Dr. Who Ep. 2913: Last Of The Time Lords [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate The Episode

35%
37%
20%
4%
4%

Total votes: 46

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Oooh. I forgot.

Everybody Lives, Rose

Except the President of the US.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That's frakkin' hilarious. Only person who really died (I'm counting Simm-Master as an unknown here, what with the whole Ming thing and him being ever the sneaky bastard) was the arrogant POTUS.

I'm hoping that next season they DON'T use the reset button and invasion of Earth shtick again. It's gotten done to death now, by the three main villains. Let's leave it at that, afterall, The Master did succeed and was doing fine for a whole two and a half years before Martha and The Doc hit the reset button. Easy come, easy go...

I'm now wondering who or what will be the main villain next time. Daleks and Cybers are all but extinct, The Master had a good go, so who can be next?

TEH CANDYMAN!!!1! Beware, children, as he DIPS PLANET EARTH IN CANDEH!!1

Err, maybe not.

Anyone else wish the rest of the crew of Torchwood Three were still in the Himalayas and eaten by a yeti?

PS.

The OST needs to come out now. Too much good music in the final three parter.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

That's frakkin' hilarious. Only person who really died (I'm counting Simm-Master as an unknown here, what with the whole Ming thing and him being ever the sneaky bastard) was the arrogant POTUS.
And the entire Uk Cabinet...

I still don't understand why the goons switch sides though... :? . When they rewind back one year and one day Archangel is still fully up and running making everyone all nice and docile - and the Master was surrounded by what would clearly be his most faithful guards and they're all like "OK Jack we'll take orders from you and screw our master..." .

But I'm not going to bitch and whine too much - the episode had some cool elements and though not being up to the standards of some of the former episodes their standard is extremly high and it is still the best event on British Television.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Guid wrote:I still don't understand why the goons switch sides though... :? . When they rewind back one year and one day Archangel is still fully up and running making everyone all nice and docile - and the Master was surrounded by what would clearly be his most faithful guards and they're all like "OK Jack we'll take orders from you and screw our master..." .
I actually said 'Why does he even bother with humans' when I saw them. He's got six billion doom-balls.
But I'm not going to bitch and whine too much - the episode had some cool elements and though not being up to the standards of some of the former episodes their standard is extremly high and it is still the best event on British Television.
I agree. It could have been better; it might have been more interesting if the entire world remembered, instead of just the Jones family. That aspect of the reset annoys me...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
frogcurry
Padawan Learner

Post by frogcurry »

I give it "2". The only part I liked really was the Ming the Merciless rip-off return strategy for the Master, but even that is a bit spoilt by the fact that the masters totty is turned into nothing but a means for his reincarnation/ return rather than a character in her own right.

Big massive resets = poor plotting and an overreaching first part in the storyline...

Oh, and the face of boe reveal was kind of cool.
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

Well thats an interesting turn up for the books...Titanic. I wounder if they watched any Tom Baker? Because he clearly tells Borosa in 'The Invasion Of Time' that he had nothing to do with the ships sinking....six incarnations on and he is possibly the cause. I wounder why he activated the exterior microphone AND the deadlock seals while simply de-materializing?
POSSIBLE plot arch for the next series...did anyone else notice how the camera lingered on that white board behind Dr Milligan after he had walked out of frame? could anyone tell whats was written on it?
Grand master in the art of Imaginary warfare and unsociable geography
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

'Genetic material extrapolated, initiate cellular reconstruction' Dalek

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I have to say I liked the way the doomballs were handled. When they first open the thing and it turns out they're the Utopia humans at first I felt for them, but then the damned thing turned around and went "because it's fun!", and that alone was enough for me to go from naught to 'holy shit purge the xenos!' mode in 0.5 seconds.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

NecronLord wrote:
The Guid wrote:I still don't understand why the goons switch sides though... :? . When they rewind back one year and one day Archangel is still fully up and running making everyone all nice and docile - and the Master was surrounded by what would clearly be his most faithful guards and they're all like "OK Jack we'll take orders from you and screw our master..." .
I actually said 'Why does he even bother with humans' when I saw them. He's got six billion doom-balls.
What did the Combine need with Overwatch transhumans, what did the Daleks need with Robomen or Pigslaves? The Toclafane could only fly about and splatter people, the Master still had many industries running on Earth and a gigantic slave population to police so that was what the human troopers were for - I also thought they defected too suddenly, but they were perhaps former UNIT soldiers stationed on the Valiant and not as loyal as the Master's other henchmen seen last episode (who were maybe among the crews onboard his fleet).

I also noticed that the Master had another emblem (it was seen on the janitor uniform worn by Martha's dad and additionally seen on the Valient's recently installed monitors). The Master is a perv as well - he desired that Lucy Saxon would have sex with a concubine :twisted: (the Master lording over his grisly court and tormenting his captives strongly reminded me of Jaffa's palace from Aladdin).

And the reset was expected if the entire planet was turned into a shipyard-cum-death camp for a whole year and the Master's grand plan of taking over the entire Universe from a backwater planet sounded barmy anyway.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

SiegeTank wrote:I have to say I liked the way the doomballs were handled. When they first open the thing and it turns out they're the Utopia humans at first I felt for them, but then the damned thing turned around and went "because it's fun!", and that alone was enough for me to go from naught to 'holy shit purge the xenos!' mode in 0.5 seconds.
They're kids. Kids are cruel. Especially in large groups. When I was in school, barely a day went by when I didn't attack someone, or be attacked by them. If I'd had rayguns, and a nice depersonalising machine-shell...

Besides, they're not 'xenos.' :P
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Big Orange wrote:What did the Combine need with Overwatch transhumans,
Lost on me. Half-life?
what did the Daleks need with Robomen or Pigslaves?
Numbers, which, oh wait, the Toclafane had in great store.
The Toclafane could only fly about and splatter people,
Assuming they don't have manipulator arms, or can't get them...
the Master still had many industries running on Earth and a gigantic slave population to police so that was what the human troopers were for - I also thought they defected too suddenly, but they were perhaps former UNIT soldiers stationed on the Valiant and not as loyal as the Master's other henchmen seen last episode (who were maybe among the crews onboard his fleet).

The Master is a perv as well - he desired that Lucy Saxon would have sex with a concubine :twisted: (the Master lording over his grisly court and tormenting his captives strongly reminded me of Jaffa's palace from Aladdin).
You think that's perverse? Hell, you think there's something wrong with that?

He burns Japan, and you're bothering to complain about his trying to persuade women to have threesomes with him? I hope that's a joke.
And the reset was expected if the entire planet was turned into a shipyard-cum-death camp for a whole year and the Master's grand plan of taking over the entire Universe from a backwater planet sounded barmy anyway.
Backwater? Are you kidding? It gets invaded annually. Primative, yes. Backwater, no.
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

Wait a second...How far back did the time reversal go? Wasn't it just after the President was killed. So surely the TARDIS is still set up for Paradox mode and about to go off....?
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Hitch Hiker wrote:Wait a second...How far back did the time reversal go? Wasn't it just after the President was killed. So surely the TARDIS is still set up for Paradox mode and about to go off....?
I assume it went back to 8:02, when the Paradox started. My video tape had ran out by that point, (grr) so I can't check.
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

Even if thats the case, only the events of the year of Master in charge of all would have happened...but the TARDIS had been wired up for well, a year at best so surely it would have started all over again? Or is my grasp of paradox's not as good as i would like to hope?
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hitch Hiker wrote:Even if thats the case, only the events of the year of Master in charge of all would have happened...but the TARDIS had been wired up for well, a year at best so surely it would have started all over again? Or is my grasp of paradox's not as good as i would like to hope?
Jack destroyed the paradox machine, which cause the revision. Presumbly though, as it was 'in the eye of the Storm' the paradox machine stayed wrecked. So it couldn't happen all over again.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Naturally. If the Valiant was subject to the time-reversal, then no one would have known anything and the whole event would play out again like some sick Groundhog Day. For all intents and purposes, Valiant and everyone on-board was cut off from the time-line as the continuum repaired itself. So the anomalies are really that they have a new airship, the Jones and crew along with the Doc and Master all know of a year that didn't happen and an invasion that wasn't to be. Aside from that, everything else not directly linked to those critical events on-board was reverted.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

The existence of the Valiant isn't an anomaly; after all, it was built before the Master activated the Paradox machine.

Did anyone notice the bruises on Lucy Saxon's face (around her right eye); Anothe hint at the evil of the Master, and a reason for her to join in the psychic chant although that's almost certainly just the Master's contingency escape plan.

As for the episode not being epic enough, perhaps that was deliberate? the previous two finales featured the 'world-changing' events heavily; this one was more personal.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Flakin
Jedi Knight

Post by Flakin »

How come the Paradox Machine couldn't be touched in the last episode in case it "blew up the sun", but somehow in this episode it was OK for Captain Scarlett to go running in and pepper it with bullets? I knew that there would be a reset button, too much had changed to let things stay the same, and the very presence of said "Paradox Machine" kinda pointed it out.

Really, this episode was a resounding meh for me. The Ming ending was really telegraphed too. The Master? Dead? When earlier on in the episode it was clearly stated that was the one single thing he'd never let happen?

3 out of 5. And it would of been a 2 apart from the Jack / Face of Boe connection.

Oh well, we'll see what happens at Christmas.
EBC: Mississippi Division Sleeper Unit "The Sad Weimaraners".
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I'm now wondering who or what will be the main villain next time. Daleks and Cybers are all but extinct, The Master had a good go, so who can be next?

TEH CANDYMAN!!!1! Beware, children, as he DIPS PLANET EARTH IN CANDEH!!1
Better hope UNIT's been stocking up on lemonade.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Vegi
Redshirt

Post by Vegi »

The Last of The Time Lords was the only episode this season I really didn't like. It had so many holes, it just didn't pan out like I hoped it would.

Come on! The Doctor burns The Master? And just leaves him!?! Did he forget that Time Lords can regenerate post-mortem? Did he forget that The Master has survived being nothing but ash before? (see 1996 movie). The Doctor himself said it, The Master doesn't kill himself. He had to have known that The Master would just wait until The Doctor left and then regenerate or steal a body.

Jack is The Face of Boe? Cool twist....except that's a pretty big retcon since it was already established in season 2 that Boe is a different species.

On the Titanic? This makes him cross his own past. Tom Baker, and Jon Pertwee have both mentioned being aboard the Titanic at some point.

I would have thought a great ending would be to toss The Master into the Time War along with the orbs...which would promptly be obliterated in the crossfire between the Daleks and Time Lords. That would be a good way to preserve The Doctors integrity of no-kill solution, and it would have not made him come off as an idiot who could obviously tell The Master had survived. They were obviously going for an 'epic' feel with this episode, but it just didn't work. I felt this would have been a good solution. Now I'm sure some would say 'oh god, not the daleks again!' but I would argue that it would only be a cameo appearance and wouldn't be something to complain about.

Ugh....this episode just frustrates me because it ends an otherwise great season on such a sour note.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Whoa whoa whoa, don't get me started. I don't want to talk about it. I think I'll rename this episode 'moral cowardice' or 'writers pulpit' or something.

I will say it had one high-point, though. They finally ejected the abortion of a companion, Martha Jones. What a worthless exercise that was.
Vegi
Redshirt

Post by Vegi »

That is true....however, that small high point is torn away by the fact that it's been confirmed the Martha character will be in a few episodes next year. :(
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

How come the Paradox Machine couldn't be touched in the last episode in case it "blew up the sun", but somehow in this episode it was OK for Captain Scarlett to go running in and pepper it with bullets?
Last week, the machine had been charging up for god-knows-how-long to make the paradox, but a year later is was just idling to keep the paradox running. I think.
Ugh.
Oh, you just hate everything. Martha a bad companion? "Ugh" as a comment? Got anything less substantial to say?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I hope they don't regenerate the Master again. A new actor would suck. I'd prefer they keep the current dude.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

I gave it a 3. Liked a lot of it, however the prayer thing is so fucking lame that on it alone it loses 2 points. As for the rest, fun reset fare...

Did anyone get the sense with the entire "picking up ring thing" combined with monkey comments that perhaps its all been a big misdirection - that Lucy is actually the Master and what we thought of as the Master being some sort of clone puppet - especially dying from a single bullet like that - is regeneration even a voluntary ability? Whenever we see the Master really acting out Lucy has a vacant look, especially in this "1 year later" phase. I know this is a bit of a stretch, but the little clues are pulling me into that direction of thinking...