Dr.Who S29E12 "The Sound Of Drums"

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate ze episode

5 - Very Good
67%
4 - Good
27%
3 - Neither here nor there
7%
2 - Didn't like it
No votes
1 - Biggest pile of bollocks I have ever seen.
No votes

Total votes: 45

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Dr.Who S29E12 "The Sound Of Drums"

Post by Dartzap »

Well, the countdown towards the middle of the end is nigh.... so I thought I'd get this in before Vald or BO :P

And if no one understands the voting options feel free to change 'em, hehe.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

I was really enjoying this episode. Then I saw a floating airfield with 747's landing on it.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Master wins. Damn. What the fuck was that...
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Master knows what the word 'decimate' actually means. Awesome. Still it was pretty much build up, decently entertaining due to Simm's Master but only good if next week deleivers the pay-off.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Ooh, Gallifrey's shiny :) And for those that obsess about such things, they explained how he's back after the TV movie.

Oh, and "Cruciform"?
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Jon wrote:I was really enjoying this episode. Then I saw a floating airfield with 747's landing on it.
Built by a Time Lord. I'm surprised he didn't throw in an FTL drive.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The Master = godly.

Jelly babies and another Captain Scarlet reference. Fuck yeah!

Now the world population is being pruned by a load of feisty Culture drones. Delicious.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Meh, neither good nor bad IMHO.

And Torchwood conviniently out of the picture, though I wonder how much good they would have done or even if they would have sided with Jack. Would have been a fun introduction though.

"So this is your team then Jack?"
"Yeah. He shot me in the head, I killed his girlfriend and I also killed her alien kinda-girlfriend."
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

2000AD wrote:And Torchwood conviniently out of the picture,
Just for mocking the innuendo squad, the Master wins points. And for shooting Jack.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I think it deserves praise for the music and The Master pulling off such a great plan while royally fucking everyone over, something the Daleks and Cybermen did for all of five minutes and even then, they didn't really harm the Doctor.

Course, this does hinge on how it plays out. Looking at the preview, The Master is turning Earth into a nice fortress to "go to war" for whatever purpose. Maybe Gallifrey's leaders should have reconsidered releasing this guy if he's so hell bent on war and so resourceful.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

"You. 'Master' fellow. Go forth and fight a war on the daleks. Here. Have some resources... Think this is a good idea?"
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

Well its nice to see the Timelords looked exactly the same as in the original series. Though one thing i noticed, instead of the seal of Rassilon on there...shoulder things (sorry not sure what to call it) its the same design as the back of the watch. Also the second time the Doctor has been aged by a fair amount of years, however this time he didn't gain a long wispy beard ala Tom Baker.
Could anyone else tell if that was the Cloister bell tolling when they went back into the TARDIS/ Paradox machine?
Grand master in the art of Imaginary warfare and unsociable geography
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

'Genetic material extrapolated, initiate cellular reconstruction' Dalek

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Hitch Hiker wrote:Well its nice to see the Timelords looked exactly the same as in the original series. Though one thing i noticed, instead of the seal of Rassilon on there...shoulder things (sorry not sure what to call it) its the same design as the back of the watch.
Interesting. Maybe it's another Time Lord symbol used by a different group/profession from those in the Panopticon. They did after all, change outfits several times in the series, the guys in the Time Control Room in The Three Doctors are dressed far more practically than they usually are when they're on ceremony in the Panopticon. It was nice to see a black Time Lord.
Also the second time the Doctor has been aged by a fair amount of years, however this time he didn't gain a long wispy beard ala Tom Baker.
Could anyone else tell if that was the Cloister bell tolling when they went back into the TARDIS/ Paradox machine?
That was indeed the Coister Bell.

GONG!

When I saw the red bit, I thought that the Master might simply have reconfigured the console room
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

NecronLord wrote: When I saw the red bit, I thought that the Master might simply have reconfigured the console room
Indeed, so i assume the Paradox machine simply splits open the sky?
Next week it looks as if most of GB will become a missile pad, Jack will run about shooting people and the Doctor...will be de-aged, fight the Master yadda yadda yadda. I hope they show a little bit more of Gallifrey, and perhaps advance the back story between the Doctor and The Master. There phone conversation was a nice touch, would anyone else agree the Master was almost impressed with the Doctor. For the fact he alone destroyed two great peoples while he, the supposed Master hid at the end of the universe....Humans from Utopia to play a part? or merely a plot device that wont trouble us again (my spell check doesn't like the word yadda, an interesiting alternative is Saddam? I'm confused by this)
Grand master in the art of Imaginary warfare and unsociable geography
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

'Genetic material extrapolated, initiate cellular reconstruction' Dalek

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

An interesting observation (read, they started moaning) made on OG is that this kinda tells the whole looming business to go take a running jump.

That'll make Stark happy, right? right?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

President-Elect Winters wrote:First Contact policy was decided by the Secutiry Council in 1968.
Is 1968 significant in Dr Who canon, or did RTD just make that up?
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It's presumbly when a Doctor (the third?) hanged around with UNIT alot.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

That's what I recall. It was when the Daleks and several other bad ETs started taking interest in Earth and UNIT came about.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

UNIT having a flying aircraft carrier like SHIELD and Spectrum was a nice touch and it gave the Master a wonderful vantage point.

I had hearty chuckle about the slow children from Torchwood Three getting stranded in the Himalayas, but I'm puzzled why the Master didn't kill them (although they'd fuck things up more alive instead of dead).

The London SWAT team in this episode looked more menacing than the bumbling lot led by that Welsh bloke from that old Slatheen two parter.

Why did the Master decide to gas his cabinet? All it demonstrated was how bastardly a cunt the Master can often be, when his Utopia fraud stranding thousands of refugees and millions of innocents getting massacred by his Toclafane allies/minions was sufficient enough.

Who are the Toclafane? But they remind me of Culture drones and in next episode's preview they've apparently built a massive base on Earth.

I liked the Master's own Bizarro-screwdriver (very shiny and spikey) and loved his Bizarro-companion (she had a moral indifference that is likely sociopathy), but where is his own Bizarro-TARDIS?

And the first proper view of Gallifrey; I mostly liked it although the Time Lords were a little too rustic and archaic looking (although that brief depiction of Gallifreyian society was not as moronic as Spock being born in a fucking cave).

So the Master has been officially resurrected by the Time Lord athorities for the Time Wars and even witnessed the Dalek Emperor himself entering Gallifrey's inner sanctum.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Jon wrote:I was really enjoying this episode. Then I saw a floating airfield with 747's landing on it.
That stopped you enjoying it? HAHA! That was awesomeasaurus rex. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Big Orange wrote:
Why did the Master decide to gas his cabinet? All it demonstrated was how bastardly a cunt the Master can often be, when his Utopia fraud stranding thousands of refugees and millions of innocents getting massacred by his Toclafane allies/minions was sufficient enough.
Why not? They were only going to get in the way, they had proven themselves to be weasels anyway and since The Master was going to annihilate most of the planet, he may as well start with some of the worst people on the planet. Would we really miss the Cabinet?
Lord Woodlouse wrote:
That stopped you enjoying it? HAHA! That was awesomeasaurus rex. :)
I was going to stop watching when I heard there was time-travel in this series. That REALLY screws with my suspension of disbelief. Flying aircraft carriers? As if.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: Why not? They were only going to get in the way, they had proven themselves to be weasels anyway and since The Master was going to annihilate most of the planet, he may as well start with some of the worst people on the planet. Would we really miss the Cabinet?
Yeah, politicians are selfish scumbags but I don't think elected officials in a democratic government should really be bumped off like that. Besides most of the country was on the "Saxon" bandwagon including even Martha, with her awful mother acting as an informer for the Master's henchmen (although where did the Master get those willing human accomplices in business suits, in addition to his psycho female comapanion he is obviously having sex with?).

The gassing of the Cabinet could've been pinned on the Doctor, Jack and Martha after they tried to confront the Master at Number 10 Downing Street, so there is a notable reason whey they're wanted terrorists - instead its the Master acting like the Joker, with his almost random acts of brutality and murder done in a comical manner.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

I wonder if it's significant that the drumbeat has the same rhythm as the baseline to the DW theme. Probably not.

The Master handing out jelly babies was awesome.

'Though isn't the typical lifespan for a Time Lord regeneration a hell of a lot longer than 100 years? I mean, the Doctor was 953 years old at the beginning of his seventh incarnation, and all but one of his previous incarnations had been cut short well before old age became an issue.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

I'll say what I said at SB, was I the only one happy to see the arrogant twit President Winters get disintegrated. He landed (apparently unannounced) in the UK, started quoting UN mandates while putting out crap like "we can remove you from office", and telling the Army to stand down. Then he says the Presidential Seal is to be used rather than the UN one. The guy was a typical hypocritical politcian and good riddance to him.

Loved how both news channels (BBC and CNN?) were putting their own spin on the arguments between the government.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Although it's always a little hard judging one half of a two parter without the other, I'd say that one was excellent in nearly every respect. A little silly perhaps, but the Master is utterly nuts, and genuinely has the ability and desire to fuck around with an inferior species for personal amusement. Gallifrey stuff was good, tardis key hack was nice, excellent pacing. So did someone else ghost write this and RTD just added some over-the-top humour and stamp his name on it? :)