Which Galactus is Best? *Possible FF2 Spoilers*

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Which Galactus is Best? *Possible FF2 Spoilers*

Post by Stravo »

I just got back from seeing Rise of the Silver Surfer today and I must say I was quite impressed with their interpretation of Galactus and I didn't think I would be.

I've heard that in the Ultimates verse Galactus has been re-envisioned as a nanite cloud that strips planets clean. Now at first I scoffed. Nanite cloud?! No Galactus as we know and love him, giant spaceman in purple armor and Viking like horned helmet. Wait a second. How silly does that sound now?

So what is your take on visions of Galactus? Which do you prefer?

Personal anthropomorphic tragic figure in purple armor and Viking helmet that sinks into a planet then eats it? Essentially a giant space man.

OR

Force of Nature cloud of entropy that sucks up the life of a world and doesn't have a care or conscience about what it does?

I have to say, and I never thought I would agree with this but Force of Nature Galactus really appeals to me and I really enjoyed the Rise of the Silver Surfer interpretation. It gave Galactus more gravitas, threat level and overall alieness than purple armored space man.

Thoughts?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Yes, the giant space man was silly enough in the comics and would've been utterly ludicrous (and not in a good way) in a live-action film.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Re: Which Galactus is Best? *Possible FF2 Spoilers*

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Stravo wrote:I've heard that in the Ultimates verse Galactus has been re-envisioned as a nanite cloud that strips planets clean.
Actually, Gah Lak Tus is depicted as a 100,000 mile long group of city-sized hive-minded robots.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Next to the rest of the menagerie of freaks and weirdos that populate the Marvel Universe, giant purple space men are perfectly reasonable.

However, Galactapuss was better.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Unicron.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Absolutely agree, Galactus was much more alien and a heck of a lot cooler. I noticed the Galactapuss thing also, kinda creepy.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Re: Which Galactus is Best? *Possible FF2 Spoilers*

Post by 2000AD »

Stravo wrote: Personal anthropomorphic tragic figure in purple armor and Viking helmet that sinks into a planet then eats it? Essentially a giant space man.

OR

Force of Nature cloud of entropy that sucks up the life of a world and doesn't have a care or conscience about what it does?
If you remove the "cloud of entropy" bit doesn't that describe Galactus anyway? He's one of the 5 fundamental parts of the universe in Marvel isn't he?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I prefer the giant space man(although he only looks that way to humans).

The Galactus in the film was a non entity so it is difficult to judge that one and the Ultimate marvel one was pretty meh.

When done right the 616 Galactus is pretty much a force of nature anyway where he often doesn't notice the humans running about and just goes about his work.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Personally, I've always been more of a fan of the understated approach.

Make Galactus about six feet tall, human-looking, with a fondness for purple suits...of course, it's not what he REALLY looks like. He just shows up in Times Square, and starts draining the Earth...calm, subtle and vaguely amused.

A close second, of course, is the Zombies.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

Out of the three interpretations i think i prefer the movie one best. Ultimate 2nd and 616 least.
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I like when the movies stick to the original source material. I wanted to see a giant, purple armored, viking-like helmet wearing man. I think that it could have been done.

Also, as silly as it sounds which one would really terrify you more a giant gray cloud or a giant fucking purple viking? :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

The best Galactus is Venom-Galactus.
Yeah, I have no idea what that's about.

I guess my favourite is the traditional Galactus just because he has an actual backstory and purpose, and can be a very interesting character in his own write when written well. Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, on the other hand, is just a totally dimensionless bunch of killer robots from outer spaaaaaaace come to kill us all.
Movie-Galactus was even worse. A cloud. What the christ.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:The best Galactus is Venom-Galactus.
*snip* pic
Behold the POWER-COSMIC TONGUE!!!! :shock:

Dude! That is wanktastic!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

*snip*

I guess my favourite is the traditional Galactus just because he has an actual backstory and purpose, and can be a very interesting character in his own write when written well. Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, on the other hand, is just a totally dimensionless bunch of killer robots from outer spaaaaaaace come to kill us all.
You're kidding me. You've gotta be.
That's worse than the one of Spider-man punching Superman...Please tell me that's Mysterio screwing with the wall-crawler's head or something?
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

maybe I was looking too hard, but I thought I saw the outline of Galactus's helmet in the cloud when the SS defied him and fought back.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Does that have anything to do with aunt May being a herald?
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

I prefer the 616 version. The others were just kind of bland.

Honestly, I really can't see why the classic version of Galactus would look anymore ridiculous than Godzilla or the Darth Vader. I think it just depends on how they present him. If they have a really good score for when he first appears and if his voice is booming and godlike, I think that it 616 Galactus would work on screen.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

maybe I was looking too hard, but I thought I saw the outline of Galactus's helmet in the cloud when the SS defied him and fought back.
Wikipedia says that Weta did include a shape of the helmet as an easter egg.
Baal
Padawan Learner

Post by Baal »

Molyneux wrote:
*snip*

That's worse than the one of Spider-man punching Superman...Please tell me that's Mysterio screwing with the wall-crawler's head or something?
Yes that was a Mysterio screw job. If I remember right Spidey have the Galac/Venom a good hard smash and it pretty much crumbled down.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Baal wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
*snip*

Yes that was a Mysterio screw job. If I remember right Spidey have the Galac/Venom a good hard smash and it pretty much crumbled down.
Oh thank god.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:I guess my favourite is the traditional Galactus just because he has an actual backstory and purpose, and can be a very interesting character in his own write when written well. Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, on the other hand, is just a totally dimensionless bunch of killer robots from outer spaaaaaaace come to kill us all.
I agree. I'm glad the FF2 Galctus isn't totally dumb, but one of 616's Galactus' selling points is his uniqueness, and the fact that for all his alleged implacability, he is a character that can be interacted with if you get him to notice you in the first place.

What's special about a cloud of robots coming to eat your planet? Sure it's a threat, but so is a supernova 100 light years away, or a big ass meteor storm, or any of the other mindless vehicles of planetary death out there. They either kill you or they don't. To say nothing of the fact that there could be a billion Galactus-robot-swarms screwing around in the universe.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Baal wrote:Yes that was a Mysterio screw job. If I remember right Spidey have the Galac/Venom a good hard smash and it pretty much crumbled down.
Molyneux wrote:Oh thank god.
How would the symbiote even possess Galactus? I thought the What If where it bonded with Thor was wank, but if this had been true that's just WTF?!

Back on topic, I like the 616 Big G. I mean he is a Force of Nature, but personified like Eternity or Infinity. He has some gravitas to his character that the other versions just don't seem to carry. Considering the kinds of stuff the Marvel heroes face off with, having someone around like the movie Galactus or the Ultimates-verse version just wouldn't stand out the same way.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I like Galactus to look like the original 616 purple dude. After all, that's just how humans perceive him. For his place in the universe, I like the Earth X Celestial-eater explanation.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

The Celestial eater was a good explanation, especially since it gives some reason as to why eating the energy from a planet that bears life could possibly sustain Galactus considering the scope of what the Power Cosmic allows.