Beginning sketch

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Coriolis
Padawan Learner

Beginning sketch

Post by Coriolis »

I'm trying to pick up drawing, and my friend said the best way to begin is to learn how to draw your hand.

Here's my attempt:

I'll progress to other things, but I hope to become vaguely competent before school ends.
PRFYNAFBTFC - Verendo Iugula
Commander, Halifax-Class Frigate
MFS Doom Panda
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Not too shabby! One thing that I found that helped was to draw my hand in different positions: clenched, open, 'metal horns', and the like.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
LaserRifleofDoom
Padawan Learner

Post by LaserRifleofDoom »

What I'm impressed about is that you drew your right hand.
The Technology of Peace!
Coriolis
Padawan Learner

Post by Coriolis »

LaserRifleofDoom wrote:What I'm impressed about is that you drew your right hand.
I'm allowed to be a lefty aren't I? :P
MFS Doom Panda
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

The Cooler King wrote:Not too shabby! One thing that I found that helped was to draw my hand in different positions: clenched, open, 'metal horns', and the like.
I drew my hand exactly once. It was making the metal horms, and it was awesome. Sir, I cannot recommend this enough.
Coriolis
Padawan Learner

Post by Coriolis »

sketerpot wrote:
The Cooler King wrote:Not too shabby! One thing that I found that helped was to draw my hand in different positions: clenched, open, 'metal horns', and the like.
I drew my hand exactly once. It was making the metal horms, and it was awesome. Sir, I cannot recommend this enough.
I took your advice, and frankly, I cannot express my gratitude in words. My metal horns are full of awesome (I think so anyways). The actual picture is a bit darker b/c the flash I used was a little bright.

*Ignore the scribble. My friend was trying to draw one too.
MFS Doom Panda
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Get some unlined paper! (Stealing from library printers is perfectly acceptable! :)) These are good!

If you don't mind me asking, are you female? The proportions seem wrong for a male hand, but I'd say they are within the usual range of variation for a female hand (though still a bit unusual).
Coriolis
Padawan Learner

Post by Coriolis »

Actually, I'm a guy. Don't draw specifically from my hand. I use my hand as more of a guideline.
MFS Doom Panda
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

NICE! I love how you did the detail work on your fingernails. Are they really that regular-shaped?

I tend to use a 0.5mm mechanical pencil because it's what I always have available, but I have to admit, the shading and thicker lines from a regular pencil can be really pretty.

Plus, now your hand-badassery is forever recorded on paper.
Coriolis
Padawan Learner

Post by Coriolis »

sketerpot wrote:NICE! I love how you did the detail work on your fingernails. Are they really that regular-shaped?

I tend to use a 0.5mm mechanical pencil because it's what I always have available, but I have to admit, the shading and thicker lines from a regular pencil can be really pretty.

Plus, now your hand-badassery is forever recorded on paper.
Thanks. My fingernails are actually that shaped (I believe in good grooming :P )

Here's another work in progress, if anyone cares to comment on it:

Not quite done with it. It's an outstretched hand w/ relaxed, curled fingers.
MFS Doom Panda
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Nice work! The devil-horns are especially good, but the spread hand looks great, too. Good and simple, with just enough detail on both of them.

For some reason, I'm reminded of an exchange between an art teacher and Daria, in the first season of the show.

"Nice work on drawing your cube, Daria. You've really created the illusion of depth."

"Thanks. I'm thinking of going into politics."
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Damn, that's really good. I would actually, for you, start picking up random magazines and sketching things from them, specifically things you wish to learn how to draw rapidly. The best way to learn is to sketch things you see and once you have it, you can just go nuts without a model.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Coriolis
Padawan Learner

Post by Coriolis »

Tasoth wrote:Damn, that's really good. I would actually, for you, start picking up random magazines and sketching things from them, specifically things you wish to learn how to draw rapidly. The best way to learn is to sketch things you see and once you have it, you can just go nuts without a model.
Thanks! I'm heading on a school trip tomorrow, so I'll have 3 hours to do whatever. I'll work on that.
MFS Doom Panda