"World War Hulk" - Commentary and Discussion

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

TheDarkling wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote: I thought she-hulk married jameson the werewolf.....
Stargod and yes she did.

However she was under the influence of Eros' emotion control at the time (which had been mimicked by Awesome Andy), once released from it she decided she wanted an annulment although I don't believe they have actually gotten one yet (She Hulk got drafted the same day she found out so she may not have had time to start proceedings).
damn I was looking forward to green furred puppies....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

So the next mas of WWH related material hit stores today.. anyone take a look? Some new developments, some interesting, some making me want to yell 'DICK!' at the comic.

Tony's rationale for not asking Bruce if he wanted to be shot off to the nice peaceful little planet? Hey might have said no. Yep that does kinda render bothering to ask useless if you're not planning to give him a choice anyway. This logic never worked with my parents when I was a kid so I'm wondering why it seems to be expected to work now? On the other hand Tony seems convinced he's doing what's right and best for people.. even if he's doing it in a way that reminds me rather a lot like that of Mangaverse Dr. Doom or Red Son superman.

Hulk has more friends than I thought.. though some of them appear a bit on the nutty side, and Herc had to take a beating to get the point across (not to mention our Greek buddy has an e-mail address and feels pretty strongly for the big green king).

Cho.. I'm thinking Amadeus is getting set up for a fall since despite all his smarts the writers have seen fit to remind us on more than one occasion that he's a teenager.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Flagg wrote:Artwork is pretty shitty.
John Romita Jr. does great art.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Flagg wrote:Artwork is pretty shitty.
John Romita Jr. does great art.
The current (interior) art in She-Hulk is awful, which I assume is what Flagg was talking about.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

SylasGaunt wrote:Cho.. I'm thinking Amadeus is getting set up for a fall since despite all his smarts the writers have seen fit to remind us on more than one occasion that he's a teenager.
From my reading so far, feats-wise I've just seen messing with the SHIELD craft, electronics outmaneuvering of Reed Richards, hacking financial accounts and buying a craft for him, Hercules and Warren Worthington III to try and (unsuccessfully) bring in Namor... although Namora came along, that wasn't what was intended, and I think for some reason that Cho's missing something, if only because he didn't convince Namor.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I've got the WWH #1 and WWH Incredible Hulk 106 and I find that everyone seemed childish. Everyone needs some spanking.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I think Amadeus is too naive and full of himself. Namor's got a point. Though it's hard not to sympathize with the Hulk.

From what I understand the destruction of Sakaar was due to the ship exploding by accident. But, isn't that what the Hulk also did? He killed people, but it seems to be mostly unintentional in terms of civilian casualties. So, given that, and the fact that Iron Man and company have put others at risk with their creations, Ultron, etc., shouldn't they also blast themselves into space? The Hulk may have killed what, hundreds, thousands? How many were on that planet when it was destroyed? A million? More? Unintended, but weren't the Hulk's victims also?

If anything, I think they should own up to being hypocrites.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Enigma wrote:I've got the WWH #1 and WWH Incredible Hulk 106 and I find that everyone seemed childish. Everyone needs some spanking.
I actually rooted for Iron Man when he owned up bluntly to Hulk's accusation. Pity that he then wasted his "badass by wrongness" credibility by using an attack so likely to give Hulk a flashback in the event he survived, the airstrike... :lol:
neoolong wrote:I think Amadeus is too naive and full of himself. Namor's got a point. Though it's hard not to sympathize with the Hulk.
Interestingly to me, if I recall correctly, wasn't Amadeus actually unaware of Hercules and Namora's own personal parallels to Hulk's situation? (Since I see no hint that Amadeus had intended to recruit Namora.)

If the writers are insincere in "seventh smartest in the world," then they're doing their job in my eyes, as Amadeus Cho definitely came off to me like a "whiz kid" with tricks (my previous post having all those I recall) than as, well, really impressive.
From what I understand the destruction of Sakaar was due to the ship exploding by accident. But, isn't that what the Hulk also did? He killed people, but it seems to be mostly unintentional in terms of civilian casualties. So, given that, and the fact that Iron Man and company have put others at risk with their creations, Ultron, etc., shouldn't they also blast themselves into space?
Henry Pym's "riding the bomb" scene was his reaction, but I don't know if that counts since he survived.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

neoolong wrote: From what I understand the destruction of Sakaar was due to the ship exploding by accident. But, isn't that what the Hulk also did? He killed people, but it seems to be mostly unintentional in terms of civilian casualties. So, given that, and the fact that Iron Man and company have put others at risk with their creations, Ultron, etc., shouldn't they also blast themselves into space? The Hulk may have killed what, hundreds, thousands? How many were on that planet when it was destroyed? A million? More? Unintended, but weren't the Hulk's victims also?

If anything, I think they should own up to being hypocrites.
IIRC the thing that finally tipped it over was Hulk killing 30 some odd people in a rampage in vegas.. only this is coming from Tony, a guy who tampered with the minds of the entire planet and who apparently shot down a plane with 200 civvies on baord (though that's only something I've heard about and I don't know where it's from).

As for the Sakaar incident we don't know what caused it. Could have been an accident, design flaw, damage from the crash, possibly sabotage by two of Hulk's warbound, or someone might have installed a failsafe to make sure Bruce never got off the planet.. I hate to think of that kind of behavior from heroes but when Tony starts performing illegal human experimentation on people and rapes the constitution as he pleases it's hard to dismiss the possibility.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

SylasGaunt wrote:IIRC the thing that finally tipped it over was Hulk killing 30 some odd people in a rampage in vegas.. only this is coming from Tony, a guy who tampered with the minds of the entire planet and who apparently shot down a plane with 200 civvies on baord (though that's only something I've heard about and I don't know where it's from).

That was from the Iron Man "Execute Program" storyline. He was being mentally taken over by the son of the man who helped him create the original armor, and pushed into killing everyone responsible for the good professor's death. One of those men was on an airliner, so he had Tony fly out and blast the plane in midair, no matter the two hundred innocent people onboard.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

You know what I'd like to see at the end of World War Hulk?

Iron Man and Hulk are facing each other down, a ruined landscape around them. Iron Man is clearly losing, and so in the last few frames on the final page, he goes to flee.

However, a hand reaches out and holds him to the ground. He turns to see who it is...

Final Page; Iron Man is stuck between the Incredible Hulk, and a very upset (and real) Thor.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

From issue 106, how much of a threat is Sentry to Hulk?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Enigma wrote:From issue 106, how much of a threat is Sentry to Hulk?
Sorry not 106 but WWH#1.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

The Cooler King wrote: That was from the Iron Man "Execute Program" storyline. He was being mentally taken over by the son of the man who helped him create the original armor, and pushed into killing everyone responsible for the good professor's death. One of those men was on an airliner, so he had Tony fly out and blast the plane in midair, no matter the two hundred innocent people onboard.
Wait so Tony's thought processes weren't the clearest and it resulted in innocent deaths? Shoot him into space!

Of course in my opinion the whole thing with him invading the minds of the entire planet to benefit himself alone qualifies him for being shot off planet.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Considering Sentry commonly throws people into the sun when they annoy him...very.

I mean, the Hulk can get as angry as he wants, but if he's flying into the sun it won't do him much good.

Anyway, doesn't Tony's situation mimick the Hulk's? IIRC didn't the Hulk get hit by a gamma bomb or something to make him go crazy and kill 30-something people in Vegas? He wasn't in his right mind; just like Tony when he blew up the plane.

Anyway, I don't know who I want to see kill Stark more; Peter "If anything happens to my family because I unmask, you'll pay" Parker, Bucky/Winter Soldier, Namor, Hulk, or She-Hulk.

Isn't pretty much half the Marvel U out to kill Tony now?
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Solauren wrote:You know what I'd like to see at the end of World War Hulk?

Iron Man and Hulk are facing each other down, a ruined landscape around them. Iron Man is clearly losing, and so in the last few frames on the final page, he goes to flee.

However, a hand reaches out and holds him to the ground. He turns to see who it is...

Final Page; Iron Man is stuck between the Incredible Hulk, and a very upset (and real) Thor.
What happens in the next issue, then?

Twenty pages of Iron Man getting pounded?

Heh, I want to see what'll happen with the Sentry. The guy has some mental issues and he views the Hulk as his friend. If Tony sends him after the Hulk and Hulk actually stops and tells Sentry what Tony did to him, is it possible Sentry could even join him? If the Sentry decides Tony is manipulating him, Tony is dead.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Just got the new Incredible Hulk. Anyone get the impression that Amadeus could be manipulating everyone, and his true motives are not to help the Hulk? Consider that he blames SHIELD for the death of his parents. Maybe he just wants to hurt SHIELD, and considers helping the Hulk the best way to do this?
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Praxis wrote:
Considering Sentry commonly throws people into the sun when they annoy him...very.

I mean, the Hulk can get as angry as he wants, but if he's flying into the sun it won't do him much good.
It was mentioned in his first miniseries IIRC that he had fought Galactus to a standstill at one point in the past. Hulk's a lot of things, but I don't think he can throw down with Galactus.

That said, it's not clear to what extent Sentry will be taking part in WWH. After Reed and Stark asked for his help he said he would like " a word" with Tony, then he was nowhere to be seen when Hulk showed up.
Although one of the covers for Frontline shows him flying full pelt at Hulk, so who knows.
Praxis wrote:
Anyway, I don't know who I want to see kill Stark more; Peter "If anything happens to my family because I unmask, you'll pay" Parker, Bucky/Winter Soldier, Namor, Hulk, or She-Hulk.

Isn't pretty much half the Marvel U out to kill Tony now?
Namor isn't after Stark, and Bucky only wants to get him because he mistakenly believes he was responsible for Captain America's assassination.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Namor isn't after Stark, and Bucky only wants to get him because he mistakenly believes he was responsible for Captain America's assassination.
Namor highly respected Captain America and is buddy-buddy with Thor and nearly killed Iron Man trying to prevent him from shooting the Hulk off the planet.

He'd side against Tony in a heartbeat given the proper circumstances.

Bucky would be right. Tony was in charge of SHIELD, and SHIELD paraded Captain America in front of the courthouse in plain view of snipers.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I finally got my copy of Iron Man this week, and it was pretty good.

Some people were complaining it was basically a rehash of WWH #1 but I liked seeing Tony's perspective.

Frontline was leagues better than any of the CW:FL issues.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

IH107 made the Hulk seem more sympathetic at the end after Hercules took his beating. If the Hulk can start distinguishing between those that wronged him, those that are his friends, and those that are just innocent bystanders, then I'd wholeheartedly root for him to smash Stark into dust.
Jason B. Romano
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

The WWH X-men tie in shows the Hulk actually learned something in that time meditating with his warbouind buddies.. he didn't start slapping the new X-men around until after he'd given them a warning, a warning given after they'd started assaulting him.

Oh and..

"Question. Can you still control them when they're in Connecticut?" *FLING!*
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

Was Xavier involved with shooting the Hulk into space? I thought he was unconscious or something like that at the time.
Jason B. Romano
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Jason wrote:Was Xavier involved with shooting the Hulk into space? I thought he was unconscious or something like that at the time.
He was MIA after that House of M stuff. Hulk wants to know which way he would have voted. The only reason he starts slapping the New X-men about is because they tried to stop him going to talk to Xavier.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

WWH: Hulk smash puny humans.

Spoilerish for this weeks tie ins.

Did he ever, I think half the MU queued up to get hit in the face by the Hulk this week, the X-men, Juggernaut, The FF, the Avengers (both the real set and Tony's pretenders), Ghost Rider, She Hulk and Sampson with the Initiative + US army coming up for the next round.

It was a thing of beauty to see how he dealt with Richards.

At the current rate the Hulk is going to have to sit down and monologue for two issues because there isn't going to be anybody left capable of standing up past the mid point of issue three.