Shakira is hot but she is not allowed to cover AC/DC

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Shakira is hot but she is not allowed to cover AC/DC

Post by Death from the Sea »

I like to see SHAKIRA shake her ass and all, but she murders a great song here....
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

THAT is horrible!!! I couldn't listen to anymore... OMG What is she thinking? Nevermind that, what was AC/DC thinking letting her do it?
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

I got to thirty seconds in when I had an overload of 'EPIC FAIL' and closed the tab. BLECH!

I still hate her 'Whenever Wherever' English debut and its peculiar fascination with words that end in '-ear'. :roll:
Image Image
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

I hope AC/DC got a shitload of royalties for that. I can't claim to be a great fan of the original but she butchered it.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

She starts singing it straight up @ 1:15, but the song doesn't work for her then either. I usually really like off-beat versions of 'classics', but ya, this stinks.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Vampiress_Miyu
Padawan Learner

Post by Vampiress_Miyu »

;_; This makes me sad. . . . Shakira should stick to sexy Spanish-ness... and not try to redo awesome songs. That kind of behavior is reserved for those silly pop singers.
Usergroups:
GALE Force
SoS:NBA
Mecha Maniacs
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

No no NO! Why isn't anyone stopping her?!

What the hell is it with these damn pop stars making hideous AC/DC covers?
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Tranan
Jedi Knight

Post by Tranan »

Thats iligal to bee that bad and on a stage. why don't the crowd leave?
Operor non capto sicco fatum mihi! EGO adepto fatum res quam vos fore ientaculum!
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

What the fuck? I don't... I... shit?

The first minute or so is totally bizarre, with a kind of jazzy, muzak version of the Back in Black hook and Shakira "singing" in some way I'm at a loss to describe. Even after the proper song picks up, her whole performance is all wrong for the song. The trick with making a good cover is not taking a song and totally demolishing it to try and make it yours, it's picking a song that fits you and adapting it to play to your strengths.

That's just a total mess, like Fred Durst and "Behind Blue Eyes."
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Pablo Sanchez wrote: That's just a total mess, like Fred Durst and "Behind Blue Eyes."
What...you don't like reverb in your vocals? :lol:

After reading the posts here I was expecting Shakira's version of Back in Black to really really suck. It still sucked but mostly in the "meh" category.

This arrangement of the song might be passible if she did a polished studio version but I don't see the point. It'd still be mediocre at best.

It's about as good as the Hayseed Dixie version but without the comedic element.

====

I was pretty certain I had seen some other female singer do a really terrible AC/DC cover but my brain was refusing to let me remember who it was. Then I remembered. :? I think this version is better than a solo version I'd seen before, and it's better than Shakira's cover but there's still something that starts making my skin crawl in the middle of it. It's better when just listening. Watching the video really gives me a case of the heebies. :wtf:

====

Now I'm off to watch Avril cover Metalica and then see if I can find Sheryl Crow's cover of Sweet Child o Mine by G-N-R. :|
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Tsyroc wrote:
Now I'm off to watch Avril cover Metalica and then see if I can find Sheryl Crow's cover of Sweet Child o Mine by G-N-R. :|
Speaking of Avril Lavigne taking beloved songs into the woods and shooting them, I stumbled upon this cover of System of a Down's "Chop Suey". Words don't just fail me, they have me repeating grades.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

I refuse to click the link, I'm still recovering form the Celine Dion cover of Shook Me all Night Long, which I believe Shakira helped out on.....
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Someone quick! Put a dick in her mouth to shut her up. That should keep her quiet. Any volunteers? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Speaking of Avril Lavigne taking beloved songs into the woods and shooting them, I stumbled upon this cover of System of a Down's "Chop Suey". Words don't just fail me, they have me repeating grades.
"Mommy, my ears are bleeding!"

I found the original to be kind of "meh" (it's in fact the only SOAD song I can stand), but that cover was just horrible. Her voice was just too damn screechy. The song doesn't suit her voice at all.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Enigma wrote:Someone quick! Put a dick in her mouth to shut her up. That should keep her quiet. Any volunteers? :)
Нет.
Image Image
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

While this is true, Ein, isn't that sacrifice worth shutting her up?
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

White Haven wrote:While this is true, Ein, isn't that sacrifice worth shutting her up?
Not a chance in hell. Plus I don't care for getting blowjobs; I'd much rather give head than get it.
Image Image
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

it's not so good as a YouTube video, but the segue to the guitar riff was probably impressive at the actual show.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:
Speaking of Avril Lavigne taking beloved songs into the woods and shooting them, I stumbled upon this cover of System of a Down's "Chop Suey". Words don't just fail me, they have me repeating grades.
You've just made the universe seem a little less bright for me...
That doesn't even quailify as music, it was just her screeching for the main part. Though I admit i only forced myself through the first thirty seconds or so.

*Goes to listen to Inner Vision to make the pain go away.*
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Mrs Kendall wrote:THAT is horrible!!! I couldn't listen to anymore... OMG What is she thinking? Nevermind that, what was AC/DC thinking letting her do it?
They didn't have to. Covering someone else's song is actually legal to do without permission - hence Guitar Hero. As long as there is a recognizable difference between the two.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Oh my god, that is nuts! I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Dalton wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote:THAT is horrible!!! I couldn't listen to anymore... OMG What is she thinking? Nevermind that, what was AC/DC thinking letting her do it?
They didn't have to. Covering someone else's song is actually legal to do without permission - hence Guitar Hero. As long as there is a recognizable difference between the two.
Interesting! Are you still obligated to provide royalties to the composer, even if you don't need permission?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I think so, because the estate of robert johnson still collect on Led Zepplin and the rolling stones.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I lasted about 2 mins on the shakira video, even when she does switch into a more straight across version her voice doesnt do the song justice
The celine dion video is ALMOST listenable , i shut it down 30 seconds or so in
as for Avril......... she doesnt even know the words. I laughed when I heard the girl in the audience going "What the hell?" then shut it off because Im not sure I want to find out
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
Dalton wrote:
Interesting! Are you still obligated to provide royalties to the composer, even if you don't need permission?
Not as far as I'm aware. Didn't Six Feet Under cover an entire AC/DC album?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus