hence my "fanfic" comment. *thumps forehead*
Again, no problem. Perhaps you'll find the next one more to your taste. I promise I'll check for excessive ?s and !s.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Heh... I guess I can introduce myself here now. A humble advisor to sir Stuart on some Russian stuff for Winter Warriors; my alter ego is you-know-who, thanks to Stuart :)
Stuart wrote:I loathe Tom Clancy's work; as a weapons technocrat I see all the things he does wrong - and his politics get right up my nose
Nothing is better than meeting a fellow Clancy hater. The guy's perception of politics and military operations is making you either cry or laugh (or both) with every new page of his books.

P.S. Do Americans really call "Arkhangelsk" Archangel? :?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Yes, we do. We also call the colony 'New Archangel'. Neener neener.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I find Clancy annoyingly inaccurate, but he's a rather fun thrill reader, makes plane flights go by rather quickly.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Lonestar wrote:I distinctly recall ye olde "WHAAAATTTT??????" a couple of times, for some reason it hacked me off.
I ran a recheck. There are no "WHAAAATTTT??????" at all. There is a single THAT??????? when a ship exploded under somebody's feet which is hardly excessive use.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Stas Bush wrote:Do Americans really call "Arkhangelsk" Archangel? :?
I'm afraid so, or, rather, the British do and the Americans picked it up. The British were very bad at renaming other people's cities; for example Livorno became Leghorn, Kolkata became Calcutta and Mumbai became Bombay. Then, they get upset when the owners try and change them back to the original.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The British were very bad at renaming other people's cities; for example Livorno became Leghorn, Kolkata became Calcutta and Mumbai became Bombay.
Oh, yess... :) PMed about the 6th part. Hope you find my comments of some use. :)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali