I saw Roger Waters and The Dark Side of the Moon last night

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

YT300000
Sith'ari

I saw Roger Waters and The Dark Side of the Moon last night

Post by YT300000 »

Has anyone else been lucky enough to attend one of these amazing concerts? As a huge Pink Floyd fan, I'm still in a state of shock. The band was bloody amazing, all 11 members perfectly spot-on; particularly the guitar and sax solos, which were just beautiful. One of the guitarists had a Les Paul with a Floyd Rose whammy bar, which I've never seen before - and that was the least interesting part of the night! If you plan on going in the future, you may not wish to read ahead though, so here's your spoiler warning.

Firstly, I'd like to start by putting my utter amazement in context: I'm by no means a concert-going virgin, I've seen Guns N' Roses, Eric Clapton... Hell, I've seen the fucking Who. But this stands out. The visuals on the huge rear screen were lovely, and it was put to good use right from the start, displaying a radio while pre-concert music played. Every once in a while a cigarette-bearing hand would reach out and change the station, which was also a great segue into Wish You Were Here.

This use of the radio was calming, and lulled us into a nice false sense of security when the show suddenly started. "You!! Bugger!!" slammed us into In The Flesh, complete with the lyrics you can't put on the radio. Shine on You Crazy Diamond and Wish You Were Here were accompanied with a nice visual tribute to Syd Barrett, before the political messages started. The lyrics of Fletcher Memorial Home weren't changed, but Hussein, Bush et al were shown in the video, rounded off with a bit of Roger's solo material.

This was all just a warm-up, however, for Sheep. Right at the beginning of that song, they released a shower of confetti, and the iconic flying pig. This one had glowing red eyes, and all sorts of political messages on it, like "fear builds walls", "all religions divide" and "impeach Bush." The last was of particular note, being on the pig's posterior. Last night I saw a flying pig that said "Impeach Bush" on it's ass.

Not surprisingly, there was quite a bit of marijuana smoking going on at this concert. Following the intermission, I actually got lost trying to get back to my seat, and only got there on the third try. :lol:

And then the show really started with that familiar heartbeat, followed by 42 minutes of pure bliss. Breathe and Time all but put me in a trance, and the visuals for On The Run were basically an acid trip. The racing colours and spirals got so fast, that my eyes went unfocused at one point.

The Great Gig in the Sky just made my hairs stand up on end with the vocalizations, probably the best part. The second-best was during Brain Damage, when the prism suddenly appeared floating in mid-air, a nice use of the laser displays. And just when we thought it couldn't get any better, right as Eclipse starts, light shoots "into" the prism, and the rainbow comes out the other end, and sweeps over the audience. Awesome.

A nice encore of singing along to Another Brick In The Wall Part II, Bring The Boys Back Home and Comfortably Numb polished the show off. Hey! Teacher!! Leave them kids alone!! :D

When I first heard The Dark Side of the Moon, I basically sat in my chair for half an hour afterwards, stunned. This was 10 times better. I'll use a term I coined after that first hearing of The Dark Side of the Moon: eargasm. If you ever have the chance to see this show, do it. Cancel business meetings, don't pick your children up from football practice, just go see it. :wink:
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I first saw Pink Floyd live in November of 1987 at the LA Sports Arena during their first tour for Momentary Lapse of Reason; simply put, it was a transformational experience.

I was unprepared for what an awe inspiring experience it was...I was so young and naive...and under the influence. :D

Seen 'em two more times since then, in 1988 and 1995; the shows weren't quite the same, being held in much larger venues, but I stand firm by the description "The Greatest Show On Earth".

Happy are they that get treated to Echoes live, BTW...

I'm happy for, and jealous of, you, YT30000.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Ah, Echoes... now that's the one song I truly missed from their set. Well, and possibly The Trial, but that's just because I wanted to chant "Tear down the wall!" :lol:

A few of the songs were truncated, though, to fit it all in. It was barely 2 minutes into Shine On You Crazy Diamond before the famous 4 notes rang out. It still gave me goosebumps though, so that's fine.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman