Dr Who Episode 2904 Daleks in Manhatten (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate the episode!

28%
41%
24%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 29

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I actually do recall them overhearing someone mention the Doctor and going nuts in one of the older Dalek stories. Since he's now destroyed their entire race TWICE (in what to the Cult may seem to be a few days) you'd think they'd at least be PAYING ATTENTION. You are actually claiming they don't care there are people with doctorates LOOKING AT THEM in their SECRET CATACOMBS full of PIGMEN. This *still* makes them idiots, and far less aggressive and intimidating than they have been for the rest of the new series, which is made worse by the fact that they are in dire straits and should be constantly worried about their survival.

Sorry, it makes them weak villians that they've been right next to the Doctor for much of the episode and haven't noticed him. You're clearly fine with it (you honestly don't think they should react to the Doctors name, special biology, or likeness despite him being the only Dalek celebrity and a massive war criminal they are current TRYING TO ESCAPE) but I'm not. They're being portrayed as idiots, and I'm just hoping there are mitigating circumstances like low power or a big double-bluff or something.

Your edit suggests you accept that the domes have a sensor role - and you still think it's okay they didn't react to someone hiding INCHES from them? TWO people even? By hiding in the dark and being quiet? Great fucking sensors there. It's a weak showing by the Daleks, and I hope this is all used in many vs threads in the future. Myopic, deaf, no non-visual sensos worth shit, can't spot someone who murdered their whole family in front of them in the same room, etc etc.

Still, human-Sec going 'rar I am a human and now... wait... isn't that the fucking Doctor? Turn around you idiots!' will be funny. :)
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

NecronLord wrote:The Daleks have conquered thousands upon thousands of worlds without him showing up. I don't get all the complaining about him sneaking in; they're not omniscient, and they utterly detest humans. Hiding among the humans - who are not being guarded by daleks - means they're not likely to notice him unless he actually does something. What's so bad about that? If you're a dalek, would you pay any more attention to corraled humans than you would to the concrete on the wall or the dust on your eyestalk?
Maybe the Daleks would have nothing to fear from normal humans and I can understand they wouldn't care about one their human victims escaping (ie Lazlow) but the Doctor is enemy number 1, the only guy that can stop them and Dalek Sec fully knew that in "Doomsday" - anything blue and boxy popping up within ten miles of them would've, should've, shown up on their radar.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

NecronLord wrote:
Besides, the Daleks have shot at least one David Tennant dead before. :lol:
If you're talking about Dalek Empire, they didn't shoot him. They turned him into a Dalek. :twisted:

I did find their lack of perceptiveness to be disappointing (their on Earth, the Doctor always fucks up their operations on Earth), but they did have the transformation to distraction them. And their maybe more in the next episode.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Frankly, I preffer their not noticing him to their noticing him, talking to him, and not at least paralysing him right off the bat in Doomsday.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have to agree with Stark on this one. Given that they spotted the Doctor after a brief video shot in "Doomsday" it seems strange that they missed him here. I hope to keep things consistent there is some explanation, like damaged components in the time jump etc to explain it.

On another note, I still have to see the last few minutes on youtube, but it seems like its not being loaded up and some videos are being taken down. Damn it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Remember that the Doctor is trying to hide. He may have just stayed behind others so they never got a clear view of him and unless the Daleks are actively scanning for a Time Lord they wouldn't see him that way.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I agree with Stark that the Daleks are acting pathetically in how unaware of their surroundings they are and how they did not notice their prisoners being infiltrated by the Doctor, but in the upcoming episode they seem less pathetic and they are flying about blasting things. I guess their oddly dopey behaviour could be to do with their “sacrifice” in removing their sensor globes and likely their emergency transmatting into the Time Vortex had a serious drain on their power (as suggested many times before).
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

What's so different about Time Lords? They noticed something when they were all looking at him before, but in with a sizeable group of humans and pig slaves, he wouldn't be that noticable; what's two extra heartbeats? And again, I think you're blowing it out of proportion. He's been there for literally a minute - and on review, I can't find anyone calling him, loudly or otherwise, Doctor while they're around - or so, while their leader is being reborn. They went past him once in the base, and once in the sewer, but in the first instance, strange yelps in the swewers just mean the pig slaves are doing their thing, and in the second, they'd far more on their oversized minds.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

From 28 April-4 May Radio Times

From a tight spot, the Doctor fashions an amusing distraction to allow his pals to escape through the New York sewers but, as we all know, running away from Daleks just makes their hackles rise - or would do if they had any.
That implies the Daleks spotted the Doctor anyway in their lair, but he somehow escapes. I can also see a large picture of the Doctor standing on seats in the theatre, holding his arms up defiantly and he's surrounded by dozens of young adults who have stern expressions on their faces and carrying around Dalek rayguns modified into rifle carbines - Robomen perhaps? Although in a caption they are described as "human Daleks"...
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

They don't spot The Doctor. And?? Their distrated and focusing on something else, just like in Domsday when they didn't notice him entering the same room until he spoke because they were destracted by Rose telling them how the Emperor died at her hands, just like they didn't detect the Cybermen and others massing outside the chamber because they were focussed on The Doctor and wanting them to open the Ark.

As for not detecting The Tardis appearing when they detected the Cybermen, I have two small points,
1) Its entirely possible they were doing the same as the one in Dalek, using the Earths satallite system to scan the world and unfortunately, the only satallite around Earth at this time is the Moon.
2) The TARDIS was parked in the same bloody building as them in Doomsday yet they were unable to detect itI'd say it was entirely possible they need their ships sensors to be able to track and detect a TARDIS.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Big Orange wrote:From 28 April-4 May Radio Times

From a tight spot, the Doctor fashions an amusing distraction to allow his pals to escape through the New York sewers but, as we all know, running away from Daleks just makes their hackles rise - or would do if they had any.
That implies the Daleks spotted the Doctor anyway in their lair, but he somehow escapes. I can also see a large picture of the Doctor standing on seats in the theatre, holding his arms up defiantly and he's surrounded by dozens of young adults who have stern expressions on their faces and carrying around Dalek rayguns modified into rifle carbines - Robomen perhaps? Although in a caption they are described as "human Daleks"...
BO, you shit for brains, that's what we call a spoiler. I've taken the liberty of turning your text into size 1.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

NecronLord wrote:What's so different about Time Lords? They noticed something when they were all looking at him before, but in with a sizeable group of humans and pig slaves, he wouldn't be that noticable; what's two extra heartbeats? And again, I think you're blowing it out of proportion. He's been there for literally a minute - and on review, I can't find anyone calling him, loudly or otherwise, Doctor while they're around - or so, while their leader is being reborn. They went past him once in the base, and once in the sewer, but in the first instance, strange yelps in the swewers just mean the pig slaves are doing their thing, and in the second, they'd far more on their oversized minds.
LOL what supertech audio sensors, wait four seconds after a Dalek passes it won't hear you. What supertech sensors at all - just say out of eye-coverage and they won't see you! Worthless. Weak villians. Hope this comes up in vs arguments, etc. A Dalek is aware of nothing that isn't right fucking in front of it and in plain view.

That they have the approaches to their base (where they cavort openly) full of random pigslaves is stupid in itself. These are not the world-conquering, universe-shaking Daleks we've come to expect. Manpower shortages - or the differences between Cult and regular Daleks - have seriously reduced their effectiveness. Perhaps the Cult are more 'intellectuals' than military types?

At 41 minutes-odd there's a PAIR of blind, deaf Daleks that don't notice the Doctor sticking his head out even when some silly bitch talks at the top of her voice. Fabulous! Clearly there are no sensors beyond a monitor and perhaps a weak audio feed. At 42.25, the pigboy says 'Doctor, Doctor quickly', and the Daleks are round the corner, COMING TOWARD HIM. I hear these guys destroyed the Time Lords? :lol:
Yuri2356
Youngling

Post by Yuri2356 »

Stark wrote:LOL what supertech audio sensors, wait four seconds after a Dalek passes it won't hear you. What supertech sensors at all - just say out of eye-coverage and they won't see you! Worthless. Weak villians. Hope this comes up in vs arguments, etc. A Dalek is aware of nothing that isn't right fucking in front of it and in plain view.

That they have the approaches to their base (where they cavort openly) full of random pigslaves is stupid in itself. These are not the world-conquering, universe-shaking Daleks we've come to expect. Manpower shortages - or the differences between Cult and regular Daleks - have seriously reduced their effectiveness. Perhaps the Cult are more 'intellectuals' than military types?

At 41 minutes-odd there's a PAIR of blind, deaf Daleks that don't notice the Doctor sticking his head out even when some silly bitch talks at the top of her voice. Fabulous! Clearly there are no sensors beyond a monitor and perhaps a weak audio feed. At 42.25, the pigboy says 'Doctor, Doctor quickly', and the Daleks are round the corner, COMING TOWARD HIM. I hear these guys destroyed the Time Lords? :lol:
Maybe Caan, Jast, and Thay suffered a bit of... 'internal damage' back at Canary Wharf. Or maybe Sec ordered them to study their enemy by watching a few to many films by the up-and-coming 'Ted Healy and His Stooges.' :wink:

Sec:"Now, I need the three of you to make sure nothing interferes with my evolution."

Thay:"You can count on us, Boss. Right, you two go watch the tunnels, I'll stay here with Sec."

Jast:"Hey, what's the big Idea? How come you get to stay here?"

Caan:"Yeah, why do we have to watch the tunnels?"

Thay:" 'cause I'm the one who gave my ass to make sure this works!"

Jast:"Well, you got no shortage of that, do ya?"

Thay:"Wise guy, eh? Why I oughta..."

Jast:"Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop!" *Rolls off into the sewers*

Thay: (To Caan) "Remind me to Exterminate him later."

etc. etc.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stark wrote:I hear these guys destroyed the Time Lords? :lol:
These would be the same Time Lords who got invaded by the Sontarans, despite being billions of years old, with more power than you can shake a stick at. And then there's the Vardans, who managed to invade Gallifrey by being scanned by Gallifrey's computer... And are, as a rule, even more thick and physically limited. Even the Doctor, one of their most effective, has been travelling in a phone box for nine hundred years, and hasn't bothered even attempting to aquire a personal shield type device so he can't be held up by every punk with a gun.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You've got me there. I can't really take the Time Lords seriously without remembering the stupdefied, vacant expressions that greeted the Invasion(s) of Time. Amusingly, the Daleks probably have better computer network security than the Time Lords, what with the super Matrix having eight thousand back doors and remote controllers.

Perhaps this Dalek Downgrade is part of allowing them to be more 'regular' villians? I had assumed Sec would build more primitive Daleks that would 'escape' and appear later (as the TW-era Daleks seem too powerful to be constantly defeated without lameness), but maybe they're just going to make out that without starships or stolen Time Lord stuff around they're not really very dangerous or attentive?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

According to the RT bit, this is the first 'true' dalek story. Personally, I'm pretty sure the sewer scene was just done so they could get that homage with the dalek shadow on the wall in somehow.

We shall soon find out if this stupidity continues, anyway. It would indeed be amusing if human-Sec points at the Doctor right away and does a 'Pod Person' screech.

Or possibly sidles up to him and punches him in the balls. "Oh that felt good... You guys have got to try this..." :lol:
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

NecronLord wrote: BO, you shit for brains, that's what we call a spoiler. I've taken the liberty of turning your text into size 1.
OK, I'll be a little more careful next time when I'll impart the very vague synopsis and picture descriptions from a TV mag that has only been published throughout the whole country. :wtf:

But on a more serious note: It doesn't make sense that those Dalek human henchmen seen in last weekend's preview trailer should supposedly be partially Dalek - although the Daleks were selecting their human prisoners to be something apart from Pigmen, preferably young and reasonably intelligent (but they wouldn't be "true" Daleks, merely glorified Robomen).
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Big Orange wrote:
NecronLord wrote: BO, you shit for brains, that's what we call a spoiler. I've taken the liberty of turning your text into size 1.
OK, I'll be a little more careful next time when I'll impart the very vague synopsis and picture descriptions from a TV mag that has only been published throughout the whole country. :wtf:
No, shit for brains...it's for people who are not in Britain. That's why Dr Who spoilers are most definitly spoilers unless you're talking about LAST SEASON.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Ghost Rider wrote: No, shit for brains...it's for people who are not in Britain. That's why Dr Who spoilers are most definitly spoilers unless you're talking about LAST SEASON.
I'll of course be more careful, but the very title for this thread has a "spoiler" caption anyway. :wtf: :?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

It's a spoiler for me. I watch the previews in advance, and that's it. And hell, sometimes I don't even watch them.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

In that case I genuinely apologise and again I will try and be more careful in imparting even a plot synopsis (plus I don't want to get on the wrong side of Ghost Rider yet again).