"World War Hulk" - Commentary and Discussion

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Ah but when you are counted in that handfull....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Ah but when you are counted in that handfull....
That isn't a particualrly heroic standpoint.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Yes that was what I was implying. Not very heroic at all.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Spoilers for a number of comics, WWH and otherwise.

I apologize if I'm retreading something from one of the other comic discussion threads.

The latest World War Hulk has made me wonder if Dr. Strange is under some kind of influence. I don't think he's actually a Skrull, but there's a few things that spring to mind:

He was in isolated imprisonment for an undisclosed time by the Skrulls (as were the other Illuminati, of course).

He was a significant figure in House of M, which resulted in a serious depowering of the human population by the Decimation.

He sat out the Civil War rather than helping either side.

After Civil War was settled, he then became a significant supporter of the only real rogue faction left that opposed the registered heroes.

Strange agreed to send the Hulk away, though he had personal experience with that tactic and knew it doesn't work, that the Hulk just comes back angrier and more dangerous.

Strange was one of the four who made the choice to put him on a ship and send it to an uninhabited planet. Yet for some reason, the ship travels to Sakaar instead AND its reactor explodes - that's two very significant things that it did wrong. Is it unreasonable to wonder if two critical failures are better explained by a single deliberate act of sabotage? In short, combined with the previous point, that Strange would know that the Hulk going to such a planet would more easily be able to come back, and be far, far angrier?

In World War Hulk, the Hulk sees through the Sentry deception and responds with violence. When he sees Strange, he reacts the same. Now, obviously he's pissed at Strange, but there's also the fact that the Hulk can see Strange's astral form. Could he have seen through him to the influencing force underneath? (highly doubtful, but I'm just presenting everything)

Strange brings out Zom. As indicated previously in this thread, something Strange really should know better than to do.

Is Jessica Jones a Skrull? If so, then the Spell of Tartashi Strange used in New Avengers 30 should have revealed her as someone who was "living in deception towards us." (Her hostile reaction to Wong's innocent question about not breastfeeding -which is obviously something a reptilian couldn't do- and the glowing baby eyes seem to support that she's a Skrull).

All of these can be explained away as coincidences, foolish mistakes, or just barking up the wrong tree. But I thought I'd put them together to see if anyone had any further comments.
Chuck

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

As with all recent Marvel stuff the WWH stuff sounds a bit off and either there's been some big ol' plot for awhile a Marvel to stir stuff up and then have a big reveal, or they are fucking things up again. Some of it depends on how much the actual authors have had to lie about things inorder to keep things going. If there's been no lying then they are just fucking things up.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that if Jessica Jones is a Skrull she could breast feed. There was an oooooooold FF annual IIRC where some Skrulls were hiding in a town as cows and eventually the majority of the people in the town got messed up and started developing some shapeshifting properties because they'd been drinking the milk of the local cows, which were actually Skrulls.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yes, they can in a mammal form, they just don't have an instinct to do so.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Tsyroc wrote:Anyway, I wanted to mention that if Jessica Jones is a Skrull she could breast feed. There was an oooooooold FF annual IIRC where some Skrulls were hiding in a town as cows and eventually the majority of the people in the town got messed up and started developing some shapeshifting properties because they'd been drinking the milk of the local cows, which were actually Skrulls.
Oh yes, for some reason I had forgotten Skrull cows.
Chuck

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Tsyroc wrote:Anyway, I wanted to mention that if Jessica Jones is a Skrull she could breast feed. There was an oooooooold FF annual IIRC where some Skrulls were hiding in a town as cows and eventually the majority of the people in the town got messed up and started developing some shapeshifting properties because they'd been drinking the milk of the local cows, which were actually Skrulls.
Shapeshifting...cows?

That is both hilariously awful, and a really odd way to get superpowers. Did any of the people from the town end up keeping their shapeshifting abilities?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Molyneux wrote: Shapeshifting...cows?
They were just regular Skrulls, Reed Richards hypnotised them into thinking they were cows so they remained as such.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Molyneux wrote:Shapeshifting...cows?

Yep. That kickstarted the Kree-Skrull War too, if I remember correctly. Vision stumbled into Avengers Mansion and gasped something like, "Three cows shot me down" before collapsing. I haven't looked back through my collection in a while, so I can't be sure.

There was another reference to it a few years back, when Marvel published an AWFUL comic called Skrull Kill Krew, written by the (admittedly) drunken Grant Morrison and Mark Millar. Those same cows ended up being slaughtered and ground up into hamburger; people ate the hamburger and ended up gaining superpowers. It was, as you can imagine, pretty damned stupid, especially if thise cows had already regained their abilities and memories, and were able to take down Vision.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Sonnenburg wrote:Spoilers for a number of comics, WWH and otherwise.
I refer you to the foresighted words of Warren "Internet Jesus" Ellis about Civil War.

"Anal Skrulls

Mark My Words"
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Daaaaang.

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_ ... tml#cutid1

Ghost Rider spoilers.

Probably the most satisfying panels I've read of WWH.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Praxis wrote:Daaaaang.

Ghost Rider spoilers.

I hate Ghost Rider BECAUSE they never draw a damn motorcycle correctly. :evil:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

havokeff wrote:

Ghost Rider spoilers.

What's incorrect about it?
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

Ghost Rider And the Hulk killing the Illuminati? Made of Win!
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Molyneux wrote:
havokeff wrote:

Ghost Rider spoilers.

Wha...??? :shock: Almost everything, other than it has two wheels an engine (I guess you can call it that) and a frame.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

havokeff wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
havokeff wrote: I hate Ghost Rider BECAUSE they never draw a damn motorcycle correctly. :evil:
Wha...??? :shock: Almost everything, other than it has two wheels an engine (I guess you can call it that) and a frame.
Given that I have never owned or ridden a motorcycle, or indeed been closer than about five feet to one for more than a few minutes, my knowledge of what a bike is supposed to look like is somewhat limited.

I'm pretty sure the tires aren't supposed to be on fire, though.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Molyneux wrote:Given that I have never owned or ridden a motorcycle, or indeed been closer than about five feet to one for more than a few minutes, my knowledge of what a bike is supposed to look like is somewhat limited.

I'm pretty sure the tires aren't supposed to be on fire, though.
Well, he IS the Ghost Rider, after all. I can forgive the flaming tires. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)