Dr Who Episode 2904 Daleks in Manhatten (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate the episode!

28%
41%
24%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 29

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Dr Who Episode 2904 Daleks in Manhatten (spoilers)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Note its starts at 6:35pm.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Going in a different direction with the DALEKs this time. I like this.
As I thought, all four had Temperal shift devices.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmm. Easn't the Emperor Dalek in Eccleston's finale creating Daleks from humans? The people who lost games and were 'vapourised.' The humaniond Dalek is a nifty idea but I could help thinking of the Daleks from the Red Dwarf A-Z when they were arguing. I'm thinking Humaniod Sec will eventually be exterminated by his more conventional comrades.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Possible. Mind you, without the means to build any kind of dalek shell in the near future, humanoid daleks are probably a good transitionary measure.

Some nice firepower in the preview for next week, too.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
petesampras
Jedi Knight

Post by petesampras »

Humanoid Daleks are just like any other monster. I'd rather see the Daleks permanently wiped out in this story than continue as humanoid creatures. I also fail to see why the Daleks need humanoid form. They conquered a universe and went toe-to-toe with the timelords with their non-humanoid form, fail to see what they need humanoid bodies for.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I wonder what the Empire State is going to be used for in the Dalek plan? The Dalek emerging from the art deco elevator was an excellent money shot, but as gross as the pigmen were I thought Robomen would've been more appropriate as the brainless Dalek minions converted from hapless human prisoners (they could've even been armed with drum barrelled Thompson SMGs).

And I'm not so sure about the Cult of Skaro lacking Dalek hardware or materials, since the Empire State's basement was starting to resemble the interior of a Dalek saucer with the hexagonal lighting emplacements and big computer terminals.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

petesampras wrote:Humanoid Daleks are just like any other monster. I'd rather see the Daleks permanently wiped out in this story than continue as humanoid creatures.
What makes you think that is going to be the ending?
I also fail to see why the Daleks need humanoid form. They conquered a universe and went toe-to-toe with the timelords with their non-humanoid form, fail to see what they need humanoid bodies for.
Their time drives appear to be short ranged.

They also appear to be trapped on Earth of 1930 with limited resources. Presumably it's easier for them to do some genetic engineering and freaky head transplants, than it is to build up the industry and lines of supply necessery to produce more dalek casings.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Big Orange wrote:I wonder what the Empire State is going to be used for in the Dalek plan? The Dalek emerging from the art deco elevator was an excellent money shot, but as gross as the pigmen were I thought Robomen would've been more appropriate as the brainless Dalek minions converted from hapless human prisoners (they could've even been armed with drum barrelled Thompson SMGs).
Did you watch the preview?
And I'm not so sure about the Cult of Skaro lacking Dalek hardware or materials, since the Empire State's basement was starting to resemble the interior of a Dalek saucer with the hexagonal lighting emplacements and big computer terminals.
And open flames and pigmen servants. They had some hexagonal lights and display screens (which seemed to be CRT, rather than the holographic displays they've used before), but that's very limited compared to building millions of dalek casings.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Not to mention the casings mean very little to them since their are no DALKEKS to put in them. It's clear they intend to transform the intelligent humans into the new form of themselves then they can create new machinery, armour and weapons for themselves and not have to rely on slaves to such a high degree or the cases who's primary purpose is really to carry them around
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I expect, if they overran the earth with daleks, that they'd eventually go back into casings, anyway. Aestetics, protection, facilities, and so on.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

More likely a form of power armour so they get the protection of the casings but still have the manuverability and dexterity of their huminoid bodies.

Ivanova is always right.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Lost Soal wrote:More likely a form of power armour so they get the protection of the casings but still have the manuverability and dexterity of their huminoid bodies.
Extra moving parts = breakdowns. A dalek casing would, pound for pound, outpreform a power suit in every way, provided they could fly.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

I feel there were so many brainbugs in this episode that it made me want to bang my head against a wall.

1. Why don't the Daleks conquer Earth? Or a small area of it? Why go to the trouble of keeping underground? I can see it might be slightly more cost effective to not take on the entire human race but if they're on a time scale then in the last few days why can't they just go around New York and force workers to come to them?

2. Why in bollocks would the Daleks want to cross breed with humans in that way? Why? Why oh Lord? Can they seriously not REMEMBER how to make new Daleks?

3. Surely Daleks would not that wasn't what evolution was? Maybe I'm being a little to pernickity but "evolve" is such a silly term for what they're doing surely?
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Ghetto Edit:

My friend did come up with the best alternate name for the episode though:

"Sec's in the City."

:wink:
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Guid wrote:I feel there were so many brainbugs in this episode that it made me want to bang my head against a wall.

1. Why don't the Daleks conquer Earth? Or a small area of it? Why go to the trouble of keeping underground? I can see it might be slightly more cost effective to not take on the entire human race but if they're on a time scale then in the last few days why can't they just go around New York and force workers to come to them?
It's 1930. How would the denizens of Earth react to knowing about aliens turning people into pigmen? So what if humans couldn't hurt them. If the humans just shot all their minions and kept on doing it, it would be seriously inconvinient. If ten thousnd flies mob you whenever you go out, what would you do? Stay in until you can get some bug spray delivered.
2. Why in bollocks would the Daleks want to cross breed with humans in that way? Why? Why oh Lord? Can they seriously not REMEMBER how to make new Daleks?
With what? They're stuck on Earth. They're not C'tan. They can't just waltz into Ford's factory and turn it into a dalek plant.
3. Surely Daleks would not that wasn't what evolution was? Maybe I'm being a little to pernickity but "evolve" is such a silly term for what they're doing surely?
Are you drunk? Definition

1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.
2. a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research.

He didn't shout 'This is biological evolution by natural selection, this is how it happened on earth, and this is the natural process' - they're adapting to fit their enviroment, which is evolution by the definition of the term.
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

The Guid wrote:I feel there were so many brainbugs in this episode that it made me want to bang my head against a wall.

They dont want draw the attention of the Doctor is my guess.

But if Lezlo was so unintelligent how come he succeded in escaping?
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Looks like the Dalek's where impressed by humanity's ridiculous ability to survive(IIRC humanity survives well over 5 billion years according to DW:EU, and even then after all of humanity gets exterminated by the Time Lords, they legacy remembers all of them and lives on) as for why the Void Ship originally crashed back into Earth. The time period they shifted back to was the ideal period for them, no nuclear weapons but the ability to develop them in under 10 years with the current infrastructure, dirt cheap labor and lots of it, a political enviroment which didnt give a shit if dozens disappeared in the middle of a major city.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

The Guid wrote:1. Why don't the Daleks conquer Earth?
Making huge waves in history by changing established events will attact major attention spanning the entire universe. The Doctor isnt the only Time-travel capable person they need to worry about, especially when there is only 4 of them.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Yuri2356
Youngling

Post by Yuri2356 »

:?

Well, human-Sec's first words have failed to impress upon me the infinate rage and malice of Dalek-kind. He's got a lot of work to do in the next episode if he's to earn the same fear/respect that the standard squid-in-a-jar s get.

Anyway, when the Doctor found that blob in the sewer, did anyone else just instantly think, "It's a baby Dalek!" ?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

NecronLord wrote:Extra moving parts = breakdowns. A dalek casing would, pound for pound, outpreform a power suit in every way, provided they could fly.
It's true - the first Daleks were in fact fringe elements of the HAB, determined to rid themselves of inefficient bipedial locomotion and more closely resemble their beloved tanks. :)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Well original Daleks could be driven by a guy lifting the top and sitting inside using levers and shit. :)
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Hey!

Solomon's Captain Panaka from The Phantom Menace isn't he?
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Stark wrote:Well original Daleks could be driven by a guy lifting the top and sitting inside using levers and shit. :)
Did Ian actually drive the Dalek? I thought he had to be pushed around by Barbara and Susan, 'though it's been a while since I've seen the episode.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961