This is pretty Neat.(Steampunk LCD)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

This is pretty Neat.(Steampunk LCD)

Post by Lonestar »

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

These guys have a bright future in prop design. That's amazing.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

That is fucking awesome. I want one.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

There's something always unnaturally awesome about steampunk accessories like this.

Too bad the guy doesn't do commissions. I want an entire steampunk computer and steampunk accessories...
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Way cool. The link is disabled as I am at work. How much did those cost to build?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I want one badly.. I'd also love to see what they could do to a computer chell.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

Post by Laughing Mechanicus »

The same guy also did a steampunk mod for an IBM Model M keyboard and built a USB brass telegraph sounder that clacks out RSS feeds in morse code. They are possibly the coolest things ever and make me wish I had a workshop of some sort.

Full how-to guides on making them here.
Indie game dev, my website: SlowBladeSystems. Twitter: @slowbladesys
Also officer of the Sunday Simmers, a Steam group for war game and simulation enthusiasts
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Nuclear Airships?! When did this get approved?
XXXI
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I want.

Screw that. I need.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I don't get it. It's a wooden and brass enclosure for an LCD panel. So what? haven't you guys ever taken an LCD apart? Get out a router and make your own! Nice accessories, though. :)
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Stark wrote:I don't get it. It's a wooden and brass enclosure for an LCD panel. So what? haven't you guys ever taken an LCD apart? Get out a router and make your own! Nice accessories, though. :)
SILENCE! YOU DO NOT MOCK THE SKILL OF........THIS GUY!
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

He's Stark. If he isn't vitriolic and derisive about everything, his fingers will atrophy.

That said, I hadn't connected "you can react dissolve metals in an electrolyte solution" to "you can etch metals without acid or industrial lasers". I'm going to go buy myself some copper plate tomorrow (after testing the process on a copper penny first) and see what I can accomplish.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Feil wrote:He's Stark. If he isn't vitriolic and derisive about everything, his fingers will atrophy.
Amusingly, that post was based on the images. Having looked at the website, he even grabbed the frame off a picture frame so you don't even need a router. Aside from making the metal insets and borrowing the wicked frame adjustment system, it's something absolutely anyone could do.

Unless 'remove plastic, spray metal' is beyond anyone? :lol: The keyboard is much more impressive technically: the most impressive parts of the monitor piece are the frame and button-levers.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Awsome.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I'm finding the guy's metal etching work to be way more interesting than his steampunk computer stuff (and of those the best is the RSS feed telegraph sounder, with the keyboard in second and the monitor in third place) to be honest.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I'm finding the guy's metal etching work to be way more interesting than his steampunk computer stuff (and of those the best is the RSS feed telegraph sounder, with the keyboard in second and the monitor in third place) to be honest.
The Morse RSS feed is *fucking awesome*. That's not just 'neat' and interesting, it's an application of technology that works. Not just reboxing an LCD panel, which is trivial by comparison.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Of course, you all diss metal until you notice how cool it is, hypocrites! That RSS feed morse-thing is fantastic, it'd be cool to attach one of those to those ancient stock market printer things.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

The RSS feed would be more awesome if I didn't think it would be fucking annoying to hear it chattering all the time. I, too, am quite taken by his metal etching stuff. The computer remodeling is pretty, but it's no more impressive than any other custom keyboard, which people make all the time. The metal etching had me creating two-tone images in GIMP and experimenting with toner transfer methods before work this morning, and I'm going to run off and buy some copper sheet and copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate tomorrow.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you some kind of poser? You're gaga over 'steampunk lol', but you don't like the reality that impact printing=noise? :lol:
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Rye wrote:Of course, you all diss metal until you notice how cool it is, hypocrites! That RSS feed morse-thing is fantastic, it'd be cool to attach one of those to those ancient stock market printer things.
Stock tickers, they're called.

And surprisingly, they're still made by some specialty outlets retailing to collectors, and I think there are some models that are built to be actually used to monitor the stock market (EDIT: Although they cost something like $30,000).
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That *is* a stock ticker, basically. If you pointed it at a stockmarket RSS feed it'd be just like 1888. :) Hopelessly inefficient, but it beats putting a guy on a horse to go find out.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I want a full-fledged steampunk computer. I want gears turning in the side panel, dials on the outside, etc...
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

*ahem*
Oh, and we can't forget the mouse:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Geeze, you could kill someone with that mouse!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

chitoryu12 wrote:Geeze, you could kill someone with that mouse!
That is precisely why it is awesome.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."