The Best of Holst

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

The Best of Holst

Post by Hawkwings »

What do you consider to be your favorite piece by Gustav Holst?

Currently, my favorite is the Second Suite in F, but I haven't listened to some of his other pieces.
Coriolis
Padawan Learner

Post by Coriolis »

I rather partial to most of the Planets. However, I haven't heard much of Host outside the Planets and what we play in band.
PRFYNAFBTFC - Verendo Iugula
Commander, Halifax-Class Frigate
MFS Doom Panda
BrandonMustang
Youngling

Post by BrandonMustang »

I really like his 1st Suite in Eb for Military Band. I am a trumpet player though so he tended to write great parts for my instrument in all of his work.
The best thing you can do is the right thing. The second best thing you can do is the wrong thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.

-Ben Franklin
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I'm tempted by St Pauls Opus because I played it in an orchestra once, but I'm tempted not to say it because it was a bastard to play!
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Coriolis wrote:I rather partial to most of the Planets. However, I haven't heard much of Host outside the Planets and what we play in band.
I would agree, I haven't really listened to much else than The Planets, though you can listen to a handful of his other works here.

I don't know if his Second Suite is supposed to be played by an orchestra, but I suspect I might like it more if it were. I heard some vague similarities between the Fantasia and Jupiter. I liked his Song Without Words on its own merits, but I don't really like the March or the Blacksmith's Song, and I'm sure if I heard both movements played by an orchestra I'd still feel the same way.

I also like his string and organ piece Thaxted (but not only because it uses one of Jupiter's theme).

I couldn't load his choral works pages for some reason.

For now, I'd stick with The Planets.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

We tried 2nd Suite in F in concert band, and it is pretty. Probably my favorite Holst piece out there.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

My highschool band director loved Holst. You could call our spring concert an 'Evening with Holst', because we'd do Jupiter (from the planets), as well as the first and second suites and the Moorside Suite.

I have to say, Jupiter and second Suite are my favorite pieces of his that I've played, though I have never performed Mars.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:My highschool band director loved Holst. You could call our spring concert an 'Evening with Holst', because we'd do Jupiter (from the planets), as well as the first and second suites and the Moorside Suite.

I have to say, Jupiter and second Suite are my favorite pieces of his that I've played, though I have never performed Mars.
Is Jupiter the one in 5/4, or is that Mars? I can naver remember.

Actually, now that I think of it, the year before my rookie year in marching band, the band played The Planets for a show. It was pretty friggin' awesome, though the band wasn't excellent that year.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Mars is in 5/4

And the Suites in Eb and F are written for band, aren't they?