Dr. Who Ep. 2913: Last Of The Time Lords [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate The Episode

35%
37%
20%
4%
4%

Total votes: 46

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

To be entirely fair, Shrimp-Doctor had a miniature suit too. Chameleon Circuit Clothing. The only way to dress.

Though the Master phoning up an order for a suit for an infant and a large birdcage was a missed opportunity.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

I'm still not sure what the gollum-doctor thing was. Was it a massively aged 10th Doctor? Was it one, as the dialogue suggests, one with 900s 'years gone'?
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

... and because I forgot.

Why didn't the Doctor regenerate from that frail state? It was obviously a massive physical trauma and would have resulted him being in a state where he could have actually done something.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Parallax wrote:I'm still not sure what the gollum-doctor thing was. Was it a massively aged 10th Doctor? Was it one, as the dialogue suggests, one with 900s 'years gone'?
Apparently the Master somehow took him to his chronological age in one body: I'm not sure if he *really* suppressed the regenerations (since he still looked like Gollum-Tennant) or simply aged Tennant's body to 1000+. We don't know if he could have regenerated out of it: clearly TL's can suppress their regenerations (particularly if your stupid useless bitch is going to resurrect you anyway lol) and the Doctor had his cowardly, outrageously risky moral-highground plan to unfold, so he wouldn't have WANTED to regenerate anyway. After all, they could have simply had the guards betray and kill the Master at any time and blow up the Machine, so.. .. .. .. .. :)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Parallax wrote:... and because I forgot.

Why didn't the Doctor regenerate from that frail state? It was obviously a massive physical trauma and would have resulted him being in a state where he could have actually done something.
God knows. That got me when I was watching it. I would have liked to see... say, Richard E Grant getting a shot at playing the Doctor briefly.

As for the Doctor's 'cowardly' no killing plan. Damn right. Whatever happened to "no second chances, that's the kind of man I am," and "The anger of the Time Lord was terrible..." :roll:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

So ... did he store his essence in the ring, is that it?

Damn it, I really don't want a new actor for the Master. I can't emphasize that enough. The Tenth Doctor's slightly manic/unbridled enthusiasm is mirrored perfectly by Simms Master, and it'd be a shame to lose that.

I really liked the entire "playing track three" scene. The wheelchair shot was just classic.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Vympel wrote:So ... did he store his essence in the ring, is that it?
According to the commentry, that shot is 'there if a future production team wants to use it' so, presumably there's no current plans for bringing him back, but that's likely how it'd be done were it to happen.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

NecronLord wrote: As for the Doctor's 'cowardly' no killing plan. Damn right. Whatever happened to "no second chances, that's the kind of man I am," and "The anger of the Time Lord was terrible..." :roll:
It's not even really the plan, it's that nobody later blames him for being a manipulative cunt who's prepared to give up a year to maintain his moral hypocrisy. For him a year is nothing: Martha's family will be in fucking counselling for the rest of their lives. LOL YOU GOT TO LIVE AS SLAVES BUT I DIDN'T KILL ANYONE YAY. The writing beating us over the head with 'lol to kill the Master would be wrong' was appalling, with the single exception of the awesome juxaposition in the scene combining plotting murder and intimacy. *That's* how you show, not tell, and not 'zomg don't teh shotzor him we are l337'.

I want the outtake where Martha is accidentally killed by a flying roof tile or something while travelling the world, and the billions of people the Doctor condemned to death by his hideous inaction stay dead. Are your hearts broken now, coward? I bet Martha's parents will recall the massacre of millions before their very eyes with fond memories of the man who made it happen just to get his fucking Converse back.

I'm a fan of how useless shit like the drums, the Time Lords, etc get screen time (and in the end go nowhere), and the Master's troops switching from 'complete morons who support the guy who just doomed humanity' to 'oh yeah just kidding we love this guy, fight to the death to save humanity' get's NOTHING. Not even an aside about how they planned it all along or something.

Vympel, while I have no real idea what's going on with the ring, it's a classic trapdoor. As if people thought the Master wouldn't be back, but no they had to hit us with a 2x4 about it.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

His Divine Shadow wrote:By the way, those spheres they said something... "just the dark" they where fleeing from the dark wheren't they? Torchwood reference?
They were escaping the end of the universe. The last of the stars burning out and all that...probably qualifies as "the dark".
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's very strange that they were apparently concerned it could happen any minute - you'd expect that to be quite predictable. But as they were stupid examples of the worst human failings, created solely as a foil for Saint Doctor, I guess we can't be too hard on them.

I hear when there's no 'reason' or 'point' to anything, people regress to mass-murderering psychopaths. Good to know? :)
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

His Divine Shadow wrote:By the way, those spheres they said something... "just the dark" they where fleeing from the dark wheren't they? Torchwood reference?
IIRC the Doctor pointed out in Utopia that all the stars were dieing out so rather than there being a shit load of galaxies and stuff there was just a long, endless dark in space. I think that's what they were refering to.
Stark wrote: and the Master's troops switching from 'complete morons who support the guy who just doomed humanity' to 'oh yeah just kidding we love this guy, fight to the death to save humanity' get's NOTHING. Not even an aside about how they planned it all along or something.
I'm guessing when the Doctor took over the Archangel network he changed the message from "Trust Harold Saxon / The Master" to "The guy's a bastard, rebel, REBEL!" or something.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I think it could be interesting if they combined that darkness with the one in torchwood, it's the frickin' death of the universe and it's coming to get you before your time kinda thing, nobody gets out alive!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Parallax wrote:... and because I forgot.

I'm pretty sure the Master mentioned "if I suspend your abillity to regenate" before super aging him.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Beeb

Just an article about where Martha Jones will be buggering off to, and some vague thing about a new companion.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

NecronLord wrote:As for the Doctor's 'cowardly' no killing plan. Damn right. Whatever happened to "no second chances, that's the kind of man I am," and "The anger of the Time Lord was terrible..." :roll:
Only works when the enemy isn't his former homosexual lover.

Come on, it's Russell T. Davis, you know he's thinking that, he just couldn't quite have the characters come out and say it without literally getting lynched by half of Outpost Gallifrey (though he'd get a posthumous medal from the other half, the slash-fic-writing half).

Actually if the Master had killed Martha in the first half that might've been enough to trigger Tennant super-angry mode. Killing 700 million random humans won't do it, but kill one semi-attractive female he's flirted with a bit will. Then again maybe not, he never cared about her as much as Rose.

Still waiting for your 'why Martha sucks' rant Stark. Go on. You know you want to.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Dartzap wrote:Just an article about where Martha Jones will be buggering off to, and some vague thing about a new companion.
It's a short article, worth quoting:
[img=left]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... bbc203.jpg[/img][img=right]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... bbc203.jpg[/img]Actress Freema Agyeman is to play Martha Jones in three episodes of spin-off show Torchwood. She said it was a chance to "expand" her character.

She will miss the first half of the fourth series of Doctor Who, but will then return to the BBC One programme. The new companion will be revealed soon and will appear in the entire 13-week run, which begins filming this month.

Former Crossroads actress Agyeman, 28, impressed producers with a brief appearance in the minor role of alien expert Adeola. They invited her to try for the part of David Tennant's sidekick when Billie Piper left at the end of the second series. The show is in its fourth series since its revival in 2005, having ended previously in 1989 after 26 years.

Martha Jones will spend more time with Torchwood's Captain Jack
The third series of Doctor Who, which concluded in the UK on Saturday, had gained "outstanding reviews", according to Russell T Davies, its executive producer and head writer.

"Freema has been a huge part of that success, gaining rave notices for her portrayal of Martha," he added. "Now we are taking the character of Martha into brand new territory with a starring role in Torchwood."

In May, Agyeman told BBC News how overwhelming it felt to be constantly recognised in public. "Everyone's calling my name so it feels surreal," she said, as she walked up the red carpet at the Bafta TV Awards.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

She can Free Ma Agyeman.

What?

So there'll be two companions? I wonder which one they'll get rid of by the end?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
His Divine Shadow

I hope she stays purely for the eye-candy factor.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Is anyone else thinking that:

a. They're putting Martha into Torchwood to try and boost it's flagging reputation

and

b. Martha Jones is now in the randy sex fest that is Torchwood - how will she get out fully clothed?
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Let me first mention that I adore the soundtrack of this three episode. Very moving, simply great...

In general, I liked it. The ending with the DeM was a bit disappointing, but maybe necessary given the problems. Or they'd have played out "The Doctor trying to bring down evil Time Lord Empire" as next season's theme...

And, despite numerous posters, I prefer Martha over Rose...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

I'm convinced Tom Baker did one of the voices of the openned Toclafane.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

NecronLord wrote:Lost on me. Half-life?
Although I never played Half-Life 2 properly, the Combine still had many human collaborator and cyborg soldiers policing the Earth population, even though their Combine overlords had an overwhelming grip on the planet with Combine constructs and flying droids everywhere (just like the Toclafane).
Numbers, which, oh wait, the Toclafane had in great store.
Six billion emotionally unstable, needlessly malicious and childish cyborgs that could pop up everywhere in vast numbers, but they seemed to lack subtlety and restraint in policing humans, which was what the human guards were for. And the Master troopers seemed to be mostly onboard the Valiant and vital Master facilities such as his warfleet launchpads (the ROU-lite ships sounded like they had human crews) rather than patrolling the wilderness.

The Toclafane were the big hammer used for the intial complete conquest of Earth (by killing one tenth of all humans and destroying most of the civil infrastructure) and to quash later serious revolts (such as totally levelling Japan 100%), but the Master was also reorganising human society and recruiting many people for his new military - I wager those Master troopers were dwelling in much better accommodations than the other human slaves and guaranteed, by the Master, the safety of their famillies from the Toclafane (which is adequate enough explantion why the Master's guards suddenly sided with the good guys as soon as the Master was subdued. Not unlike the Wicked Witch's guards from The Wizard of OZ).
Assuming they don't have manipulator arms, or can't get them...
We never saw them pick things up or manipulate objects, they're not as refined as Daleks, but I loved the scene where a Toclafane set itself on a reclining steel perch in the Master's conference room.
You think that's perverse? Hell, you think there's something wrong with that?

He burns Japan, and you're bothering to complain about his trying to persuade women to have threesomes with him? I hope that's a joke.
Initially killing one tenth of the Japanese then exterminating them altogther was evil beyond words, but remember it was implied the Master was seriously abusing Lucy Saxon and a lot of it must've involved sex - it was not some consenting threesome the Master was suggesting, the hooker/concubine was going to have sex with the mentally ruined Lucy while the Master voyeuristically watched (think Patrick Bateman). That seemed a little creepy to me.
Backwater? Are you kidding? It gets invaded annually. Primative, yes. Backwater, no.
The Dalek Emperor's plan made sense since Earth in the year 300, 000 (or something) was the capital of the Milky Way and certainly not primitive, the Cybus Cybermen came from a mirror-Earth very adjacent with our own, the Cult of Skaro came to Earth through sheer bad luck (perhaps the Void ship followed the same exit timestream as the first Time Wars Dalek seen in "Dalek"?) and the Master was forced to Earth by the Doctor after stealing the TARDIS.

But the Master's plan still sounded fucking loony - conquer the entire Universe with just 200, 000 thousand ships launched from a single shitball planet? He said something about blackhole converters and ambushing through a certain region of space, but the Master's "grand" armada could've been totally shot down before they actually did anything (maybe they'd get bitchslapped by the Draconian Empire, the People, the White Guardians or the Time Agency).
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Yes. It'd be alright if it was made out as weakness. Even the Master can't really bring himself to kill the Doctor when he's able to. But it's not depicted as a flaw at all.
His Divine Shadow

Big Orange wrote:But the Master's plan still sounded fucking loony - conquer the entire Universe with just 200, 000 thousand ships launched from a single shitball planet? He said something about blackhole converters and ambushing through a certain region of space, but the Master's "grand" armada could've been totally shot down before they actually did anything (maybe they'd get bitchslapped by the Draconian Empire, the People, the White Guardians or the Time Agency).
Maybe the missile is a missile, not a ship. So 200,000 missiles, one could assume it's some kind of time-lord über missile, just one to destroy a single planet with spacefaring capabilities and thats 200,000 enemies gone in a single strike, from which you could start even more mayhem.

Time Agency? Are those the human organisation Jack came from? Why haven't we seen more of those?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I like how BO assumes the Master meant to take over the universe in one fell sweep.

"Those Romans. Retarded. How could one city possibly build an empire, they're collossaly outnumbered" "The British. Tiny island. No way they could take over a third of the world. They just don't have enough troops."

The Master was going to attack a single world with two hundred thousand warships, and then use that one's resources... The new Time Lord empire would be built the same way as every other empire is built. Piece by piece.