This is pretty Neat.(Steampunk LCD)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

This is a bit OT, but your sig is incorrect, chitoryu. The most aerodynamic thing you can throw into a recycling bin is, in fact, a paper airplane. :P

We now return to your regularly scheduled steampunk-y goodness:
Okay, so it's not really steampunk, but it does look Victorian-era, at least. Stained glass FTW!.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Found a front view of the Telecalculograph (the first PC mod I posted), as well as a flatbed scanner mod dubbed "The Opti-Transcripticon":
Last edited by Executor32 on 2007-07-27 03:59am, edited 1 time in total.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

ENVY
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Executor32 wrote:Opti-Transcripticon
That beats 'flatbed scanner' every day of the week.

I also love the steampunk stratocaster from the OP's linky.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Can we get this moved to the Arts forum? I'd hate to see this locked at post 50 :D
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Now, what is it that makes these "steampunk"? I see no steam, and I see no punk....
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

"Steampunk" is a rather silly term appropriated from "cyberpunk" (which itself is often frequently misapplied) used to describe fictional technology evocative of the 19th Century that is very Jules Vernian and fantastic Victorian.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Is Jules Verne steampunk?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Feil wrote:Is Jules Verne steampunk?
If you ask steampunk idiots, yes. As Spanky says it's a largely useless term that includes pretty much anything that 'looks old' and 'is advanced'. Everything from mechanical computers to coal-fired spaceships.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

How does steampunk differ from "retro-futuristic"? Is it as meaningful as the difference between brutal death metal and blackened death metal and black metal?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Stark wrote:coal-fired spaceships.
Flying mechanical sharkfucking undead bunny rabbit Jesus from Hell, people actually use this concept? :shock: :?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Feil wrote:
Flying mechanical sharkfucking undead bunny rabbit Jesus from Hell, people actually use this concept? :shock: :?
Google "Spelljammer".
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Ignore the rust.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I was actually thinking of making a steampunk metal band when I saw this thread. I was thinking of braiding my hair and putting loads of copper tubing on the braids, guitars like that jackson, nice copper looking drumkit with pipes attached to a smoke machine, similar keyboard, one of those boxy 50s microphones with a copper paintjob. Get one of those morse code things to trigger samples, it'd rule!

I think fishnets and industrial goggles and stuff would work fairly well here, maybe mixed up with some victorian-looking gothy lacy clothes. Hmmm, I might try and draw this at some point.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

General Zod wrote:
Feil wrote:
Google "Spelljammer".
Only the Gnome ships in Spelljammer are steampunk, and they're only there for comic relief. The only other ships that burn coal are the dwarven ones, and that's to power magical forges that translate the psychic energy of working dwarves into motion somehow. The setting just barely has cannons and flintlock pistols (which are horribly primitive and unreliable), it is more 'renaissance era' than steampunk.

'Steampunk' is a useful descriptive term. However 'clockpunk' is not (and yes I have seen that in the wild to describe renaissance-ish more-technology-than-they-historically-had fiction).
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

By virtue of me being a huge fan of the style commonly called 'Steampunk', this thread is promoted to Arts. Why? Because that's art.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

I made a bookmark. A steampunk bookmark. If I ever needed to fight my way through a thousand guards armed to the teeth, I could put an edge on it by scraping it on the cement floor of my cell and shank people with it, that's how steampunk it is. It also has the Inquisitorial I on it, because the toner transfer of a complicated design like the aquila was not of the easy.

Abe for scale.

Need to work out how to eliminate the pitting. Hope it's because I had excess salt in my saturated salt solution, since that's the first thing I'm going to try changing tomorrow.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stark wrote:
Feil wrote:He's Stark. If he isn't vitriolic and derisive about everything, his fingers will atrophy.
Amusingly, that post was based on the images. Having looked at the website, he even grabbed the frame off a picture frame so you don't even need a router. Aside from making the metal insets and borrowing the wicked frame adjustment system, it's something absolutely anyone could do.

Unless 'remove plastic, spray metal' is beyond anyone? :lol: The keyboard is much more impressive technically: the most impressive parts of the monitor piece are the frame and button-levers.
That's what I was referring to. I want the entire setup. And with a mock computer consisting of flywheels, tiny meshed gears and vacuum tubes.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

My brother and I are big steampunk fans, in fact last Christmas I commissioned for him a Steampunk Lightsaber which was so cool it went around the internet twice.

My brother has been collecting ideas for a masterful steampunk computer, with everything from a water-cooled tower to a spinning governor to a projection-screen monitor on canvas. When we start working on it, I'll bring pictures here.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

weemadando wrote:That's what I was referring to. I want the entire setup. And with a mock computer consisting of flywheels, tiny meshed gears and vacuum tubes.
Remember the old software/games that sent output to a printer? Having a 60s-era computer, but based on impact printing and gears, is feasible. THAT would be impressive, that's be awesome... not 'I put my scanner in a wooden box'. :)

Difference Engine is what steampunk would be if it wasn't taken WAAAAY too far by idiots and turned into shit. Mechanical computer + Victorian era = scientific discoveries that require serious computation occur earlier. Not 'magically steam allows battleships to fly' and crap like that. :)
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The term "gas lamp" instead of "steam punk" is growing on me, but probably most of that is because I like Girl Genius.

Not that liking Girl Genius is in anyway a bad thing.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Imperial Overlord wrote:The term "gas lamp" instead of "steam punk" is growing on me, but probably most of that is because I like Girl Genius.

Not that liking Girl Genius is in anyway a bad thing.
That stained-glass computer would fit right into GirlGenius, wouldn't it. Wonder if Mr. Foglio's seen these.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Not classic, or truly "steampunk" at all, but there's always The ElectriClerk for those into this sort of thing.

It's fan-tastic.:wink:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Yeah Frank, Brazil's design ethic is more properly based around "doing things the hard way." ;)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Zuul wrote:How does steampunk differ from "retro-futuristic"? Is it as meaningful as the difference between brutal death metal and blackened death metal and black metal?
Retro-futuristic implies that it's what people from the past would imagine the future would be like. Steampunk is what we would imagine people in the past(Victorian era usually) would make stuff high tech look like.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan