"World War Hulk" - Commentary and Discussion

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

MadSorcerer wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote: Hulk said he wanted to talk to Xavier, and the X-Men all attacked him.

Yeah, defending oneself sure is thuggish.
Hulk attacked first.
Did you even read the fucking book? Apparently not.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

MadSorcerer wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote: Hulk said he wanted to talk to Xavier, and the X-Men all attacked him.

Hulk attacked first.
no Solo shot first!

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
MadSorcerer wrote:

Hulk attacked first.
Did you even read the fucking book? Apparently not.
I think this should properly be directed at you. Unless you don't consider backhanding Beast across the room an "attack".
Jason B. Romano
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Which he didn't do until after the X-Men attacked him.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

TheDarkling wrote: covering up the deaths of children
I like to elaborate on this a little more, the cover up included a skrull or robot living with the kids family.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

lance wrote: I like to elaborate on this a little more, the cover up included a skrull or robot living with the kids family.
Most likely a clone.

Dr Strangelove and the wife beater are probably cloning MVP given the Latin reference the Nazi made.
MadSorcerer
Redshirt

Post by MadSorcerer »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Which he didn't do until after the X-Men attacked him.
Try reading the book again, dumbass. Beast told Hulk he couldn't have Xavier so Hulk backhanded him. No X-Men touched him prior to that.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

They had already said "Hey we are gonna attack you now".
MadSorcerer
Redshirt

Post by MadSorcerer »

And we all now that saying "Hey we are gonna attack you now" = attacking you. :roll:

Do you even have the comic though? Because that didn't happen either. Here's how it went down: Hulk lands on their front porch. Beast tells Prodigy to evacuate the students and to warn Charles. Beast then calms the kids with a small speech about genocide then goes to try and talk to the Hulk. Hulk backhands him and the X-Men attack.

I'll say it once more. Hulk attacked first.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Whilst correct in the broad strokes you missed some details out.

Hulk asked Beast to get the Prof for him and Beast refused.

Then Hulk asked him to get out of the way and Beast again refused at which point Hulk moved him out of his path (and through a door).

Then the New X-men jumped on Hulk and he told Beast to get the kids off him or he would has to take action against them.

The Hulk certainly resorted to violence first but he wasn't attacking anybody and didn't consider a fight to have started until the New X-men persisted in attacking him.

I would add however that the X-men clearly had a right to defend themselves and their home although Beast should have just got the Prof to come up stairs.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

One thing I seriously hated about the X-men issue was the Hulk saying that Wolverine's healing factor meant he couldn't kill him and implying that it's on a par with the Hulk's. I guess that's pretty par for the course with Wolverine these days, but it still pisses me off.

Once upon a time, what Hulk did to Wolverine (Smashing his skull until the insides turned to jelly) would have been total overkill. Now it's just his way of taking Wolverine out of action for a while so he doesn't bug him while he deals with the rest of the X-men.

Bah.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Baal
Padawan Learner

Post by Baal »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:One thing I seriously hated about the X-men issue was the Hulk saying that Wolverine's healing factor meant he couldn't kill him and implying that it's on a par with the Hulk's. I guess that's pretty par for the course with Wolverine these days, but it still pisses me off.

Once upon a time, what Hulk did to Wolverine (Smashing his skull until the insides turned to jelly) would have been total overkill. Now it's just his way of taking Wolverine out of action for a while so he doesn't bug him while he deals with the rest of the X-men.

Bah.

Also very irrelevant. If Hulk was annoyed enough with Wolverine he could easily chuck him into low Earth orbit or with a lighter throw a few hundred miles off the coast into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

The latest Iron Man installment of WWH shows the Hulk in a much better light. He boards the SHIELD Helicarrier looking for Nick Fury, who he thinks led him into the spaceship that took him to Sakaar. Turns out it was just a robot, and the Hulk notes that everyone on the Helicarrier was likely lied to and kept in the dark about it as well. So what does he do? He leaves!

This is how the Hulk should be written for this storyline, as opposed to what he's doing in the X-Men books: out for vengeance but avoiding conflicts with people who have not wronged him.
Jason B. Romano
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Jason wrote: This is how the Hulk should be written for this storyline, as opposed to what he's doing in the X-Men books: out for vengeance but avoiding conflicts with people who have not wronged him.
I think he has justification in going after Xavier. If your part of Al Queda, Japanese Navy, etc I think its kinda prudent to go talk to you after 9/11, Pearl Harbor, or what have you. When he slapped beast it could hardly be called a strike, it would be more like a when a person shoves another persons shoulder considering how beast is in the 30 ton range of power now.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

lance wrote:
Jason wrote: This is how the Hulk should be written for this storyline, as opposed to what he's doing in the X-Men books: out for vengeance but avoiding conflicts with people who have not wronged him.
I think he has justification in going after Xavier. If your part of Al Queda, Japanese Navy, etc I think its kinda prudent to go talk to you after 9/11, Pearl Harbor, or what have you. When he slapped beast it could hardly be called a strike, it would be more like a when a person shoves another persons shoulder considering how beast is in the 30 ton range of power now.
The Hulk already knows Xavier didn't have anything to do with, nor did he know about, the plan for his banishment, and wasn't even around at the time it happened.
Jason B. Romano
Baal
Padawan Learner

Post by Baal »

Jason wrote:
lance wrote:
The Hulk already knows Xavier didn't have anything to do with, nor did he know about, the plan for his banishment, and wasn't even around at the time it happened.

Out of curiosity how did the Hulk know this? Since Professor X is just about the most powerful telepath on the planet if not the most powerful it would be rather odd that he would have no idea that his fellow backroom buddies were planning on something. Is Xavier that honorable that he wont even mildly scan someone as dishonest as Tony Stark?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Baal wrote:
Jason wrote:
lance wrote: I think he has justification in going after Xavier. If your part of Al Queda, Japanese Navy, etc I think its kinda prudent to go talk to you after 9/11, Pearl Harbor, or what have you. When he slapped beast it could hardly be called a strike, it would be more like a when a person shoves another persons shoulder considering how beast is in the 30 ton range of power now.

Out of curiosity how did the Hulk know this? Since Professor X is just about the most powerful telepath on the planet if not the most powerful it would be rather odd that he would have no idea that his fellow backroom buddies were planning on something. Is Xavier that honorable that he wont even mildly scan someone as dishonest as Tony Stark?
Wow, Guess you don't read Marvel comics at all do you.
Xavier lost his power on M-Day. He just got it back at the close of the Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire story arc. So Pro-X didn't have his power and wasn't present when Blackbolt, Richards, Stark and Strange made the decision to launch Banner into space.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Jason wrote:
lance wrote:
Doesn't change the fact that Xavier is part of the organization and may have information that would be useful in taking the others down as well as a power base that could hinder the Hulk. Xavier felt he needed to be punished so he volunteered to go with the Hulk.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

lance wrote: Doesn't change the fact that Xavier is part of the organization and may have information that would be useful in taking the others down as well as a power base that could hinder the Hulk. Xavier felt he needed to be punished so he volunteered to go with the Hulk.
All that shows is the Hulk might want to ask Xavier for help, if Xavier does in fact know things which could aid him. His "power base" is irrelevant, as there is no indication that Xavier has any intention of utilizing it to get in the way of the Hulk's plans. The most that can be said is the Hulk should try to meet with Xavier, but that doesn't justify the Hulk taking any action at all to force a meeting.

Of course, this has nothing to do with what actually happened in the comic, where the Hulk shows up with the intent of holding Xavier responsible for actions he never took as if he did in fact take them, and brutalizes anyone who stands in the way of his distorted view of justice.
Jason B. Romano
Baal
Padawan Learner

Post by Baal »

Jason wrote:
lance wrote: Doesn't change the fact that Xavier is part of the organization and may have information that would be useful in taking the others down as well as a power base that could hinder the Hulk. Xavier felt he needed to be punished so he volunteered to go with the Hulk.
All that shows is the Hulk might want to ask Xavier for help, if Xavier does in fact know things which could aid him. His "power base" is irrelevant, as there is no indication that Xavier has any intention of utilizing it to get in the way of the Hulk's plans. The most that can be said is the Hulk should try to meet with Xavier, but that doesn't justify the Hulk taking any action at all to force a meeting.

Of course, this has nothing to do with what actually happened in the comic, where the Hulk shows up with the intent of holding Xavier responsible for actions he never took as if he did in fact take them, and brutalizes anyone who stands in the way of his distorted view of justice.

Sure Xavier might have been innocent of involvement during the launch Hulk into space bit. Xavier did though quite willingly join a secret society that found nothing wrong with screwing with Hulk. So as far as Hulk is concerned is Xavier really innocent? What else might him and his Illum buddies might have done? Who else might they have tried to remove or neutralize.

As far as Hulk is concerned Xavier is guilty by the mere fact that he joined.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

WWH 3#

And I thought Stark was being extreme with his plan to annihilate all of Manhattan, Strange just has to go and won up him by bringing Zom to the party.

The army got smashed as expected but the Adamantium bullets were a good effort.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

So just where the hell is all this adamantium coming from lately, anyways? I thought it was wicked rare?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

well considering how much of it Ultron goes through in a week.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

I have no fucking clue what Strange did at the end of the issue.

Also, I wish the Sentry would hurry his ass up.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:I have no fucking clue what Strange did at the end of the issue.
He channelled the power of Zom, which would be akin to the Germans unleashing Cthulhu in order to win ww1.

It might work but you will die very shortly thereafter.

All you really need to know about Zom is that the living tribunal is on his enemies list, when the second most powerful being in the universe takes note of you then you are obviously a considerable threat.

Dr Strange has essentially unleashed (or risked unleashing) a universal threat in order to beat a guy who, at worst, is going to kill a handful of people.