How can I beat writer's block!!!???

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sothis
Jedi Knight

How can I beat writer's block!!!???

Post by Sothis »

As some of you know, I'm writing a fan-fic. Lately though, I have made virtually no progress. I just can't seem to get the creative juices flowing. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
Hakuna Matata
The Forums of Sothis! http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/sothis.html
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Don't ask me, lad.

I hit writer's block on my fic ages ago and haven't gotten back to it yet. By now it's three pages buried on the site!
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Find some music appropriate to the scene your trying to write. That usually helps and so does re-reading the material you've already written.

But most of all you just have to keep trying to write. Thats the only sure-fire cure.
God Emperor
Jedi Knight

Post by God Emperor »

Stop thinking about it and do something fun. Clear your mind.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Stormbringer wrote:Find some music appropriate to the scene your trying to write. That usually helps and so does re-reading the material you've already written.
Great. Does anyone have any futuristic gritty detective story music?
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Lagmonster wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:Find some music appropriate to the scene your trying to write. That usually helps and so does re-reading the material you've already written.
Great. Does anyone have any futuristic gritty detective story music?
Bladerunner Soundtrack
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Have you considered masturbation. It takes your mind off it. :twisted:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Sothis
Jedi Knight

Post by Sothis »

I like Necron's suggestion :D
Hakuna Matata
The Forums of Sothis! http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/sothis.html
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Re: How can I beat writer's block!!!???

Post by Crayz9000 »

Sothis wrote:As some of you know, I'm writing a fan-fic. Lately though, I have made virtually no progress. I just can't seem to get the creative juices flowing. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
Go read a good book or two in the meantime. Chuck once suggested that you never stop writing; if you get stuck on one part, just brainstorm for ideas for other sections, and write them down.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Re: How can I beat writer's block!!!???

Post by Sonnenburg »

Sothis wrote:As some of you know, I'm writing a fan-fic. Lately though, I have made virtually no progress. I just can't seem to get the creative juices flowing. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
The question is this: Do you not know where you want to go? or Do you not know how to get there? There's problems don't have the same solution.

BTW, I had a conversation with a co-worker about writing yesterday, and I told him what the professionals say: write regularly, even if you just throw it away.

He said he understood, but he found it hard to make something he knew he was just going to toss out.

I nodded and said that I understood. It's the same reason I don't jog; why should I run just to wind up right back where I started with nothing accomplished.

"Yes, but at least something good came out of it for your body." And then it hit him...
Chuck

Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

Somehow the No. 10 track from Half-life "Kill Me Now" comes to mind.
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Go take a walk. And make it as aimless as possible. Let your mind drift. :mrgreen:
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

How to beat writers block....

Usually with a large metal chib...failing that, go and do something you enjoy...wait for inspiration to hit or just forget about it for a little bit and take a break...just make sure to have a notepad and a pen nearby...

Usually when writers block hits me...it does so for months and then when it finally lifts, it does so for several months... :)

Just give it time
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994