Todays forcast: Light drizzle and slightly damp (UK Summer)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Todays forcast: Light drizzle and slightly damp (UK Summer)

Post by Dartzap »

Beeb
Trapped man dies amid flood chaos
A man who became trapped in a flooded drain has died, as heavy rains continue to fall across England and Wales.

Rescuers had battled to free the man in Hull, where officials declared a state of emergency amid torrential downpours.

Severe weather and flood warnings are in force in many areas. The worst rain is expected in Yorks and Lincs, where more than 120 schools have been closed.

Forecasters say there could be up to a month's rainfall in the next 24 hours and more flooding than in recent days.

Rail disruption

South-east England escaped the worst downpours, with rain only delaying the start of play at Wimbledon.

Music fans leaving the site of the Glastonbury Festival in Somerset - parts of which were left awash after heavy rain throughout the three-day event - have been experiencing more wet conditions and delays as they head home.

On the railways, Central Trains, Chiltern Railways, First Capital Connect, First Great Western, Transpennine Express and Virgin Trains have all warned of disruption to services due to the weather.

Forecasters said that June's average rainfall of about 50mm could fall in many places over the next 24 hours.

An area stretching from north-east Wales through the north Midlands, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire will see more than 25mm of rain, with up to 75mm in a few parts.

Phil Rothwell, head of flood defence at the Environment Agency, said the "unprecedented weather systems" were causing "very difficult circumstances".

The man who has died in Hull had become trapped in neck-deep water when he went to help his grandfather clear a flooded drain in the Hessle area.

Glenn Ramsden, from Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, said the man slipped and got his foot caught in a metal grate.

Rescuers, including police divers, spent several hours battling to free the man, thought to be his 20s, but were unable to save him.

Mr Ramsden said: "It's been an absolutely desperate operation to save this man, but at the end of the day we couldn't do it."

In Lincolnshire, a nine-year-old boy was rescued by passers-by from the swollen River Lud in Louth.

Howard Barraclough told BBC Lincolnshire that one of his fellow rescuers had almost been pulled under the water.

And in Derbyshire, a rescue helicopter and fire crews were travelling to Staveley after reports of a man stuck up a tree.

Homes evacuated

Meanwhile, dozens of people were evacuated from their homes in Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and the Halton area of Leeds.

About 100 people in Lowdham, Nottinghamshire, 60 homes and businesses in Louth, Lincolnshire and 70 houses in the Halton area of Leeds were affected, with occupants moving to emergency centres.

In Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, the fire service has been inundated with reports of flood water entering cellars in shops and homes, and in nearby Gloucester fire crews rescued 50 dogs and 20 cats stranded in kennels.

Further south in Bideford, north Devon, heavy rain caused streams to overflow their banks, flooding properties.

Schools are being advised to close early in Shropshire and many across the country could remain closed on Tuesday.

The Environment Agency has issued 11 severe flood warnings and 80 standard flood warnings.

Severe warnings are in place in north-east England, the Midlands and over much of the east of the country.

BBC Weather forecaster Matt Taylor said: "For many areas the rain will remain heavy and persistent, coupled with strong winds - a truly miserable day."

The weather will be mostly cloudy elsewhere, with scattered showers. There could be some sunny spells in western Scotland.

The South East will see the highest temperatures of about 18C.

The rain will ease and move towards the South East later on, clearing all areas soon after dawn.
Typical British summer, eh?

It's tragic about the bloke getting killed - the emergecny services were trying bloody hard as well.

Thankfully they seem to be doing a good job in managing the various situations around the country. It's not been too bad down here - just constant heavy rain, which is draining rapidly.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I think this week would have been an apt time to release Evan Almighty.

I've lived here all my life and I've never known rain like this.
Spearfish
Youngling

Post by Spearfish »

Tell me about it. I've just spent the last three days doing Karate in a field in north Somerset, and this is the first time I've been dry since Friday. Absolutely torrential, as bad as the storm we had last week that flooded a nearby coastal town.

And my Gi is now a nice shade of mud brown.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

According to the news it's been the wettest month on record though I don't know if that was for the country or just for Yorkshire.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Fuck Yorkshire. We're getting soaked west of the Pennines and it's annoying. I don't care if you're falling down manholes or stuck on the roof of your office block, I'm getting wet walking the dog. Daily.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

And the real pisstake. I'm in fucking Aberdeen and it ain't been all that bad. :P
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Perhaps I am missing something, but at the beginning of June we had 1.82 inches (like 45mm right) in 2 days. I wasn't even really noticeable, just gloomy. Have you been having multiple days of this weather? Or do you simply have really bad water drainage as this weather is unusual? Some of us non-brits need the situation explained, because when you say bad weather, us in the Midwest often end up scratching our heads.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Well, there's 22 Severe Flood Warnings
Severe Flood Warning
This is the warning issued when serious flooding is expected and there is imminent danger to life and property. If your warning is upgraded to this you should be prepared for your gas, electricity, water, and telephone supplies being lost, you're advised to keep calm and reassure others, and co-operate with the emergency services.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh no... Nitram's grandparents are in Nr. Cheltenham.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Flakin
Jedi Knight

Post by Flakin »

Give it two weeks though and there will still be a drought, hosepipe bans and a record low water table according to the authorities.

The recent weather has hastened my parents' retirement plan. They're determined to move to Greece in the next year now. They've had enough.
EBC: Mississippi Division Sleeper Unit "The Sad Weimaraners".
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Sheffield is getting its arse kicked, its a little odd to see roads I drive on every day completely underwater on international TV.

Christ, I drive under those collapsed buildings nearly every day!

I kinda glad there were giant flood puddles blocking exit from my village.....

Rotherham(south yorkshire) is being evacuated in parts due to the Dam at Ulley having huge feck off chunks missing!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Is it just me or has the UK been plagued more and more frequently by these mass floodings in the last few years? Or did I just not notice them before?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

SiegeTank wrote:Is it just me or has the UK been plagued more and more frequently by these mass floodings in the last few years? Or did I just not notice them before?
This is the first time there's been a spectacular amount of them, there has been one or two localised floods down in Cornwall in the last few years, but this is certainly the most we've had in the last decade or so.

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

It's not been too bad here. I've never been so happy to live atop a hill, near no major water courses though.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Vanas wrote:It's not been too bad here. I've never been so happy to live atop a hill, near no major water courses though.
Yeah, building on reclaimed land is gonna really bite some (five million) people in the arse.

Hooray for living on hills!

Lisa
Jedi Knight

Post by Lisa »

We need some rain over here on this side of the pond, my grass is burnt to a crisp.
May you live in interesting times.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Can we in the U.S. make "Britain stole our rain" jokes yet?

More seriously, this really is disheartening, especially considering the ongoing droughts here in the SE United States right now.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

And, dispite the fact the fact that thousands of home are utterly fucked, and millions of quids worth of damage has been created. the people up there still are not panicking, being hysterical and generally running around like headless chickens. Good for them.

It's nice to see our stoism isnt gone, merely kept locked away for rainy days (groan)

Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Is this global warming related? It's the first thing that comes to mind, for me, but I thought that was a long-term issue that would slowly ramp up rather a sudden 'hey, guys, you've got a monsoon season now, didn't you know?' sort of thing.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:Is this global warming related? It's the first thing that comes to mind, for me, but I thought that was a long-term issue that would slowly ramp up rather a sudden 'hey, guys, you've got a monsoon season now, didn't you know?' sort of thing.
Ramping up isn't a continuous process; it's not like the seasonal rainfall average will increase by 0.5 cm per year every year. Rather, ramping up simply means the long-term average will increase over time. The frequency of monster monsoon seasons will increase and the frequency of drought years will decrease as the area as a whole gradually becomes wetter. As an example, take a look at the US gulf coast hurricane statistics. Some years are far more violent than others -- 2005 was the worst in years; 2006 was a dud -- but on the whole hurricane seasons are slowly becoming increasingly stormy.

Now, I'm not sure if your water problems are global warming-related, mind you, but I wouldn't be surprised.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I couldn't believe it this morning. Getting ready to go out, I had GMTV on just as they had a guy in a helo reporting on the Ulley dam about to fail and literally submerge a whole town, when Fiona Philips interrupts saying they now cut live to LA where PARIS HILTON IS RELEASED FROM PRISON.

Because the destruction of a major sewage plant, power station, three villages, a whole chunk of the M1 and a large town cannot compare to some airhead American slut NOT-serving her time in jail. :roll:
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Large scale floods and constant rain. Lovely timing for a 8 day hike through the lake district as I flee the humidity here :x
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Dark Hellion wrote:Perhaps I am missing something, but at the beginning of June we had 1.82 inches (like 45mm right) in 2 days. I wasn't even really noticeable, just gloomy. Have you been having multiple days of this weather? Or do you simply have really bad water drainage as this weather is unusual? Some of us non-brits need the situation explained, because when you say bad weather, us in the Midwest often end up scratching our heads.
The places with thousands evacuated and tens of millions to hundreds of millions in damages had twice that in 12 hours after one of the wettest months on record. If you don't see how that is something of an issue, I suggest you come over here and explain it to the thousands affected.

I mean, Katrina wasn't even anything to really write home about as it made landfall, yet it sank a city. One does not need a super-storm to hit to cause damage to places already vulnerable from constant bad weather recently and with defences not meant to take such a strain ordinarily.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Dark Hellion wrote:Perhaps I am missing something, but at the beginning of June we had 1.82 inches (like 45mm right) in 2 days. I wasn't even really noticeable, just gloomy. Have you been having multiple days of this weather? Or do you simply have really bad water drainage as this weather is unusual? Some of us non-brits need the situation explained, because when you say bad weather, us in the Midwest often end up scratching our heads.
The places with thousands evacuated and tens of millions to hundreds of millions in damages had twice that in 12 hours after one of the wettest months on record. If you don't see how that is something of an issue, I suggest you come over here and explain it to the thousands affected.

I mean, Katrina wasn't even anything to really write home about as it made landfall, yet it sank a city. One does not need a super-storm to hit to cause damage to places already vulnerable from constant bad weather recently and with defences not meant to take such a strain ordinarily.

Add to that the Water table across the whole of the UK is the highest it's been for a long time due to the long hosepipe ban.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Ok, so you have had wet weather the whole month, plus a couple inches over the past couple days. That makes sense for the flooding then. We don't get British extended forcasts over here you know, so when you post you got 4 inches of rain and it causes major flooding, it seems weird. I live in the Quad Cities, in Illinois, on the fucking Mississippi, so flooding is sorta a fact of life here. Giving us out in hicksville perspective is important sometimes.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!