WIP: Imperator-class Star Destroyer in 3DS Max

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Jedilaw
Redshirt

WIP: Imperator-class Star Destroyer in 3DS Max

Post by Jedilaw »

Hello all,

New member here, with a Work-In-Progress that I thought might be of interest to you guys, seeing as how this is a site dedicated to Star Destroyers: It's a greeble-for-greeble reproduction of the 8' Star Destroyer model used in the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I've been working on it since November 2006, and I'd say I'm about halfway done. At any rate, I hope you enjoy it, and comments and constructive crits are always appreciated.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

I'm very impressed, the level of detail is utterly astounding, especially around the bridge superstructure. :shock:

I can't wait to see what it'll be like completed.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

That is very pretty. Keep it up!

What are you planning to use it for, if anything?
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

Feil wrote:That is very pretty. Keep it up!

What are you planning to use it for, if anything?
Local interdiction, suppression of rebellions, that sort of thing... :wink:

HD-quality animations, eventually. The looooong term goal is to create "hero" models of each section, similar to the 10' trench section ILM made, or the enlarged conning tower. That's a far distant kind of thing, of course.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I don't even want to think of how much time you spent in subobject mode...
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Looks like Fractal Sponge has competition!
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Alan Bolte wrote:Looks like Fractal Sponge has competition!
BAH! "The Sponge" shall always reign supream ;)

That said, VERY good work.. .Do I see some guns in that trench? It would be interesting to see weapon placements other than the main ones shown in movie.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

That's beautiful work.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

Not competition, no. Fractalsponge's ISD will always be kick-ass, IMHO. Actually, He's been helping me quite a bit with this project. No one knows the 8' ISD better than he does, except some of the old-timers at ILM (most of whom have left).

As for there being guns in the trench, I have not added any details to the trench area that do not exist on the model. There are quite a few turrets mounted in the trench area (and elsewhere), they just don't have barrells attached to them. And there are quite a few sets of gun barrells spread around, just not attached to turrets. Go figure.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

That's absolutely mind blowing! Really, really gorgeous, I'm impressed! Good work!
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

That's extremely impressive. :shock: Mindblowingly so.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Jedilaw wrote:
Not competition, no. Fractalsponge's ISD will always be kick-ass, IMHO. Actually, He's been helping me quite a bit with this project. No one knows the 8' ISD better than he does, except some of the old-timers at ILM (most of whom have left).

As for there being guns in the trench, I have not added any details to the trench area that do not exist on the model. There are quite a few turrets mounted in the trench area (and elsewhere), they just don't have barrells attached to them. And there are quite a few sets of gun barrells spread around, just not attached to turrets. Go figure.
I assume you're aware, but a lot of those parts are off of King George V battleship kits. Presumably that could help you in a reference sense.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Excellent work Jedilaw - can we look forward to more of this sort of high-quality work?
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

rhoenix wrote:Excellent work Jedilaw - can we look forward to more of this sort of high-quality work?

Thanks, rhoenix, and thanks to all the others who have offered appreciation/encouragement/statements of Fractalsponge's obvious and eternal domination.

I will post periodic updates as the project continues. What I've shown so far is up-to-date, as the last area I completed was the engines (some minor details remain, but I'll likely move on for a while and return).
Howedar wrote:I assume you're aware, but a lot of those parts are off of King George V battleship kits. Presumably that could help you in a reference sense.

Thanks for that. I was indeed aware of the prominence of the King George V's parts among the ISD greebles, and I've been looking over available references for that ship to facilitate my greeble modeling for the ISD.

One day, someone ought to do a kitbash parts ID for the ISD similar to what the Millenium Falcon Builders Group is doing on Yahoo Groups for the Falcon. That someone would necessarily have to have a lot more time and patience than I have. Still, it would be nice to see such an index.
None of the behind-the-scenes materials I've read lead me to believe that ISD compiled one when they built the 8' model (not that they had a need to do so at the time).
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

Update (yes, the panels are modelled, not textured):

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Looking good. What´s your poly count?
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

If all of the greebles are visible, 1.4 million roughly, but that's a little misleading since you'd never see the engine details at the same time as the terrace details.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

How are you going to texture this monster? Are there good procedural solutions out there for ISDs or are you going to paint all that stuff?
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

Straight procedural, with different materials having slightly different shades of gray. There's no weathering to speak of on the studio model, nor do there appear to have been a lot of ink washes, though possibly some dry brushing. No real need for a texture, in other words.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

But a worn out ISD that has gone through hundreds of battles in its lifetime would be really cool... :) It might also require twice the time you´d need for the model, but still.
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

Still not worn down, but it does have a lot more panels now:

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Very nice. Is the panel method automated somehow, and if so, how closely does it match the studio model?
Pollux
Padawan Learner

Post by Pollux »

I think I... I...

*regains composure*

Very
well done. I bow to you.
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

Howedar wrote:Very nice. Is the panel method automated somehow, and if so, how closely does it match the studio model?
No automation, all manually cut. This is not an exact replica of the studio model's panels, more of an "in the style of" kind of thing. However, I have tried to preserve some of the more notable aspects of the paneling, such as the way the panels follow the hull outline, the way they frame the "notches" in the hull, etc.