"World War Hulk" - Commentary and Discussion

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
TheDarkling wrote:Namor:"Banner will come back from whence you send him and he will kill you all! And he'll be right."

Namor - Smarter than Reed Richards and Tony Stark.
why am I now picturing the hulk in a yellow jumpsuit and carrying a hanzo katana...

but then we would have to change the title to "Kill Stark"
I would not object in the slightest to this.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

So the smashing has begun and the spoilers will flow.

Stark and Reed's treatment of Reynolds is deployable.

Stark's PR tape about how great a guy he is was vomit inducing.
His claim to a one on one battle where he calls in air support was a new height of hypocrisy, as was his justification of his attempted murder of Banner "because he would want it that way".

I'm just glad Hulk gave him the beating he deserved, shame we didn't see more of the Blackbolt fight (maybe in Hulk itself?), toppling Stark towers was an especially nice touch.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Hmm. First issue was a decent kick-off. While I'm more excited for this than Civil War, my main focus on a summer event is the forthcoming "Sinestro Corps War" in the pages of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. Still, some good stuff. I especially love how the cat's out of the bag in regards to the Illuminati's existence. If any of them get through this, I'm sure the rest of the super-hero community and general will be anxious to know just what else these guys were up to since the Kree-Skrull War... :twisted:
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

I just read the first issue. Pretty good. They actually made Iron Man seem very heroic, or at least more so than he has been recently, and they made the Hulk very sympathetic yet quite scary as well. The fight scene between Iron Man and the Hulk was great. I especially loved Iron Man's, "Oh hell" comment after his failed attempt at killing the Hulk.

Overall a very good issue!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

JME2 wrote:While I'm more excited for this than Civil War, my main focus on a summer event is the forthcoming "Sinestro Corps War" in the pages of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps.
Oh. HELL. YEAAAAAAAAH. :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

As a long time Iron Man fanboy, I just want to take this moment to voice my approval for what Marvel has done to Tony Stark. I just wish they'd put him back in his classic armor.
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

I liked the moments leading up to and after the fight with Black Bolt.
"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Artwork is pretty shitty.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I like how some people basically say Tony's somehow better than Hulk because Hulk threatened to start tearing the planet up if the Illuminati didn't come out and face him instead of hiding when what we've got here is essentially a war being declared by a head of state.

The best comparison I can give is it's like the president of the USA only asking for the guy who gave the order and the guy who pushed the button after the USSR unloaded it's entire arsenal onto the states.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Especially since Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic are directly responsible for the death of millions/billions of lives. The Hulk is asking for three war criminals to be handed over. Instead, Iron Man basically declares war, attacks him and orders missle strikes. I wonder how many people died when the Stark towers collapsed because Iron Man just HAD to fight the Hulk and get the army involved.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Praxis wrote: I wonder how many people died when the Stark towers collapsed because Iron Man just HAD to fight the Hulk and get the army involved.
Very few I would wager, since the city was pretty much entirely evacuated a few pages earlier.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
MadSorcerer
Redshirt

Post by MadSorcerer »

Praxis wrote:Especially since Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic are directly responsible for the death of millions/billions of lives. *snip*
I didn't read Planet Hulk, was the bomb intentional?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

No.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Lonestar wrote:No.
We don't know that for certain.

It is possible one of the Hulk's companions set it off deliberately (the Brood of Miek were seen hanging around it) or it could even be some sort of anti-tamper devise installed by the illuminati.

In either case they sent a ship that had the potential to destroy an entire city and it did just that, any court would find them guilty of criminal negligence (well any court where they couldn't buy the verdict).
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Praxis wrote:
In fact, he slept with She-Hulk.

Even more reason for Jen to be ticked with him.

Also:

Sucks to be Tony Stark. Thor's gonna be TICKED.
I don't really follow comics these days, but damn is the artwork in those frames awful.

Tony Stark as self centered asshole gone wild isn't as surprising as I thought, on second glance.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:
Praxis wrote: I wonder how many people died when the Stark towers collapsed because Iron Man just HAD to fight the Hulk and get the army involved.
Very few I would wager, since the city was pretty much entirely evacuated a few pages earlier.
Wait, all of New York?

(I haven't read the issue yet, just the fight scans, I plan to pick it up tomorrow if I can)
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Praxis wrote:
Manus Celer Dei wrote:
Wait, all of New York?

(I haven't read the issue yet, just the fight scans, I plan to pick it up tomorrow if I can)
Yup. Gotta love super powered workers and telepaths to pick up distress signals :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Yeah Hulk gave them 24 hours to evacuate and thanks to the help of the anti-regs and pro-regs working together for once they managed it.

Of course Tony, conniving weasel that he is only agreed not to arrest them and offered a completely worthless pardon if they helped and surrendered afterwards.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Vaporous wrote:
Praxis wrote:
In fact, he slept with She-Hulk.

Even more reason for Jen to be ticked with him.

Also:

Sucks to be Tony Stark. Thor's gonna be TICKED.
I don't really follow comics these days, but damn is the artwork in those frames awful.

Tony Stark as self centered asshole gone wild isn't as surprising as I thought, on second glance.
I thought she-hulk married jameson the werewolf.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

The Yosemite Bear wrote: I thought she-hulk married jameson the werewolf.....
Stargod and yes she did.

However she was under the influence of Eros' emotion control at the time (which had been mimicked by Awesome Andy), once released from it she decided she wanted an annulment although I don't believe they have actually gotten one yet (She Hulk got drafted the same day she found out so she may not have had time to start proceedings).
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

The Hulk comes across as a terrorist in this issue to me. He and Tony deserve each other at this point. Hopefully they'll kill each other off.
Jason B. Romano
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Jason wrote:The Hulk comes across as a terrorist in this issue to me. He and Tony deserve each other at this point. Hopefully they'll kill each other off.
No, he is the King of a sovereign nation.

They get to kill folk and it is perfectly above board.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

TheDarkling wrote:
Jason wrote:The Hulk comes across as a terrorist in this issue to me. He and Tony deserve each other at this point. Hopefully they'll kill each other off.
No, he is the King of a sovereign nation.

They get to kill folk and it is perfectly above board.
I have no intention of getting into a full blown political discussion over this but will just say that IMO there is no different set of rules for a "King of a sovereign nation" that they get to play by.
Jason B. Romano
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Jason wrote: I have no intention of getting into a full blown political discussion over this but will just say that IMO there is no different set of rules for a "King of a sovereign nation" that they get to play by.
There quite clearly are different rules for how nations at war can act and how civilians can act, whether you dislike that idea is up to you but there clearly are different rules.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

With all the dickery Iron Man caused during the CW, he definitly got what he deserved. Unfortunately, he'll probably live after having Stark Towers dropped on him. And was Black Bolt killed or just knocked the fuck out by Hulk?
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring