Music Recommendations

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Doctor Why
Redshirt

Music Recommendations

Post by Doctor Why »

I was curious if anyone could give me some suggestions on some new music to listen to? Any replies are appreciated. What I am into right now includes Classic Rock, Ninties Alternative, and Grunge, and Fusion Jazz. Though as of late my rock tastes are beggining to feel a bit stale, and I would definatley appreciate reccomendations for good Rock Bands.
"The mind of the believer stagnates. It fails to grow outward into an unlimited, infinite universe"-Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well if you want to get to the roots of grunge and 90s alt I would suggest the Ramones, The Misfits The Clash and other punk contemporaries. Take a look at some harder rock Metallica, Guns N Roses and Slayer if you want to see what evolved from the Classic Rock, by which I think you mean Zeppelin and the like.

What I listen to mostly right now is:
Danzig
Anthrax
Hank Williams III
Prince
Third Eye Blind
The White Stripes
The Misfits
Led Zeppelin
DJ Dan
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Classic rock:

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Cheap Trick
Kansas
Boston

Fuck it, just get the soundtracks from Supernatural and Guitar Hero.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Listen to Johnny Cash.

That is all.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

What the hell is 'fusion jazz?' Jazz and...what, exactly? Jazz encompasses so much already.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Johnny Cash has some good songs. My favorite is the one in the opening credits for the Dawn of the Dead remake.

here is a short list of some good bands:

Blue Oyster Cult is an excellent band. "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" for the win!
Jefferson Airplane has some good songs. The song "White Rabbit" comes to mind.
Kansas
Led Zeppelin
Styx
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

My tastes tend to be toward the heavier side of music, but some recommendations for the more general audiences:

In Extremo - Heavy metal and bagpipes.

Haggard (not to be confused with Merle) - Excellent symphonic metal band

Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus - Finnish heavy metal band. Unfortunately, a bit difficult to find outside of Finland. Some of their songs can be found on youtube, though.

Lordi - Fun hard rock, also Finnish

Jonathan Coulton - Nerd rock

Mary Prankster - Baltimore's punk rock sweetheart

The Dollyrots - Lighter fare, pop-punk
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Zaia wrote:What the hell is 'fusion jazz?' Jazz and...what, exactly? Jazz encompasses so much already.
Jazz and anything that is "not jazz", a rather silly label if you ask me...
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I would suggest looking for all the following bands in youtube to see if you like them:

Get Jeff Walker's Und Die Fluffers - Welcum to Carcass Cuntry, it's a load of country songs played heavier.

As for other stuff, I cannot recommend Deftones any harder. They're just amazing songwriters in my opinion, they never sit all in one camp, they just do their own thing and they've not made an album I didn't like.

Crowbar are a NO band that have an awesome sound as thick and fat as they are. If you like grunge you might like them.

Down - a similar but slightly lighter band/supergroup. One of the best bands ever in my humble opinion. Usually my tastes are a lot heavier than Down, but they really are the bitch's tits.

Corrosion of Conformity - similar to down but not quite as good.

You could also try out the first, third or fourth korn albums, see if you like their stuff.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Doctor Why
Redshirt

Post by Doctor Why »

Thank you for all of the replies, I will definatley check out the stuff listed so far.
"The mind of the believer stagnates. It fails to grow outward into an unlimited, infinite universe"-Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

J wrote:
Zaia wrote:What the hell is 'fusion jazz?' Jazz and...what, exactly? Jazz encompasses so much already.
Jazz and anything that is "not jazz", a rather silly label if you ask me...
'k, that's what I thought. *nods sagely and scampers off*
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Fusion tends to be a segment of music which blends aspects of jazz (such as soloing over forms or different aspects of improvisation) and other genres, generally rock or funk (or more recently, hiphop and electronic music.)

Bands who might fall under that category include:
1. The Mahavishnu Orchestra
2. Chick Corea (More specifically, albums such as Light as a Feather)
3. Return to Forever (lead by Chick Corea)
4. The Headhunters
5. Billy Cobham
6. John McLaughlin
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

If you're into instrument-heavy stuff, you can't go wrong with Yes and Led Zeppelin (see sig :S.) I'm enjoying Dire Straits, Blue Oeyster Cult, and the Eagles whenever the come onto the radio, it seems.

Another mention goes out to Trans-Siberian Orchestra (who have achieved their greatest fame making hard rock remixes of Christmas instrumentals,) but they're not a very mainstream sort of thing.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Saurencaerthai wrote:
Fusion tends to be a segment of music which blends aspects of jazz (such as soloing over forms or different aspects of improvisation) and other genres, generally rock or funk (or more recently, hiphop and electronic music.)

4. The Headhunters
5. Billy Cobham
6. John McLaughlin
And let's not forget Allan Holdsworth, Ali di Meola and Pat Metheny.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Saurencaerthai wrote:

4. The Headhunters
5. Billy Cobham
6. John McLaughlin
Seems kind of superfluous, since you could micro-analyze any genre and break it down to all the different influences if you wanted, but whatever makes you happy. It's all just 'jazz' to me.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Zaia wrote:
Saurencaerthai wrote:

4. The Headhunters
5. Billy Cobham
6. John McLaughlin
Seems kind of superfluous, since you could micro-analyze any genre and break it down to all the different influences if you wanted, but whatever makes you happy. It's all just 'jazz' to me.
I suppose, as much as you could analyze any genre. Perhaps these labels are less use to some people these days because it is much more common practice, but at the time, what the aforementioned groups were doing was a distinct offshoot from the conventional rock, funk, and jazz genres. But hey, if people gladly lump everything from 1600-present that involves many western acoustical instruments as "classical," it's not a big deal to disregard designations for a much smaller segment (no malice behind this statement is intended, by the way.)
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Saurencaerthai wrote:
Zaia wrote:Seems kind of superfluous, since you could micro-analyze any genre and break it down to all the different influences if you wanted, but whatever makes you happy. It's all just 'jazz' to me.
I suppose, as much as you could analyze any genre. Perhaps these labels are less use to some people these days because it is much more common practice, but at the time, what the aforementioned groups were doing was a distinct offshoot from the conventional rock, funk, and jazz genres. But hey, if people gladly lump everything from 1600-present that involves many western acoustical instruments as "classical," it's not a big deal to disregard designations for a much smaller segment (no malice behind this statement is intended, by the way.)
I'm sure there wasn't any malice intended. Would be pretty silly if there was, seeing as you probably remember I'm in the minority of those who know the specific difference between pop-culture "classical" and actual "classical" since I'm a professional musician myself. ;-)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

JLTucker wrote:Johnny Cash has some good songs. My favorite is the one in the opening credits for the Dawn of the Dead remake.
Ah, I think it's called 'The Whirlwind'. I'm really fond of 'Hurt' however - I listened to it twenty odd times today.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Ford Prefect wrote:
JLTucker wrote:Johnny Cash has some good songs. My favorite is the one in the opening credits for the Dawn of the Dead remake.
Ah, I think it's called 'The Whirlwind'. I'm really fond of 'Hurt' however - I listened to it twenty odd times today.
And to think it was originally written by Trent Reznor. :lol:

But yeah, Cash's music in his later years is just hauntingly beautiful, particularly the last entries in the American series.

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Isn't it called The Man Comes Around? And YT should shut up, Reznor's a fantastic songwriter. :P
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Rye wrote:And YT should shut up, Reznor's a fantastic songwriter. :P
Oh, I agree. The Downward Spiral especially is an awesome album, but it was just a shock hearing Johnny Cash singing it. "Isn't that a NIN song? Holy shit!" :o

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

YT300000 wrote:
Rye wrote:And YT should shut up, Reznor's a fantastic songwriter. :P
Oh, I agree. The Downward Spiral especially is an awesome album, but it was just a shock hearing Johnny Cash singing it. "Isn't that a NIN song? Holy shit!" :o
I remember when I first heard Cash's cover that Trent Reznor had said something about how he'd felt more depressed than he ever had in his life because the album hadn't sold as well as he'd hoped, but that hearing that Johnny Cash had covered a song of his totally got him out of his depression.

No idea if that's true or just rumour, but I thought it was interesting.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Something to that effect. Nowadays, whenever he speaks of Hurt, he refers to it as a song that isn't his anymore, as Cash maintained the meaning and emotion perfectly, despite being in a totally different genre, age, etc.