Dr. Who Ep. 2913: Last Of The Time Lords [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate The Episode

35%
37%
20%
4%
4%

Total votes: 46

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Dr. Who Ep. 2913: Last Of The Time Lords [Spoilers]

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

In under an hour it starts, the finale which seems to be running for 50 minutes. Should be interesting, since The Master has essentially conquered the Earth.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

And the cast are doing The Weakest Link right now. This better be good...
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

"I win"

Perfection. Even with the prayer crap and the half-a-reset button.

And Jack's goodbye was made of infinite awesome.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

What? What?

I love those Christmas Special introduction things...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Those Bastards killed the Master.

Plus wasn't Eccleston's Doctor on the Titantic? I would love to see him back in a 'crossing your own timeline' style event. But I don't thnik it will happen.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Best episode since the revival by far, IMO.

Especially liked the ending lead-in to the Christmas Special being the same as at the end of Doomsday.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Those Bastards killed the Master.
Great funeral, though. I take it you spotted the quick cut of the hand at the pyre?
Plus wasn't Eccleston's Doctor on the Titantic? I would love to see him back in a 'crossing your own timeline' style event. But I don't thnik it will happen.
Clung onto the iceberg, didn't he?
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Crazedwraith wrote: Plus wasn't Eccleston's Doctor on the Titantic? I would love to see him back in a 'crossing your own timeline' style event. But I don't thnik it will happen.
Was wondering who else would notice that, would be cool to have another multiple Doctor story.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

[quote="Bounty"]Great funeral, though. I take it you spotted the quick cut of the hand at the pyre?

Yeah, the Master is one of those ten-thousand-contingency-plans type guys. Harder to kill than Cobra Commander, that guy.

Concerning Eccleston, I thought his Doctor only persuaded a couple folks not to board? I don't it ever being stated that he was on the trip, although I might be mistaken...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Who the hell is voting 3 and 1? Did they sleep through the ep?

The design of the Toclafane, the post-Master world, the bits with Jack, the ending - I need to see this again. I don't know how they're going to top this finale, if at all.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bounty wrote:"I win"

Perfection. Even with the prayer crap and the half-a-reset button.
Eh. I can live with a reset button when it comes out and says 'Paradox machine' and so on. Also, on an SDN specific note "Five hundred megajoules" - Yay. A sensible number. And alas, the prayer makes plenty of sense: Faith holding up haemovores in The Curse of Fenric, for example. This was telepathy on a much grander scale.

The withered Asgard Doctor was... interesting...
And Jack's goodbye was made of infinite awesome.
So... The Face of Boe did indeed give that stupidly useless message for kicks and timeline preservation. :lol:

Called it on Utopia.

The LazLabs ring appears to be special after all.

Ecclestone's Doctor only warned people off the Titanic. I don't think it was specified that he was on it.
Last edited by NecronLord on 2007-06-30 03:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Ecclestone's Doctor only warned people off the Titanic. I don't think it was specified that he was on it.
He told Jabe in EotW he was on a "unsinkable ship" and clung to an iceberg. Could've been a different one, I s'pose...
So... The Face of Boe did indeed give that stupidly useless message for kicks and timeline preservation.
I loved that. Loved it, loved it, loved it. It's sooo Jack to pick a name like that, it fit perfectly but it came completely out of the blue. Loved it.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Bounty wrote:Who the hell is voting 3 and 1? Did they sleep through the ep?
I voted 3. It wasn't bad but I didn't think it was that good either.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Big WTF?! episode. Fun, but the reset button was brought out. Again. And The Master was defeated by silly prayer crap. Dobby Doctor was funny though.

Other fun things that hurt my mind include Jack being the Face of Boe as well as Capt. Scarlet, Ming appearing at The Master's Force ghost making funeral pyre and the whole Titanic ramming the TARDIS. Oh, the doctor Martha liked look a bit like a younger Jack from Lost. And I expected Martha would leave, but I see her coming back soon. The whole paradox machine thing was well done at least, having a creepy far future humanity fuck over 21st century Earth so they can form a mother of all empires is probably as grandiose a plan as it comes. I did expect them to try and find a way to escape our dying universe like the Xeelee and invade different parallel universe branes. Ah well.

I wonder what UNIT will do with the Valiant, since they didn't have that airship until The Master designed it for the MoD.

The second "What? What?!" Xmas Special teaser is curious. I'd love to see how a real cruise liner rams the TARDIS and what that looks like outside. Is it damned because it's the Titanic, or because they have zombies? Who knows?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I did expect them to try and find a way to escape our dying universe like the Xeelee and invade different parallel universe branes. Ah well.
Well... who says they didn't, that they won't try, or indeed, won't, in the end? The Beast claims to have done such a thing, after all.
I wonder what UNIT will do with the Valiant, since they didn't have that airship until The Master designed it for the MoD.
Use it to protect the Earth, same as before?
The second "What? What?!" Xmas Special teaser is curious. I'd love to see how a real cruise liner rams the TARDIS and what that looks like outside. Is it damned because it's the Titanic, or because they have zombies? Who knows?
Maybe it escaped from another part of the TARDIS. :twisted:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

"I Win"
Fucking AWESOME. Even though there's foreshadings of his return, he's right. He finally got one up on The Doctor.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I just checked and as the Master said, I Can't Decide is indeed track 3 on Ta-Dah. Now that's research :)
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

One thing that struck me as odd is how did the Face of Boe / Jack die if he's...y'know...all Captain Scarlet-y. It's been a while since I saw Gridlock, but he did die then, right?

I can see Martha popping up to help the Doctor whenever he's pottering around modern day Earth. Still, I'd have liked it if she stayed around, she was a good companion.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmm.. I'm not sure to how to rate this one. It has lots of awesome. John Simm's Master (if they bring him back it better be as John Simm) Jack as the Face of Boe. The Doctor's patented 'no killing' resolution and the "I forgive you." All great.

And yet the 'one year later', the Parting of the Ways like DEM of the people praying to the Doctor and the Master's girl betraying him for no apparent reason were less good. Plus the whole thing just didn't feel epic to me. In the way of the swarming of the Daleks and Cybermen did. This three parter shouldn't have tried for epic I think. They could have done a much more impressive episode if it had been a small perosnal conflict between the Master and the Doctor, emphasising the whole last of the time lords thing.

So 3/5 I think. Awesome but highly irregularly. An episode can't be that good if you find the chrismas special lead in the most intresting part of the episode.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

It's been a while since I saw Gridlock, but he did die then, right?
Old age? He was getting grey hairs. Rose's effect must've worn off after a few billion years.
I can see Martha popping up to help the Doctor whenever he's pottering around modern day Earth. Still, I'd have liked it if she stayed around, she was a good companion.
I'm guessing they want to do a companion-less Christmas Special and bring her back later. She wasn't planning on leaving, was she?
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

the Master's girl betraying him for no apparent reason were less good.
The same reason Jack could boss around the Master's bodyguards: the hypnosis had stopped. Even before that, she obviously didn't like what he did to his prisoners - she was saying "Doctor" along with the others.

And did she have bruises on her face in the first half of the episode?
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Bounty wrote:
I'm guessing they want to do a companion-less Christmas Special and bring her back later. She wasn't planning on leaving, was she?
According to the tabloids she won't be a series regular next season, though will be in a few episodes. Apparently there'll be a male companion.

I liked this episode, top notch. Simm was superb, good while he lasted.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Ghetto edit: I'm an idiot. The Master's girl betraying him - that was his contingency plan. It was her hand picking up the ring!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Crazedwraith wrote:the Parting of the Ways like DEM of the people praying to the Doctor
It wasn't very Parting of the Ways esque. All he did was a bit of telekinesis. Rose, God of Thunder, would have disintegrated the Master with fireballs from her ass. They still had to destroy the Paradox and so on the old fashioned way.
and the Master's girl betraying him for no apparent reason were less good.
I'm pretty sure she picked the ring up at the end. I'd not be surprised if she shot him in order to retrieve him later.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

I severely disliked the reset. That's the bollocks you get when you have such a large scale thread, and a contemporary setting. *le sigh*

Ah well, I still enjoyed it.

Nice to see Valiant still survived. I hope we get to see it again. I personally think the Master's ring was used so they can pick between having Simm back or not, depending on him being available.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...