Quick ISD scene

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Quick ISD scene

Post by fractalsponge1 »

A little something I whipped up. I'm no image-smith, but I'm fairly happy with the result.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

I have a new desktop picture now :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Problem: your TIEs have painted-over rear windows.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Spearfish
Youngling

Post by Spearfish »

No image smi...

Bollocks. That's brilliant.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Raesene wrote:I have a new desktop picture now :-)
Likewise. :D Awesome job, man.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

Alan Bolte wrote:Problem: your TIEs have painted-over rear windows.
I didn't think TIEs had rear windows, per se. Schematics.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

Post by Laughing Mechanicus »

That looks fantastic, the motion blur really helps sell the realism of it.
Indie game dev, my website: SlowBladeSystems. Twitter: @slowbladesys
Also officer of the Sunday Simmers, a Steam group for war game and simulation enthusiasts
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Me too.
Love the Star Destroyer on the right particularly.

I really like it, hope to see some more of your work soon. Hopefully an SD kicking the shit out of something.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Darth Tanner wrote:
Me too.
Love the Star Destroyer on the right particularly.

I really like it, hope to see some more of your work soon. Hopefully an SD kicking the shit out of something.
3rded. That instantly put the best Warlords pics I have to shame, the lighting in the trench of the ISD on the right is amazing, all the shadows are. (obviously the Homeworld 2 engine can look only so good, the mod itself remains awesome)

My only question, what's the front-facing armor plate on the overlapping segments, halfway up between the trench and the bridge? Doesn't look normal but then I'm not being Nazi-ish on known-canon design -- it actually lends them a unique appeal IMO. :)
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

I'd love to see an SSD pic from you, or one of an absolutely massive fleet. Awesome work again, sir.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

That really is good work. I look forward to seeing what else you can do. ;)
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

rhoenix wrote:That really is good work. I look forward to seeing what else you can do.
Dude its the fractalsponge. Here is a link to the best model he has made so far linky Heres his site: another linky
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

fusion wrote:Dude its the fractalsponge. Here is a link to the best model he has made so far linky Heres his site: another linky
Ah, thank you very much for the links.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

*bows down* WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!111!
Seriously, awesome work man. You deserve a freaking medal or something.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

darthbob88 wrote:
I didn't think TIEs had rear windows, per se. Schematics.
Get out of my BBS with that EGVV bullshit.

Seriously, though:
Note the central hexagon is black. This is what I meant by it being painted over in the render.

Yes, it's a window. Note this viewscreen in Lord Vader's TIE mimicking the rear hexagonal window on a normal TIE.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

kewl pic. and fusion, the first link isnt working
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

4thed :wink:
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

Argosh wrote:
4thed :wink:
5thed. This is incredible work.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

phred wrote:kewl pic. and fusion, the first link isnt working
Thats not the link's fault its .... its .... its 3d scifi is down!!!!!!!!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

You know I didn't even notice the thing about the hexagon at the rear of the fighters. I'll make sure to have them black in the future. Thanks for catching that.
fusion wrote: Dude its the fractalsponge. Here is a link to the best model he has made so far linky Heres his site: another linky
Thanks for the replies. I don't usually do images, being more of a modeller, but I'm hoping to do an SSD pic eventually. The mesh is actually shite (was the first I ever did), but with a half-decent texture and some proper GI lighting it's almost respectable:

Needs a rebuild really, but what can you do. A v1 of my ISD mesh is available on scifi3d. The ties (t/f, t/i, t/b, and halfa tie x1) and v2 of the ISD haven't been released. The ties are what I consider my best detailing, but seem to be overlooked in favor of the big ships for some reason.
SPC Brungardt wrote: My only question, what's the front-facing armor plate on the overlapping segments, halfway up between the trench and the bridge? Doesn't look normal but then I'm not being Nazi-ish on known-canon design -- it actually lends them a unique appeal IMO. :)
It's on the physical model, but no function is ascribed. Could be missile tube covers for all I know (which would actually be kinda cool).
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Oh Great Fractal! We are not worth of your Niftyness! :D

That said, have oyu ever tried your talents at EU Ships? I'd LOVE to see an old Republic Dreadnaught done by you :D
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

You know, you just about killed a friend of mine. He used MAX back in the day, but he's positively shaken to the core. :D

Seriously, they look fantastic, especially close up. The detail on these things is incredible. Though my friend is having trouble concieving as to how you're rendering such beasts.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Oh Great Fractal! We are not worth of your Niftyness! :D

That said, have oyu ever tried your talents at EU Ships? I'd LOVE to see an old Republic Dreadnaught done by you :D
This thing? Nothing could make it look cool.

Or is there some other design that is also called an old republic Dreadnaught?

Really, replicating a ship that's already been replicated a zillion times is a lot less cool. Doing something people haven't done before is a lot more interesting. I'd be interested in seeing some of the more bizzare EU shipping brought into play, to see it alongside other things.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

From that perspective and picture, that ship seems rather reminiscent of the neoBSG Pegasus, only half as wide.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Long post, sorry.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Oh Great Fractal! We are not worth of your Niftyness! :D

I'm slowly doing an XG1 starwing currently, and did some work a ways back my own heavy frigate type, but mostly I've stuck with the canon. ISD, SSD, T/F, T/I, T/B, droideka, and T/x1 are the ones in some fair state of completion.

Lots of EU ships I'd love to do, but would just take forever. You can always kitbash, but a lot you have to do fresh for each, from highly incomplete refs (like comics). I'd like to see a heavy cruiser as much as anyone, but there's only so much detailing you can do before...you just want to do something else.
Ford Prefect wrote:You know, you just about killed a friend of mine. He used MAX back in the day, but he's positively shaken to the core. :D

Seriously, they look fantastic, especially close up. The detail on these things is incredible. Though my friend is having trouble concieving as to how you're rendering such beasts.
E6600 core2 renders the left ISD in about 30min at 2560x1600; the right one in about 15min. The model after some rudimentary optimization is about 1.8million polygons tris, I believe. The TIEs vary - between 700 and 800k polygons each depending on whether it's /I or /In. For reference the nBSG galactica model is I think ~10million polygons (but that had a lot of curves).

My ISD was made to "look right" - i.e. not a 100% faithful replication of the studio model; there's such a mesh being made now by Jedilaw at SFM - when that's finished it should be the new standard for accuracy - at probably ~4-6million (my guess).

It's gotten to the point at which common hardware can handle the "insane" meshes of a few years ago. Lighting is what really separates the render farm people from those on a home PC - you can have global illumination/radiosity on for animated shots, not just stills, and that ultimately is what really sells the realism of the shot. The model has to be good, but give it shit lighting and you'll get a shit effect.

When I started, using geometry instead of textures to create details was sort of a novelty for the amateur community; now it's common as hardware has improved. However tools to automate modelling detail haven't gotten farther than the greeble plugin - but I guess that still leaves a way to show the skill of the artist. Even ILM's Venator in ROTS had relatively simple little boxes in the trench (obviously not focused on in the movie). Amateurs like me can afford to have real detail all the time, since we have no deadlines.

I'm quite curious to see the CGI star destroyers and ties in the live-action stuff soon to come out - if only to see how the pros do it.