high-def screenshots of Return of the Jedi

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

high-def screenshots of Return of the Jedi

Post by Uraniun235 »

"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Hi-def matte lines! Oh yeah!
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Damn, I've seen that hanger pic a bunch of times but I never noticed how large the Y-Wing was compared to the X-Wing and the A-Wing is fucking small.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

For my money, these still may be the best special effects ever made.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I like the engines on the far right A-Wing. :lol:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I've never liked CGI models. Real models look so much better. Even if the other special effects aren't up to scratch, with the explosions and what not, a competent director could still make something good. Like Blade Runner's city flythrough scene.

CGI couldn't make something that looked that real.
XXXI
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Do you think you could get some caps of Alderaan's destruction?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

The matte lines on that Blockade Runner are really noticeable...

How did you... acquire these images?
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Think they screen a HD verison of star wars on HBO or something...
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

These played over a cable channel in Germany.

Surlethe, I'm just going to link you to a directory of the requested screencaps rather than link the images individually:

link
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Wow, nice bit of hyperbole, there.

I still sigh at all the cut-and-paste jobs in the fleet backgrounds. It's never gone well with me to see the same ships multiplied from the same angle over and over again.

Other than that, nice pics.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Phantasee wrote:CGI couldn't make something that looked that real.
nostalgia alert!

I've seen Blade Runner (directors version sadly) and the mat lines on the cars are way too clear to look real.

if want examples of good model/miniature work you should look at the LOTR trilogy or StarShip Troopers (ofc using these would probably count as heresy for you as they're CGI enhanced, am I correct?)

other then this nonsence, those are nice screenshots.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I like CGI and I like models.
I can tell when I am looking at CGI, and I can tell when I am looking at models. Why is it that people bash CGI when models have essentially the same flaw. [nostalga alert][/nostalga alert] indeed. :roll:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

Thanks for those, mate! I have the hi-def versions stored on my mother-in-law's DVR, but can't get screencaps or make an archived backup. The cable company apparently "forgot" to enable the firewire port on the DVR.

I don't suppose you could post some captures of the Star Destroyer seen in ESB and ROTJ? I'm always on the hunt for more reference images, and hi-def shots of the ISD would definitely come in handy. Close shots, distant, any part of the ship that's visible, I don't care, I want it all if I can get it.

Thanks very much in advance.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

A high def for the Executor and Tector-class would be appreciated as well! :D
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Phantasee wrote:I've never liked CGI models. Real models look so much better. Even if the other special effects aren't up to scratch, with the explosions and what not, a competent director could still make something good. Like Blade Runner's city flythrough scene.

Also, that rebel hangar scene was done almost entirely with matte paintings. Which is about as "real" as CGI is.

Hell, Revenge of the Sith used more miniatures than the entire Original Trilogy put together.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

Well, Darth Vader was certainly a miniature, at least compared to the OT! lol
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Instant Sunrise wrote: Also, that rebel hangar scene was done almost entirely with matte paintings. Which is about as "real" as CGI is.
I've seen photos of the actual matte paintings from the Star Wars movies in their respective "Art Of" books. The details look like rough oil paintings and you can see the brushstrokes and everything. I am astounded at how the painting looks so lifelike on film. I wonder if they use some sort of lens filter or if the size of the painting shot from a certain range make it seem real.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Executor32 wrote:I like the engines on the far right A-Wing. :lol:
Which image, and what about the engines?
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Man, fuck this shit Mr. President... Get some dope ass screen caps of EMPIRE!!!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

This is the second set of screencaps I've seen from the Hi-Def OT. For the life of me, I can't figure out why people do so many captures of random scenes with the characters, and so few of the space scenes. Not that I don't love the characters, but come on, I need some 1080p Avenger love!
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Some Devastator love wouldn't hurt either, I mean 99% of all known ISD pictures are of the Mk. II model. :(
and what about the engines?
The right-most matte-painted A-wing appears to have its left engine drooping down towards the hangar deck. :p
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Uraniun235 wrote:These played over a cable channel in Germany.

Surlethe, I'm just going to link you to a directory of the requested screencaps rather than link the images individually:

link
Uraniun, you, sir, are made of win. Thank you very much.

Oh, may I also request some more of the Executor?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Jedilaw
Redshirt

Post by Jedilaw »

VT-16 wrote:Some Devastator love wouldn't hurt either, I mean 99% of all known ISD pictures are of the Mk. II model. :(
Well, the filming model is more than twice as large (8 feet versus 3 feet) and considerably more detailed. It makes sense that the Imperator would get more coverage.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Jedilaw wrote:Well, the filming model is more than twice as large (8 feet versus 3 feet) and considerably more detailed. It makes sense that the Imperator would get more coverage.
Even in drawings? :wtf: