havokeff is drawing (NSFW)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Zaia's Castle.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

That is a nice castle, though the architect could certainly have improved it (Defensively speaking). :D.
(The Slope makes siege weapons or even rolled rocks dangerous, the hard to destroy bridge makes the river unusable as a moat, unstable outer tower, no pulley system or the like for food...) ;).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'm sure Zaia would say that you're just jealous 'cause you don't have a castle and she does.

I say it should've been a flying castle.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Nice, but it doesn't seem like that good of a location to me. What if a besieging army has miners that dig under the castle, then collapse the tunnels and send the entire castle falling down the mountain? Of course, it would be exceedingly difficult to sap a castle built on rocky terrain.
Artwise, an extremely good drawing, havokeff.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Obviously it's not a war castle. It's positioned there for the view and the cool mountain breeze. 'sides, what if in order to go to that big castle and that whole area in the picture, you had to traverse this horrible rocky narrow zig zagging pathway? And what if there are other defense bastions before that castle?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Obviously it's not a war castle. It's positioned there for the view and the cool mountain breeze. 'sides, what if in order to go to that big castle and that whole area in the picture, you had to traverse this horrible rocky narrow zig zagging pathway? And what if there are other defense bastions before that castle?
Well in that case, the design and location would be fine.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Yay, it's absolutley BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Thank you, havokeff!!! (Don't listen to the squabblers; they're just envious of my lovely new abode!) :mrgreen:
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I was right!

havokeff, ever tried photomanipulating photoshopping or painting or coloring your works?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I was right!

havokeff, ever tried photomanipulating photoshopping or painting or coloring your works?
Nope. Don't know how (the photo manipulation and photo shopping). You are right however. The entire base of the mountain is fortified and has several tiers of defenses well before you reach the main castle which I drew.

The castle itself is several thousands of years old, and has been the home of the rulers of the Great Lands for the majority of that time. Over the years the majority of the mountain has been hollowed and made into a great city and an unassailable fortress.

What we see in the drawing is the show piece, and the home of the current ruler Queen Zaia. She has ruled with love and benevolence for over three centuries, kept young and beautiful by the magic of the Lands.

The turret that hangs the farthest out to the left is a beacon that is kept lit at all times and bellows out pure white smoke as long as a ruler of the Great Lands is in good health and only blackens when the ruler passes. It stays black while a new ruler is found. During that time a Stewart, who is chosen by the dying Queen or King, will rule until the Great Lands graces the populace with its new monarch.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Yeah, looking at it more closely I can see the tunnels into the fortified mountain.

Can you do me the Walaistor Militia Lancers? Medieval style light cavalry (carrying lances, obviously), led by a man wearing a WWI German overcoat (like this) and armed with a British cavalry sabre such as the M1796? (It's a long story; suffice to say it has to do with an RPG campaign I'm planning)
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

havokeff wrote:The entire base of the mountain is fortified and has several tiers of defenses well before you reach the main castle which I drew.

The castle itself is several thousands of years old, and has been the home of the rulers of the Great Lands for the majority of that time. Over the years the majority of the mountain has been hollowed and made into a great city and an unassailable fortress.

What we see in the drawing is the show piece, and the home of the current ruler Queen Zaia. She has ruled with love and benevolence for over three centuries, kept young and beautiful by the magic of the Lands.

The turret that hangs the farthest out to the left is a beacon that is kept lit at all times and bellows out pure white smoke as long as a ruler of the Great Lands is in good health and only blackens when the ruler passes. It stays black while a new ruler is found. During that time a Stewart, who is chosen by the dying Queen or King, will rule until the Great Lands graces the populace with its new monarch.
*sighs wistfully and starts daydreaming*

Thank you again, havokeff. I love the picture and I love the story you built around it. Gorgeous!! :luv:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Inspired by Publius and his awesome work. I don't quite have the word skills he has though. Anyway, some of Marvel's royalty.

Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Is that X on the left? If so, I can only say one thing:

Mein fuhrer, I can walk!

P.S. It's a cool drawing, but I've always wanted to do that Dr. Strangelove line.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ok, so more on Zaia's castle.

The smaller castle structures above the main castle are where the keepers of the magic and science reside.

To it's left is the dragon pen. The dragons, who long ago swore allegiance to the rulers of the Great Land, make swift transportation and law enforcement possible.

The large waterfall, if you follow it down, leads to the water system that feeds the residents of the mountain. You can make out 4 giant mills that catch the water and then feed it into the irrigation system.

In the foreground is a sentry at post.

A dragon is delivering the Queen's cousin from his realm in the war torn territories for council.

There are several keeps that follow down the path to the bottom of the mountain. You can see two of them.

The building to the right of the larger waterfall is the resting place of the Queen's/King's personal Dragons, who usually is also the ruler of the Dragon Clans.

Down around the base of the mountain, you can see two of the castle cities that are integrated into the Great Wall. 37 castle cities surround the mountain fortress.

Further out the two giant rivers, Phelin, and Sotumour feed and bring life to the Living Valley. Phelin is the river bisecting the forrest Tul. The rivers also serve as swift transportation lanes from merchants and favored travellers from the far off lands.

Great bridges cross the rivers and have giant watch towers erected on either side. On the top of these watch towers, 3 more of which can see be seen out on the plains, are more dragon pens, which in times of war can house a squadron of Dragons and their riders.

Out on the plain is the fabled Black City. It is built entirely of an obsidian rock which gives off an eerie gleam. It is also the home of the Queen's most stalwart and trusted warriors, The Derriton Legions.

Out beyond the plains and the watchtowers is the Hybor Ocean.

EDIT: The road out to the left bisects the ruins of the Fallen City. It is legend that a power over came the populace of the city and they raised an army and attacked the reigning King. The attack was futile as the Dragons and the Derriton easily defeated their offensive. To this day, some 1800 years later, no one knows why the populace revolted, or who controlled the power that caused it.

Sorry if I got carried away there, but it's fun. :D
Last edited by Havok on 2007-08-07 12:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Dude, fucking sweet. It's going to take quite the army to get through to that castle, quite the army. There must be mass graves somewhere on the road marking the high water points of various invaders.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

no, the mass graves for the former invading army is known as the dragon's latrene....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

hav, that is awesome. The design is just generally badass.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Nice work.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

That is absolutely fantastic. You have great eye for image composition, especially for wide open scenes, and you tell a couple of paragraphs worth of story in that one scene.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I don't think anybody or anything could attack that, the sheer numbers of troops and logistics needed would be a fucking nightmare, with the impregnable mountain fortress having essentially inexhaustible supplies and fresh water (havokeff, what sort of crops do they grow inside the caverns? Do they use mirrors and lenses to enhance conditions in the underground farms? Ventalation must be sophisticated as well, if this is a Medieval Cheyenne).

I'd also like to see close up drawings of the mountain citidel's outer perimeter with the Great Wall, one of the 37 castle towns and a dragon watchtower...
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

:mrgreen: I love it, I love it, I love it! The story, the picture, everything! It's all just so beautiful, havokeff. :luv:
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

It looks like it has several runways built into the mountains for dragons. :)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I'm sure Zaia would say that you're just jealous 'cause you don't have a castle and she does.
... You've never seen My HOUSE, have you. 8) .
Who needs a castle when you already have a Gate, moat and food supplies :wink: .

Also, concerning the castle's defensive arrangements - The solution is simple, find a Doohicky of dragon control then laugh as your slaves burn the castle away along with it's helpless smallfolk :wink: .
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

DEATH wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:I'm sure Zaia would say that you're just jealous 'cause you don't have a castle and she does.
... You've never seen My HOUSE, have you. 8) .
Who needs a castle when you already have a Gate, moat and food supplies :wink: .

Also, concerning the castle's defensive arrangements - The solution is simple, find a Doohicky of dragon control then laugh as your slaves burn the castle away along with it's helpless smallfolk :wink: .
STOP TRYING TO INVADE MY REALM! I'll have the dragons toast you into a cinder at first sighting. :D
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

*shrugs* I don't see what the big fuzz is, anyway. All I see in DEATH's thread is a lot of grass :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!